How to disable duplicate control tree views?

I have the Controls tab and the composite view tab (that shows the layers and the timelines) side by side. Weirdly, the controls for each layer are duplicated between the two:

Is there a way to disable the expandable layers in the composite view, so that I can control everything from the Controls tab without it auto-expanding layers in the Composite view each time I highlight/select a property?

Comments

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator

What you are calling the "Composite View" is the "Timeline," and  no, there is no way to disable layer parameters in that panel. In fact, if you did, you would be unable to see your keyframes at all. The Timeline controls are your primary interface. 

You can shut off the Controls panel from the Workspaces tab. That's actually the redundant set of controls. 

• Thanks Triem. I liked having a vertical view for the controls (to minimize scrolling up and down), that was the reason I wanted this view. On a widescreen, it's attached to the timeline which requires horizontal space, so I couldn't have that flexibility. Minor issue though.

You can independently move/resize panels in the interface. My Controls panel takes up top to bottom space on my custom setup. 

https://youtu.be/MzUv7jrX8pc

This video is for an older version of Hitfilm but is still mostly accurate. The section on customizing the interface is accurate. 

• @Triem23

@voidpointer

"You can shut off the Controls panel from the Workspaces tab. That's actually the redundant set of controls. "

Slight correction, the control panel displays the 'properties' section which is not available in the timeline. For example the layer alighnment, blend modes etc. In the editor, it is the only interface for these settings.

@DannyDev Thanks for the correction. But aren't blend modes accessible via the right-click context menu?

Mental note - turn on alignment panel. One of those things I've not needed so far, so I forget about it.

• DannyDevDannyDev Staff
    edited June 12

@Triem23

"But aren't blend modes accessible via the right-click context menu?"

Sure but I just wanted to point out that the control panel isn't a straight copy of the timeline.

Another big difference is that the control panel displays 'rich controls'. Rotation dials, color curves, color wheels, scropes etc.

@DannyDev all true. ;)