Help with Gradients

Hello, I am attempting to make a movie poster but am having a world of trouble copying what a gradient is doing in a Photoshop Tutorial.  Any suggestions?  I am at the step where I've applied a linear Gradient

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0n7llXgSn4U 

Comments

• I figured out a good chunk of it, I am just having issues now with the radial gradient.

• What issue are you having with the radial gradient?

• Hey @axelwilkinson I was having issues replicating the the radial gradient's properties from the tutorial, but figured it out.  Would you have any recommendations on software to make tutorials?   As I get back into using the software I'd love to share things that I am learning and how I am progressing.  I don't seem to have the software I use to use and would love to get back into sharing what I am doing.

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator

@MichaelJames do you have a budget for screen recording software? I think Javert uses OBS. Axel... I have no idea. If you have an Nvidia card you have Shadowplay, and Windows 10 has a built in screen recorder https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/how-to-video-screen-capture-windows-10 VLC also can do screen recording. 

There are the commercial options like Camtasia. I use BB Flashback, but that's only because of an OBS problem I can't figure out.

Anything that can grab your screen and mic is a good starting point. After that it depends on what you'll use to edit.

Let's look at some factors/options here. 

First thing to look at is how the screen recorder (SR) records. Most will grab a low-bitrate mp4 file. Some grab h.265. If you're editing in Hitfilm you probably don't want to grab h.265 as this will force you to transcode to mp4 (or Cineform). Look to see if the SR grabs variable or constant frame rate. You want constant. While Hitfilm (and other) NLEs might try to conform VFR files it takes a lot of time and won't always be accurate. With VFR files you get better results transcoding to CFR. Conventional wisdom holds that Hitfilm is particularly slow with mp4 and transcode to Cineform gives a better edit experience. With Intel/Nvidia hardware decode in Hitfilm 12+ this is starting to change. Mp4 is now hardware accelerated in the Editor (but not - yet - on render). Still, if you're AMD, you'll get better edit response in Cineform.

Some software records to custom/proprietary formats. This is why I'd prefer to get off BB Flashback... I have to render mp4 from it to use the files in other software (BB Flashback's editor is terrible, and it's rendering is soooo slow!) 

If you intend on editing in Hitfilm you'll want audio software to record additional VO. Audacity is a good  free choice. If I remember correctly you've dropped Vegas Pro from your Toolkit? 

Otherwise, what tool will you use to edit? Several SR apps have their own editors  but I've found them clunky and prefer to avoid them (see notes on BB Flashback, above).

Pending input from others I'd say try one or more free options first - Win 10, Shadowplay, VLC, OBS. OBS is likely the most popular choice of those four. Chances are one of those would do what you need. 

• @MichaelJames I use the free version of OBS for all my tutorials. I have never had a problem with it. The version that I use produces an FLV file which I can quickly transcode using Handbrake.

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator

@FilmSensei maybe I should try FLV from OBS. the thing is I'm trying to skip the transcode step. BB Flashback takes 3x the video time to transcode, so, if I record a couple hours (and for a 45 minute tutorial, you know I do), it's taking six hours to transcode. Handbrake is much faster. But, anytime I try recording mp4 from OBS I get dropouts. It's actually a huge part of the reason why I haven't been doing tutorials. The Infinity War tutorial I did for FXHOME took some 200 hours of computer time. Much of this was due to OBS issues, because I had to re-record four times. Ugh.

• @Triem23 Yikes! That's a lot of time.

I have my process down to a science, and it works really well. I screen capture with OBS then transcode it with Handbrake. It's literally a matter of drag and drop. HitFilm does a perfect job of synching the external audio everytime, and has NEVER failed at it! I have a preset for audio leveling that works perfectly every time as well, so there is no outside audio application needed. I have a HitFilm Project File that I load and start with that contains all of my tutorial assets (Intro, Outro, CTA, Lower Third, Sound FX, Backgrounds, etc. )Then I just start editing the tutorial until I'm happy and export. Piece of cake!

I don't spend a lot of time on making tutorials. I spend most of my time playing around until I get the project dialed in.

• @MichaelJames I have used Camtasia for quite a while now, but I also used Screenium back in the day.

I also use HitFilm for some stuff, like auto-syncing the audio for my intros, and any color grading that needs done for those to-camera bits.

• @AlelWilkinson

For those who are interested in Camtasia, there has been a Humble Bundle from time to time that has Camtasia as one of the softwares. I purchased the bundle with Camtasia and many other softwares last year for about 25 bucks. Each of the included softwares is worth over a hundred. Good deal if they run it again.

• @Triem23 and @AxelWilkinson @Datadesign thank you guys for the recommendations.

• i was searching for this since long time, finnaly got a perfect solutions, thanx a lot to all member

• @Triem23 I figured out a good chunk of it, I am just having issues now with the radial gradient.

• edited September 19

Since Imerge is a compositor more then an image editor.  I would approach projects as such.

Built the project out of several separate 16bit png or other files.  Create the gradient as a separate image Imerge doc.  Then save it as 16bit PNG.  Do the same for the background, foreground, and any complex elements. And then create a final composite assembly image, using masks and effects.  Be sure to saving the .Imerge files for each step.   

A good trick I use in other applications, is to build images over a background color of (128,128,128 in RGB) and then use Hard, Soft Light or Overlay Layer mode when you composite them. These modes treat gray values of 128,128,128, as neutral.    Values higher then 128 will lighten the image, and those over 128 will darken the image. Leaving the color  and saturation values untouched.  

It's helpful to add a Gaussian blur above the gradient, it will help smooth it out a bit more.

----

The issue  with gradients is that it's an effect.  And If you apply it to an effect's layer you have to place an image or solid layer below for the gradient to appear.  You cant transform the position of a effects layers so you have to position all effects or mask separately on the layer.

And if you apply a gradient effect to a  solid layer. But again you can't make it 100% transparent and you can't  transform at solid layer so you have to position everything separately with in the layer.

I might work better if gradients were their own layer or maybe add it as a subset of the image layer transformable and prepositional or make the effects layers,  position transformable.  

• @AlelWilkinson

For those who are interested in Camtasia, there has been a Humble Bundle from time to time that has Camtasia as one of the softwares. I purchased the bundle with Camtasia and many other softwares last year for about 25 bucks. Each of the included softwares is worth over a hundred. Good deal if they run it again.