Extend last frame of Video Element after it completes?

edited May 19 in HitFilm Pro Support

Hello.  I am using a piece of pre-keyed stock VFX footage -- of ground cracks that appear, then fall exposing a hole in the ground..  It is approximately 6 seconds long..

It imports great into Hitfilm Pro 12, but the issue is it disappears after completion, so the "hole in the ground" does not stay visible for the rest of the composite shot.  The website I purchased it from has a tutorial using After Effects with an option called "Freeze Upon Completion".. I don't use AE, but it looks like that keeps the last frame of the element visible for the duration of the shot after its normal completion..

Does anyone know if Hitfilm has a similar feature?  Or, any ideas on a workaround?  (I tried lengthening the SPEED/DURATION option, but that made no change. )

I'm thinking a keyed .jpg image of the last frame added onto the end of the element would do the trick.. But while I tried using the Snipping tool to create one, the area that is supposed to be keyed out is a "checker board" type pattern, and I do not know what key effect can remove this.  (the pattern is removed automatically when i import the original video element).

Any and all suggestions are appreciated. Thank you!

-Mike

Comments

• edited May 19

Hello.  I am using a piece of pre-keyed stock VFX footage -- of ground cracks that appear, then fall exposing a hole in the ground..  It is approximately 6 seconds long..

It imports great into Hitfilm Pro 12, but the issue is it disappears after completion, so the "hole in the ground" does not stay visible for the rest of the composite shot.  The website I purchased it from has a tutorial using After Effects with an option called "Freeze Upon Completion".. I don't use AE, but it looks like that keeps the last frame of the element visible for the duration of the shot after its normal completion..

Does anyone know if Hitfilm has a similar feature?  Or, any ideas on a workaround?  (I tried lengthening the SPEED/DURATION option, but that made no change. )

I'm thinking a keyed .jpg image of the last frame added onto the end of the element would do the trick.. But while I tried using the Snipping tool to create one, the area that is supposed to be keyed out is a "checker board" type pattern, and I do not know what key effect can remove this.  (the pattern is removed automatically when i import the original video element).

Any and all suggestions are appreciated. Thank you!

-Mike

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator

Hitfilm doesn't have a simple freeze frame effect. Your best option is to slice off the last frame, then use the RATE STRETCH tool to extend the frame to the end of the comp. 

Other option is to Export the last frame of the stock as a PNG, reimport and place on the timeline. 

I'm late for a meeting, but I'll try to remember to come back and discuss the SPEED effect. It works in an unusual manner, and explaining that will tell you why it didn't work as you expected. Tag me with a reminder,  please.

•  Hi Triem23, and thank you for the very quick response.. First things first - my apologies for posting the inquiry twice.. this is my first time posting to the FXhome forums in years, so i was unfamiliar with the newer format and had a browser hiccup..  I also tried posting this topic in 2 different forums -- i assume that is probably a 'no no', but wasn't sure which Forum subject it best fit under.. Lastly, i had originally also asked about posting screenshots /images in my Discussion topic.. but i found a sticky thread in the "Everything Else" forums where that is discussed (and looks like cannot be done unless the image is externally hosted)..  Anyway..

I did a search in the user manual for RATE STRETCH, but couldn't find it.. hoping you can guide me to its location, please..?

I'll try the export to .PNG and let you know how that works.. that sounds like what i was trying to do with making a .jpg using the SNIPPING TOOL, but i didn't think to use Hitfilm itself to perform the export.. hopefully the .PNG will come out prekeyed, and not with the checkerboard area that the screenshot created.. 

Last but not least - to "tag you with a reminder", i wasn't sure how to do that.. wasn't sure if this gets to you just by replying to your reply..?  or, if there was some other mechanism within the website where i could send you a reminder..?  please advise.. and thanks again!

• @mikeb ; @Triem23 Typing the names as I did with the @ symbol in front is how the forum tags people, so he now has a reminder.  No need to use the sniping tool to export a PNG frame.  Just line the playhead up at the very end of your video line and use the frame advance icon to advance until it disappears then go back one and then go to the bottom of the viewer window and click on the word Options and go all the way to the bottom option and click export frame.  It will ask where you want to save it so make a note so you can find it and reimport it into your project.  Hope this helps until Triem23 can get back to you.

•  Wow, very impressed that multiple folks in the community replied with helpful suggestions, and did so very quickly.. that is awesome!

@NormanPCN - thank you for that link.. It looks like i did try the "Rate Stretch", but i referred to it as the "Speed/Duration" option.. Not sure why i couldn't find that reference in my manual, perhaps i missed it.. 

But @Triem23 and @tddavis - exporting the last frame as suggested to a .PNG worked perfectly!  I could then use the RATE STRETCH/ Duration option to extend it very easily and fit the comp shot.. and, it came across pre-keyed.. the workaround was a success - thanks again to all!

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator

@mikeb with the PNG you don't have to Rate Stretch it. Just entend. 

• Glad to be of some small help.