In/Out Points With Composite Shots?

I imported some footage that I shot into my project.  When I click on it in the media panel, it appears in the Trimmer and I can set In/Out points so that when I add it to my editor timeline from there, only the section between those points appears.  Sweet!  But for some reason, composite shots behave differently...

I create a composite shot out of my footage that needs to be cleaned up a bit.  Once that's done, if I go back to the Editor, and click on my new Composite Shot that I just made, nothing appears in the Trimmer.  Alright, so I can set the in/out points inside the Composite Shot itself, but I can't use them in the editor because the I have to add the shot from the Media panel instead of the trimmer.  So, am I missing something or doing it wrong?  I'm very new to video editing and new to HitFilm.  Logically (at least to me) what I am trying to do should work, and yet...

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator

Let's talk workflow for a second. 

Editors and Compositors work in fundamentally different ways. Even though much of the interface is identical. Editors are track-based - tracks can have multiple media clips. The track model is "virtual videotape." Layer based Compositors use layers. A layer can have one media clip. Layers are a lot like classic animation where you have a background painting (bottom layer) and transparent cels with drawings stacked over the background (upper layers). 

Another difference is  in the Editor, audio is split from video into its own track, where in a comp the audio remains embedded in video's layers. 

The Editor is where you put clips together into a show/program. 

A Composite Shot is creating a virtual/procedural video clip to move into the Editor. 

Because Hitfilm combines Editor/Compositor tabs it's common to assume both modules do the same thing. They don't.

The Trimmer is an EDITOR tool. 

Now, Composite Shots are procedural video clips, unless pre-rendered (at which point its just a real video clip). A pre-rendered Composite might show up in the Trimmer, but I'm not on the PC to check  Workflow wise you're supposed to create the Composite Shot at the duration and In/Out points you want to begin with. 

Even without the Trimmer you can always directly grab the edges of the clip in the Editor and trim there. In fact, many editors, myself included, never use the Trimmer at all. We just trim directly on the Editor Timeline. 

• edited May 6

Ah!  Okay, thank you for that.  I knew the difference in the kind of timelines but I'm still wrapping my head around proper workflow.  (Also, I tried pre-rendering a composite shot and it still did not show up in the trimmer, but I did see frame previews in the editor timeline.)

So let me explain what I am trying to do.  I am working on making a music video which is basically a quickly switched series of shots of the individual musicians in a band.  Each musician was filmed individually on a white seamless in a series of shots.  The shots are sections of the song and not a run from top to bottom and provide different angles and multiple takes of certain sections.  Each shot has embedded audio of the actual song with embedded click track for ease of sync'ing the shots into the actual sequence of the song.

My plan was to import the master audio (with click) and then line up all of the shots to it in the editor, and then slice them up and assemble them into that rapidly switching series of clips taken from across the different layers.  Now... what I was trying to do was convert each shot into a composite clip and apply some adjustments to it (and masking out all of the areas in the shot that were not the white seamless since they are going to be the same across the entirety of that shot, and therefore be the same in all of the little clips that may come from it when I assemble the full montage.  This is why I had a composite shots to begin with.  Using the trimmer makes it a lot easier to align up the individual shots to the master audio track.

So if I understand you correctly... the proper way to use composite clips is after the timeline has been assembled?  Or should I export the "corrected" versions of each shot and then align them to the audio?  Or align all of the original shots and then replace them in place with composite shots with the corrections before slicing them up?  Turning each "slice" into a separate composite shot seems like an excessive amount of work considering how many slices there will be, but maybe that's the correct way...  Or am I thinking about this all wrong?  I'm not so far into the editing that I can't scrap what I did and start over if there is a better way to go about it.

• edited September 16

I may be going crazy but I'm positive this it was possible to open composite shots in the trimmer until the last update and now suddenly you can't anymore.

I'm currently working on a project where I needed to use a composite shot to set up some complex animated masking on a clip.  It was easiest to do it all in one go and now I want to select different parts of that compost shot for different parts of my timeline but there is no longer an easy way to do this other than pulling the whole composite onto the time line each time and trimming it manually each time.

• Hi @GeneralNerdery, this post was from a while ago (before I started here) and seems to say that using the composite shot in the trimmer was not a feature of the program, so it's unlikely it vanished in the last update, but I may be wrong. Why do you need to trim the composite shot each time, can you not just use the slice tool if you're never reusing parts of the comp and then only have to import the comp once?