Imported video shows as a Black screen

I'm sure someone has asked this before, but I'm having trouble with seeing my video files. I just got a custom built computer for PC gaming and video editing, and was recommended this program. Unfortunately, I only get audio from my video files, no video. Its just a black screen. I have tried pre-rendering, messing with settings, option, etc. I was unsure how to fix this issue or if I am just out of luck.

Please let me know what information y'all need, I honestly have no idea what I'm doing at this point.

Comments

• It sounds like your video file may be in a format that is not supported by HitFilm. Does the issue occur in the Media panel, on the Trimmer, on the Viewer, or all of the above?

What format and codec is the video you imported? What camera was it recorded with?

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator

Axel is probably correct. Your footage is probably from a phone or GoPro recording in h.265,which Hitfilm can't read. Chances are you'll have to transcode your footage to either h.264, Cineform or ProRes.

This video discusses differences between video codecs, how to use MediaInfo to determine what your footage is, and several free options to transcode. 

https://youtu.be/Yqhl0mRuTng