Is there a way to group clips?

Is there a way to group clips into a folder so the workspace isn't so messy? Sorry if this is a dumb question. Thanks!

Comments

• Currently, it is only possible to sort into groups by media type. You can also display the clips in a few different orderings (alphabetical, date, etc.)

FXHome did say in a recent live stream that they have big plans for media management coming in the future, so stay tuned!

• There is also the 'Group by folder' option. Then you can create a folder structure yourself with sub-folders etc. However the management of clips and folders is not so straightforward so any future improvements would be good.

If you have a lot of files grouped by media I found it was quite messy to switch to folders. Best to create the basic folder structure when you start a project - I have a 'template' project for that. Unfortunatley HitFilm doesn't follow your folder structure for new composites, new planes and imported media.

• This is a really important issue for me. Davinchi Resolve has dynamic folders based on criteria you enter. So I was able to have folders dynamically pull out all media created on a particular date as I imported media from multiple devices.

This made creating a linear video really easy when using media with multiple naming conventions. I prefer Hitfilm for many reasons but on this front the media management options are really lacking. 

To triforcefx, I have yet to find a way to sort other than by type and file name, and then ascending or descending. Are you saying that there should be another option there for date?

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator

@AmateurVidGuy I think @triforcefx mis-spoke. Currently the sort options are Name and Type. 

As he mentioned, FXHOME has announced massive re-tooling of the Media Bin is coming in a future update. The Wishlist thread is here https://fxhome.com/forum/discussion/38770/the-hitfilm-wishlist-what-features-do-you-want#latest  and the Wishlist is regularly checked by the devs, so you might wish to repost your comments there.

Personally I'm waiting for Metadata sort/filter.