My first short film!!!

So I'm gonna premiere my short film on my channel at around 2:30, so go ahead and go there and see it LIVE!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2oCyw7HI0etNCoeit7oENw

Comments

• edited April 2019

Pretty good. I don't know if you want any advice, but since I'm old and bossy, I'll just blurt it out. On your next film, I would pay really close attention to your cuts. Your effects look really good, so I'm basically talking about the edits and continuity. For example, look up the 180 rule and you'll get info about doing your shots in away that the audience always understands what they're looking at.  Hope that helps.

• Ok thanks!

• Great stuff! This sums up what it's all about. Escapism and fun :)

• I can't fault the effects,. They match really well.

To make it a story I want to know who they are, where they are,  why they are fighting and the consequences of which of them wins. 

• Yeah, I planned to add a line to it, but the audio was so bad, and we couldn't get together before the deadline to re-dub it... Also, the consequences of who wins? They both die...

• I think DafterThings is referring to the "what's at stake?" part. He wants to know why they're fighting and why each character wants to win.

I agree with what's been said, your effects are looking amazing! It's nice to see someone put so much effort and detail into effects. I think it's time to focus on cinematography and storytelling. Obviously, you're filming on a potato. In some ways, that makes it difficult to improve. But there are still things you can learn about cinematography with it and improve your look. 

I thought the light saber fight was a bit weak. This was largely due to the lack of interesting camera angles... I know it's hard with a two man band where you're the actor and the guy behind the camera (I've been there)... But it's still possible to look good with multiple camera angles, even if you have to set up and reset up multiple times, or reshoot the same scene 3 or 4 times.

• edited April 2019

@triforcefx The lightsaber fight was the only one filmed on a surface, and we didn't write the choreography written, so we couldn't move the camera it's the effects that are glitchy, for the rest, yes it was handheld. I could've also stabilized but I think I'm happy with the footage, the lightsaber fight had to be slow, as we had to remind ourselves what we had planned(In hindsight, I could've sped up the footage...). This was literally shot in one day and edited in 3 which is why the end fight's effects looked very glitchy. The footage might be bad because of the grade, I brought down the highlights and upped the shadow to make of a dark look, at 0:30 in the video you see the raw camera footage.

• @Mistery1307 Really for stuff like this there's basically three ways of doing a fight... 1.) Choreography requires practice and knowing exactly what's going to happen and when. Admittedly, for a project this, that's way more effort than I would put in unless it's something me and the actors really enjoyed. This is how movies do it, and they can achieve some amazing results.

2.) You do what you did... Minimal planning and hoping for the best. The chances of it being any good are unlikely, at best.

3.) The hybrid approach. Have a general plan of what you want to happen... Plan out how the battle will go, though you don't need to plan every single move. Figure out who initiates the fight, who takes the lead at different points, any dialogue, who wins, and how they win. Practice general swordplay and any specific stunts you want to do (remember, safety first). Also plan the climax and end of the fight. Film sword play from multiple angles, mostly just remembering where your actors are positioned. Get in your dialogue, stunts, and fight progression. Make sure you capture plenty of footage (you could easily have a half-hour of footage for a one minute fight). Bring it into editing and have fun. If you got enough footage and planned well enough, you should be able to make a nice, cohesive fight scene without days or weeks or months of preparation.

• Also, if I had to guess, the color grading most likely had issues because the original video doesn't have much color data to work with. This isn't your fault, but rather the camera you're working with. Unfortunately, until you can get a better camera, this probably means you need to be very minimal and deliberate in your color correction and grading.