It's a tron test.

edited November 2019 in HitFilm User Gallery

Here's a VFX test I did based off of TRON: Legacy.

This thing

Comments

•  @Mistery1307 ; No, not a bad Tron test.  It actually works very well aside from the accidental mask showing, but that is easy to remedy on your next try.  Keep at it.

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator

This isn't bad. 

• Ok, here's what you need to do. Feather the mask on the top video to blend the seam. 
    • Place another copy of your right-side self on top. 
    • On this top copy use the masking tool to trace when your disc crosses the mask. This is frame by frame animation of the mask, which is always boring, but it only happens twice, for less than a second, so it's not too tedious. This is called "Rotoscoping" btw, and you should search out tutorials on YouTube. There are alternate techniques you'll explore later, but sometimes, you just have to roto. 

Fix that and you have a cool shot. I really like the blocky nature of the the derez and the timing feels right. Tddavis is right, keep at it! 

• edited March 2019

I think it looks good.

Sort out the mask as the others have said and, perhaps, put a glow (and reduce opacity?) on the derez and it'll be a very nice,  clean effect.
    What are you not happy with to say it is a 'bad' Tron test?

• As a first attempt, I like it also. Every shot starts somewhere, and I think this is a pretty good start.

Definitely do what @tddavis suggested and fix where the mask is showing by animating it appropriately.

I think that @Triem23's advice is good. Feather the mask to hide the seam and rotoscoping the Tron disc as it crosses the other character.

In addition to what @DafterThings said about maybe adding a glow, I would also think about adding a motion blur to the derez. That would be my personal preference and therefor an artistic choice.

Most of all, have fun playing around with the shot and creating something that YOU like!

PS: Tron Legacy is really a great movie! It is one of my son's favorite movies of all time.

• edited March 2019

I called it "bad" because

1. It's not really 3D
    2. It's not cubes; it's rectangles
    3. The texture is weird

By the standards of my work, it's amazing I didn't use a tutorial for it!

But in the standards of the internet, and compared to tron legacy, it looks weird, thanks for your support and tips!

@Triem23 I did rotoscope the disc, just not my elbow in the part where it crosses the square mask.

• edited March 2019

better one, thanks for the advice!

https://youtu.be/IsUeLN63VAE

•  @Mistery1307 ; Yes, very much improved, and you know, I never noticed the derez was rectangles until you mentioned it.  I thought you'd done little cubes in Blender and used the particles sim, but then I have old eyes :)  I think you're trasition from the live person to the derez just works quite nicely..

• @tddavis I used a shatter effect, but could not make cubes...

• @mistery1307 ; Looks much better (and it was good to begin with).

"By the standards of my work, it's amazing I didn't use a tutorial for it!"   That's good plus it helps us understand your current level.

"But in the standards of the internet, and compared to tron legacy, it looks weird, thanks for your support and tips!"  ...and we know your target. Of course, they have access to huge skill and resource but nothing wrong with aiming to get as close as possible to the film effect.

"I called it "bad" because

1. It's not really 3D
    2. It's not cubes; it's rectangles
    3. The texture is weird"

... and your own things you'd like to improve.

I don't think you're that far away from getting the specific effect you're after. I  am sure there are people here who could help improve it to the next level.

Best of luck.

• Excellent! I'm doing a TRON effect in my next movie......and your video has been a great inspiration for me. Well done! :)

• Thanks mate.......I'm onto it :). Cheers!!

• I like it, very cool. :)