New PC Build. How does this look?

I'm about to upgrade by PC for the first time in 5 years and wanted to know if anybody had any feedback regarding this build.
Besides browsing it would mainly be used for photo and video management in Adobe Lightroom, Hitfilm and little bit of rendering in Poser or Lux. (No Gaming)
Sapphire AMD Radeon R9 270X 2GB TOXIC
ASRock Fatal1ty H87 Performance LGA 1150 Motherboard
Intel Core i7 4771 Quad Core LGA 1150 3.5GHz CPU Processor
G.SKILL RipjawsX 8GB (2x 4GB) DDR3 1600MHz
Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" SATA III SSD MZ-7TE250BW
Seagate ST3000DM001 3TB Barracuda 3.5” 7200RPM SATA3
Samsung SH-224DB (BB) 24x Internal SATA OEM DVD Burner
Seasonic G Series 650W Power Supply ATX / EPS 80Plus
Zalman Z5 Plus ATX Mid Tower PC Case – Black

Two questions I am wondering about is if I really need the i7 processor? In most situations I would imagine that an i5 would be fine.
And should I spend a bit more on the Video card and maybe get a R9-280x?

Comments

• Toxic, fatality, ripjaws, barracuda... sounds like a mean machine!
  • Toxic, fatality, ripjaws, barracuda... sounds like a mean machine!

Well... if you are going to name stuff you may as well go hard!

• I'm about to upgrade by PC for the first time in 5 years and wanted to know if anybody had any feedback regarding this build.
    Besides browsing it would mainly be used for photo and video management in Adobe Lightroom, Hitfilm and little bit of rendering in Poser or Lux. (No Gaming)
    Sapphire AMD Radeon R9 270X 2GB TOXIC
    ASRock Fatal1ty H87 Performance LGA 1150 Motherboard
    Intel Core i7 4771 Quad Core LGA 1150 3.5GHz CPU Processor
    G.SKILL RipjawsX 8GB (2x 4GB) DDR3 1600MHz
    Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" SATA III SSD MZ-7TE250BW
    Seagate ST3000DM001 3TB Barracuda 3.5” 7200RPM SATA3
    Samsung SH-224DB (BB) 24x Internal SATA OEM DVD Burner
    Seasonic G Series 650W Power Supply ATX / EPS 80Plus
    Zalman Z5 Plus ATX Mid Tower PC Case – Black

Two questions I am wondering about is if I really need the i7 processor? In most situations I would imagine that an i5 would be fine.
    And should I spend a bit more on the Video card and maybe get a R9-280x?

Fred,
    I take you decided against the Nvidia GTX 760? I meant to reply to your post about which card to choose, but I've been totally swamped this week.
    Isn't the R9 280x quite expensive still? I'm not sure it would be worthwhile to purchase it yet, maybe wait for the price to drop a little but it does look like a very good card, on paper at least.
    What you've built so far seems good, one thing that's often forgotten though is the PSU (Seems as though you haven't, which is good), don't ever scrimp on the PSU. Always buy a good well known brand PSU, buy cheap, buy twice! :)
    Thanks,
    Ady

• I take you decided against the Nvidia GTX 760? I meant to reply to your post about which card to choose, but I've been totally swamped this week.

I was actually wanting the Nvidia to start with but kept reading the 270x was outperforming it, and seemed a tad cheaper when looking around.
    HOWEVER! Having another look at budget and specs I'm now thinking I will go the next level up in graphics cards.
    Either the 280x or GTX 770. I can get both for the same price. (and about $100 AUS more than the R9-270x or gtx 760)
    Going that way I would up the PSU to a 650 Seasonic as well.
    Leaning towards the GTX 770 right now. Maybe just for a change from the AMD. :/

• Looks pretty good.  
    I too would recommend an Nvidia card.  And if you don't need this computer right away, the new 8XX series cards should be coming this year, so you could wait to see what those bring to the table.  Nvidia's new architecture though has been pretty good at power efficiency, so you could take good advantage of your power supply.  There's also good support in a lot of VFX applications for Cuda, which helps a lot.  While AMD cards are usually cheaper than equivilent Nvidia cards, the tech utilizing their architecture seems to be better at non-graphical applications (by a lot), but Nvidia has a lot more support in graphics.
      Another thing to consider is getting an SSD to install your OS and applications on.  It will make your computer a lot faster, and you can use the 3TB HDD to store footage and assets.
      More Ram is also something to look at.  Working in programs like Mocha, AE or Nuke every day made me realize how small 8GB really is.  All the computers I now use for VFX have at least 32GB, because even with 16GB, I hit that ceiling way too often.
    There's my $0.02.