Recommended Free Video Converter?

edited February 7 in Everything Else

So I've been using two different online converters depending on the size of the file I have...  But it's getting annoying and I can only upload one at a time...

So, looking for recommendations for a FREE video converter that is SIMPLE and easy to use, (Will convert the files as they already are, size wise and quality wise) yet can do the following:

-Save to a specific folder

-Convert AVI to MP4

-Convert multiple files at once.

- NOT have any hidden spyware, malware and or bundled extra options to sneak in

It doesn't have to do much else besides that really.  Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• @babytoe ; I use a free utility called X Media Recode here.  Lots of formats and pretty simple to use.

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator

Handbrake, FFMpeg, VirtualDub. 

• Definitely recommend VirtualDub since you can transcode directly to Cineform with it.  HF likes Cineform.

• Also Resolve... it's a little more complicated, but also free. (Unless you pay for the paid version.)

Cineform seems to be the best option for going back and forth between Hitfilm and other software, unless HitFilm can also import DNxHR provided that the Avid codec pack is installed (that's also free).

That said, I've used Handbrake quite a bit, with good results.

@WhiteCranePhoto Hitfilm does read DNxHD, which was the recommended intermediate format before Cineform was added.

• DNxHD and DNxHR require you have Quicktime installed and that is something one would prefer to avoid. Apple is even dropping Quicktime from Macs (the whole "legacy" codec support disappearing thing). Not sure if MacOS has a 64-bit "replacement" for the old Quicktime system for people to target. 

@NormanPCN probably not. Typical. 

• Most NLEs have their own QuickTime decoders anyway, especially for Windows because Apple's Windows port was abysmal. I don't know whether or not HitFilm is one of them.

• Hitfilm does have a Prores decoder. Everything else 'Quicktime', nope. Vegas is similar to Hitfilm. Resolve is full native (self contained).

As for DNx codecs maybe Avid wants you to pay a royalty for its use. If no royalty then Hitfilm probably should eventually add it as a native codec as it is important enough as an intermediate.

@Triem23 "probably not. Typical. " 

Following a link from a forum, I read Apple's notice on this and while mentioning the 32-bit Quicktime was being dropped, Apple themselves did not mention users you move to "X" from Quicktime. Crazy that the notice seemed to indicate they never implemented a 64-bit version of Quicktime. MS ported the depreciated VfW to 64-bit. A framework that was replaced, twice. Apple seems to love making people rewrite their applications. Carbon, Quicktime. Absolute. Implications on other APIs/subsystems. The beat goes on.

@NormanPCN I haven't found anything from Avid regarding DNxHD royalties, but I found a few other things I can project from. 

There are absolutely fees. 

Looks like Avid charges $10k (USD?) for compliance testing  etc. Honestly, that's not a bad fee, and FXHOME could probably make that happen. 

https://lab.apertus.org/T91

Avid sells a DNxHD decoder for Steinberg software. $30.

https://www.steinberg.net/en/shop/buy_product/sku/46740.html

So there's the stumbling block. $30/copy would be a significant increase in price for Pro and would be high enough where it won't sell to Express owners. 

So.... If @IamJoshuaDavies and team could pull some negotiation magic, maybe, MAYBE, they could get this down to $10? At that price point it might be feasible? Considering Boris 3D objects retails at $299 for every other platform and $50 for Express, we know FXHOME can negotiate.

• @Triem23 "So there's the stumbling block. $30/copy would be a significant increase in price for Pro"

No doubt. However, that Steinberg charges $30 to sell something does not tell us what their cost is. Hey if it cost them $1 per copy royalty they still might sell it for $30 if they think the product could sell for that. 

• edited February 15

Not sure what Cineform is.  You guys started talking greek to me...

Have been using what tdavis suggested (X Media Recode) however i found the converted quality was absolutely HORRIBLE!!  I thought it was something I was doing wrong in filming.. but then converted an original file online and compared quality.   So... not liking Xmedia recode... at all. :(

guess i will try virtual dub nex, thought the first review i read on it someone couldn't use it to convert AVI files.. which is what I have.  Also according to the reviews... it's a large program with a crap load of bells and whistles I'm not going to need.  I don't have a fancy computer with a large amount of space... so this makes me kinda unsure if I want to bother installing something else that won't work.

Would have been nice if HitFilm had continued to work using AVI files... so frustrating.

• @babytoe ; I'm sorry my suggestion didn't work out for you.  I've always had good luck with it just using default settings.  VirtualDub is a good program, and I had totally forgotten it when I answered your question, but I find more complicated to use.

•  @tddavis ;  Ah, it's ok. :)   It's good in a pinch and easy to use.. just the quality goes to poops. ;)

complicated things are not my friends... another reason why i'm unsure to try VD.

• @babytoe ; Do try it to be sure.  You may be better at understanding how it works than I.  I can be extraordinarily dense with obvious things in programs sometimes. :)

• Stargazer54Stargazer54 Moderator
    edited February 16

http://www.virtualdub.org/

or

https://sourceforge.net/projects/vdfiltermod/

@babytoe Again, I recommend VirtualDub2 (Free). Load your file.  Save as, change compression to Cineform, click Confgure, leave settings to default, click OK, click Save.   Pretty easy really.  And it saves as a .avi.  You can also batch convert.

Cineform is not greek.  It is a codec (encoder/decoder).  For more information on codecs and other digital video terminology, then Google is your friend.

• I recommend M4V Converter, which is a professional video converter, which can convert all kinds of video files and iTunes movies and TV shows to M4P, MOV, AVI, MKV, etc. and other common video formats. 

With the help of this software, I can listen to any video on any device and media player. It can keep 100% video quality, audio, subtitles, etc. This is my suggestion. 

• edited November 3

Another vote for Handbrake.

Problem with handbrake is it will re-encode, not just convert but it is a really good program and free and comprehensive.

This discussion has been closed.