particles, paths and another problem

Hi guys I am having trouble getting a particle beam to behave the way I want to, the scene calls for a beam of energy to spiral down into a container, I have got the particles setup and got them the way I want them to look. I have also setup the point path in a a spiral and parented/linked the particles to the path. Now particles moved down the path but they dont curve to follow the path you just get the emitter going down the path but the particles just shoot down in a straight line. How do I get them to follow the path to look like a spiral of energy?
Also problem 2 I have noticed that hitfilm2 seems to really slow down my machine to a halt, and seems to come to a halt if I put my rendered avi's from 3ds max into it, last night it took 2 hours to render 10 seconds of footage no effects, I was just rendering out an avi to mpeg 4 as hitfilm for me only seems to run smoothly when using mpeg 4s. My pc is a top of the range alienware i7, and has no problems with most demanding games and software like 3ds max.

Comments

• Hi guys I am having trouble getting a particle beam to behave the way I want to, the scene calls for a beam of energy to spiral down into a container, I have got the particles setup and got them the way I want them to look. I have also setup the point path in a a spiral and parented/linked the particles to the path. Now particles moved down the path but they dont curve to follow the path you just get the emitter going down the path but the particles just shoot down in a straight line. How do I get them to follow the path to look like a spiral of energy?
    Also problem 2 I have noticed that hitfilm2 seems to really slow down my machine to a halt, and seems to come to a halt if I put my rendered avi's from 3ds max into it, last night it took 2 hours to render 10 seconds of footage no effects, I was just rendering out an avi to mpeg 4 as hitfilm for me only seems to run smoothly when using mpeg 4s. My pc is a top of the range alienware i7, and has no problems with most demanding games and software like 3ds max.

A video would be super helpful however, if I'm understanding you correctly, then it sounds like your particle motion isn't set to "align with motion" I believe this is under the appearance section of your particle system.  Hopefully that resolves things. 
    As for running slow, is it possible to render your scenes from 3ds Max into another editing format that may play a little more nicely with hitfilm?  What video card are you running?  Is this an alienware laptop or desktop?