Dinosaur Attack - with the Girl Fight sisters

New Video!
It has been a long time since we've posted a full video. 'Stabscotch' was a year ago now :(
As mentioned in the Girl Fight: DARES thread, the birth of my youngest daughter, Violet, two years ago has reduced my spare time substantially.
However, we are BACK... finally!
Many ideas were thrown around for how to incorporate Violet into a video with her big sisters. We did have one idea that fell through because be waited to long and Violet grew to old. And, with a younger performer, we didn't want a blood bath. I had to settle for 'implied' violence.
So 'Dinosaur Attack' was born. It actually felt very appropriate as both my older girls first videos were against CGI dragons. (They are viewable online on our website linked here, I'm very happy with how well they hold up)
Quick information about this video.
This is the first video I have filmed in 1080p. I never went higher than 720p in the past.
1080p did lead to a huge increase in file size. Rendering took longer as well.
The Dinosaur is animated and rendered in Poser over a transparent background. The Dinosaur model itself was chosen because it was the best high-resolution model available. (The free velociraptor model looked crap)
Hitfilm was used for the editing, grading, green screen removal and lots and lots of masking.
Sounds was recorded off-camera with a Zoom H1 handy recorder. Which reminded me how difficult it is to match audio with video in Hitfilm :/
Last little piece of filming information... yes, filming with a 'almost' two year old is difficult. Some takes we just had to keep because that was the best of what we could get. However the only shot I wish I could redo is the outside scene that has just a little too much soft-focus. Watch through the credits to see a little of fun it was filming with Violet!
http://youtu.be/k_fIwaT-Gag

Comments

• Ah man I'm so glad you guys are back! I've been waiting for another Girl Fight video to come along for ages :)
    I loved the idea behind this one. The dinosaur moved and interacted with the surroundings well but although it's a high res model, I think potentially the colouring made it look more fake than you would have liked. 
    Those bloopers were absolutely priceless - well done for getting such good clips out of it all in the end as I imagine was toddling off in every direction! And the way you used difficult clips such as Violet raising her hand and muttering in baby speak, and transforming it into an order to kill was awesome :D I was hoping you'd do that.
    I'm also very impressed with the greenscreen shots taken in the kitchen reminiscent of the scenes in Jurassic park - it didn't even clock with me that the background was composited in until the bloopers, which is the mark of great greenscreen! It really does blend so well with the rest of it. 
    As always, the acting from your daughters was great and I, as always, really enjoyed it. 
    If you want to avoid the bloodshed with such a young actress then perhaps a good idea would be to make Violet the protagonist of the bloodshed as opposed to the victim. There's something intriguing about a killer baby :)
    Looking forward to the next one already!
  • That was a fun vid, fredclips! Violet is a cutie.
    Although, admittedly, I did miss the fisticuffs this time out.
    In the bloopers @ 4:45 or so, too bad the girls couldn't keep a straight face. That would have been really funny
    with violet continuously running back to the other side. What a riot! :))
     Can't wait for the next one and thanks for sharing.
  • Great job with the animation it's so fluid!  I agree the colors of the dinosaur stand out a bit.
    The shot in the kitchen was great, like Kirstie it reminded me of the kitchen scene in Jurassic park! 
    Well done :D
  • Cool to have you guys back making more movies!
    What render engine did you use to render the dinosaur?  It might be worth rerendering it in an unbiased engine and making an IBL sphere to get the lighting to match.
  • Nice job. I agree on the dinosaur color. Maybe it was just over saturated?
    Loved the bloopers, especially when Violet kept running back to the other side :)
  • Thanks for the feedback all, it looks like I'm going to have another look at my Dinosaur render! :)
    Strangely enough that colour scheme was actually chosen after much discussion! I'm going to have a look back at option 2 and render a scene and have another look.

As always, the acting from your daughters was great and I, as always, really enjoyed it. 
    If you want to avoid the bloodshed with such a young actress then perhaps a good idea would be to make Violet the protagonist of the bloodshed as opposed to the victim. There's something intriguing about a killer baby :)

Our very first idea was for Violet to not want to be the youngest sister and trick her older sisters into killing each other... I even started using 'Crazy Talk' to see if I could get a creepy baby talking effect going. It worked well, but we just took to long to finish it.  :dry:

In the bloopers @ 4:45 or so, too bad the girls couldn't keep a straight face. That would have been really funny
    with violet continuously running back to the other side. What a riot! :))

Loved the bloopers, especially when Violet kept running back to the other side :)

Yep, even when it was happening I think we all realised it would have been a funny shot to use. But Violet just didn't give up. The last time she was taken back to the other side she started getting angry they were trying to stop her!

What render engine did you use to render the dinosaur?  It might be worth rerendering it in an unbiased engine and making an IBL sphere to get the lighting to match.

Thanks for the advice ES. After I've googled some new words ( :D) I've discovered that Poser 9 does actually does include some of these features. It uses it's own 'Firefly' renderer, that I believe has an ok reputation but is very slow. It has options for IBL (which I never looked at), don't know about unbiased rendering though.
    To be honest, besides making sure the lights normally 'shine' from the correct direction, shadows and reflections appear where they should and the brightness looking 'ok' I am not completely familiar with using these concepts. The advanced lighting setup in Poser in filled with cool dials and options which I sometimes spin like a madman!
    [attachment=817:Fullscreen capture 12022014 102738 PM.jpg]
    I am going to adjust the brightness and setup defused IBL for a couple of scenes and have another go and see what I get.
    Thanks again all.

• "Is it a herbivore?"
    "Noooooo!"
    "Well, we really didn't know her that long."
    Those are the three moments when I laughed aloud. That was a lot of fun and your daughters are adorable!
    Effects wise, yeah, the colors of the dinosaur aren't quite matching the environment. If you can come to grips with IBL, you''ll see a huge difference. However, if your dino layers exist as separate elements and you did your composites in Hitfilm, I'd think you could grade them.
    You did some GREAT rack focus shots, however. :-) Thanks for sharing!
  • Our very first idea was for Violet to not want to be the youngest sister and trick her older sisters into killing each other... I even started using 'Crazy Talk' to see if I could get a creepy baby talking effect going. It worked well, but we just took to long to finish it.   :dry:

Aw man, I would love to see that :)

• Thanks for the advice ES. After I've googled some new words ( :D) I've discovered that Poser 9 does actually does include some of these features. It uses it's own 'Firefly' renderer, that I believe has an ok reputation but is very slow. It has options for IBL (which I never looked at), don't know about unbiased rendering though.
    I am going to adjust the brightness and setup defused IBL for a couple of scenes and have another go and see what I get.
    Thanks again all.

(This gives a more technical explanation http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unbiased_rendering )
    A biased render is when the render engine you are using doesn't handle light in a realistic manner. The upside is that it renders faster. The downside is that the materials don't don't look real. So for example, when you zoom in on the dinosaur's face, the teeth look kind of cartoonish. An unbiased render engine gives you a much more realistic render, and if your lighting is set up correctly, can look hyper-realistic.
    I render everything through luxrender now, using a program called Reality to transfer the files to luxrender format.  There is a poser version available.    http://www.renderosity.com/mod/bcs/reality-3-for-poser/98576
    You can see the difference in render between biased an unbiased in this test I did:
    http://earthshattering.deviantart.com/art/Tiger-Comparison-428498435?q=gallery%3AEarthShattering&qo=0
    And what it looks like when I composite a rendered image into video:
    http://earthshattering.deviantart.com/art/Cat-at-Video-Game-414619403?q=gallery%3AEarthShattering&qo=2

• You did some GREAT rack focus shots, however. :-) Thanks for sharing!

:D Thanks for noticing those shots!
    I know you realise they were faked in Hitfilm, but I never actually planned them. It was only when editing that I realised I could do something like this.
    I was putting a small amount of blur on the dinosaur render, so it wouldn't appear to sharp, when I suddenly looked at what I was doing and thought... 'Focus trick!' Never occurred to me to do anything like this in HitFilm before. Very happy with how they looked.

I render everything through luxrender now, using a program called Reality to transfer the files to luxrender format.  There is a poser version available.    http://www.renderosity.com/mod/bcs/reality-3-for-poser/98576

Thanks for that info. Reality for Poser plugin was on sale at runtimeDNA so I grabbed it tonight.
    Now to get it to successfully render an image. :blush: 
    I'll be interested to see what difference I can make to the dinosaur. Although if it works out the re-rendering of the animations may have to wait until I get my new PC. My current 5yo PC doesn't have the grunt. It was already taking about an hour to render 2 seconds of Dinosaur at full quality in Poser...  :dry: 

• Love your videos, they're always pretty awesome.  :) 

• Thanks for that info. Reality for Poser plugin was on sale at runtimeDNA so I grabbed it tonight.
    Now to get it to successfully render an image. :blush: 
    I'll be interested to see what difference I can make to the dinosaur. Although if it works out the re-rendering of the animations may have to wait until I get my new PC. My current 5yo PC doesn't have the grunt. It was already taking about an hour to render 2 seconds of Dinosaur at full quality in Poser...  :dry: 

Yeah, when I started getting serious with animation, I spent a bunch of my savings on new computers. I got an intel 3930k running in my primary computer and a second AMD hexacore system, so I have 18 processor threads for rendering.
    There are some useful tutorials for Reality that the author put on YouTube.  http://www.youtube.com/user/PretA3D
    But basically, the secret is in setting up your lights and materials correctly. You can set up lights just as you would on a physical set.  Any 3D mesh can be a light.  In the beginning, I used a 3 point lighting system (3 flat planes) and that tended to cause longer renders.  Now, I usually use a single curved mesh as a light source and it has dramatically cut render times.
    But how long something takes to render is up to you. You decide when the render is good enough by setting the number of samples it renders to (I usually render to about 130 samples for animation). And for materials, the higher the glossiness you set, the longer the render takes because it's bouncing more light around.

Sign in to comment

Leave a Comment