The first wedding I have ever shot

So I had the pleasure of shooting my cousins wedding the other weekend and this is what I accomplished. This wasn’t easy because it wasn’t the normal thing I do but it has opened up opportunities for me. So check it out and tell me what you think.  I did everything in hitfilm https://youtu.be/EQIPjXYFDa0

Comments

• Fantastic work @maui9

The excitement and build leading up to the actual ceremony was evident and the transitions felt like we were flying through snapshots of the day :)

It seems like it was a really lovely ceremony, and you seemed to capture all the major moments! Did the bride and groom like the video by the way?  

• @gavinbarker thank you, they loved it and they cried. So I think I did ok lol.  I also shot it all with an iPhone 8 Plus 

• My perspective on this comes from being a working event/wedding/broadcast videographer for the last 20 years. 

First, overall  this is truly excellent work. You used your phone well, choosing a lot of excellent angles, and keeping your camera moves smooth  clear and focused (what's your gimbal? Or do you have an insanely steady hand?). You often  used a lot of fine examples where you layered objects in the foreground, midground and background to add depth to the composition of frame. Your cuts are generally well-placed and well timed. The music is a good fit.

This is work to be proud of, and I'm not surprised the happy couple cried when viewing the video.

Can I ask if this is the entire video, or is this the "highlight reel" from a longer package? Normally for a wedding I'll break things into "chapters" inside a longer video (for example, the entire ceremony) as the main package (surprisingly, even in 2018 I still move a lot of DVDs, so these are literal chapter marks in what's often over an hour-to-two-hour video, depending on how many "rituals" - ceremony, reception line, dances, speeches, cake cutting, garter/bouquet - there are.), along with the 5-to-10-minute highlights reel.

A few minor critiques:

Don't be afraid to go low with the camera. You took a lot of shots near shoulder height and occasionally boomed with your arm for a more overhead shot (and good on you), but don't overlook the power of shooting up. Especially with kids - it's often good to get down on their level. Usually the segment where the wedding party was posing for pics as an example, a low angle shot shooting past everyone is a good way to also show the architecture of that beautiful building  and, maybe some sky (especially if you have awesome clouds). 

I suspect you shot with the default app with auto white balance and auto exposure. Consider looking at the third-party apps that give you full manual control (I'm Android, do the only iOS alternative I immediately know is Cinema FV-5). There are a few places where, to my eye, the phone slightly missed the color temperature, and manual control of shutter speed/aperture/ISO will give you more control for creativity - as a possible example  during some of the bride/groom prep when they are near the window you could expose for what's outside the window and knock back the person to a black silhouette - which is a great tease for the first shot of the bride in the gown...just her outline in black with sun shining through the veil.

Last note is subjective, and might just be my middle-aged eyes being out-of-sync with what's hip in the edit, but, after a few minutes I started to get transition fatigue. Zoom and pan transitions can be powerful, and there are a lot of examples in the video where they work amazingly well (the C/U of crowd dancing in the reception zooming out to the full-room shot is only one), but there are a lot of places where a simple cut would work - in fact there's one (only one) simple cut in the video (at 7:15) and it was such a relief to my eyes I backed up and watched it again.

But, yeah, this is really well done! 

As a side note  I have a wedding to cut that's going to be rough for me, since I was also the officiant. Hate dealing with myself on-cam. Does remind me: the wedding was a couple of days before my wife and I left the country for 6 weeks, and I recorded the ceremony audio with a lav on my lapel going to my wife's phone in my jacket pocket. I need to pull that file off her phone. 

Btw, if you decide to continue with wedding video, clean audio of the ceremony is important. But, in 2018,this is as easy as sticking a lav on the officiant and going either to a phone or cheap mp3 recorder in the pocket. The officiant is easier to mic AND get the mic back from. 

• @triem23 I was sooooo hoping that you would watch it since I knew you have done events for a long time. Thank you seriously for the advice and thank you for enjoying it. So on the transitions I like them here and there but the couple watched a test video I did with my daughter and loved that video and wanted tons of those transitions lol. 

So I did use a gimbal the smooth q. This is the highlight reel and I’m putting together the full ceremony as we speak. 

I did use a third party app called filmic pro and it does wonders but highlights and low light is where the iPhone truly struggles. (I wished thier was a video of me pulling my hair out trying to get rid of the noise during the low light reception clips) The Black silhouette idea is fantastic :).

I’m going to continue shooting events, weddings, promos etc because I really enjoyed it. (I have gotten great feedback and a few inquiries). My wife does photography already so it’s funny how It took this long to get into videography. She is truly my harshest critic so when she was super happy with the video I jumped for joy. Then she went and got me a Canon M100 for my bday because she believes in me like I believed in her when I got her first dslr 3 years ago.

Thank you again for taking the time to watch it and respond. I do need to get lower I forget to do that lol, I’m tall 6’5 so I tend to not go low haha. 

Good luck on that wedding and for the mic I’m going to get this mic called the instamic a neat little mic with great sound that can be placed anywhere. It also records in duo mono and it’s splash proof. 

• Nice! The M100 will give you more image control (and you can still use the phone as a B-cam).

Any camera will have issues with extreme highlights (without getting too techie, even the best cameras have a dynamic contrast ratio of about 10000:1 while the human eye is over 1000000:1), which is why HDR is so exciting for stills and (eventually)  video. Phone cameras have it worse, simply because of the tiny 1/6" sensors! An APS-C will give you better low-light, more dynamic range overall, and options for shallow DoF. 

Smooth Q is a sweet little gimbal. I took one with me to Australia and New Zealand and used it with my phone and GoPro (with an adapter bracket). I combined that with a monopod (and fluid head) and was able to take some sweet "crane" shots going from ground level to almost 12 feet up! 

Are you going to get another gimbal for the M100? I also have a Zhiyun Crane 2, which uses the same Zhiyun app, and allows control of all camera functions from the gimbal! The new Zhiyun LAB gimbals look interesting as well, but I bet the LAB series leads to a price drop on the Crane series.

Since wifey is a photog, don't forget to offer dual video/photo packages! My wifey wouldn't consider herself a photo/videographer, but she's got a good eye for composition, absorbed enough tech info to control her image, understands what I'll ask her to shoot (I usually give her the "Anything, as long as the bride is in frame," camera, and she'll vary her shot nicely within that single restriction), and it keeps more of the pay in the family unless a third (or fourth) camera op is required. 

• I'll echo a lot of what @Triem23 said (minus the years of experience doing this stuff, of which I have zero). Great looking shots, especially from a phone. Unlike Mike, I did catch a couple more cuts than the one he saw, though I definitely agree that the whip pan/zoom transitions got old pretty quickly. Even though those types of transitions might fit the music you used, IMO they don't fit the mood of the visual content. If it was a travelogue, I might feel differently, but for a wedding I'd lean pretty heavily on simple cuts and dissolves.  On a smaller technical note, there's one shot (3:53) that feels like the video is slightly vertically stretched.

Anyway, lots of good stuff there!

• edited December 2018

Really, really nice and some great shot choices of seemingly ordinary things that helped add to the overall atmosphere.

The content advice has been well covered so I only have one niggle: what was going on with the text at the beginning? :) Floating at a different speed to the image, random size change then the 'Franco' flickers up, then back for a frame. The #ForeverFranco looked like you were going for a two point track that wasn't quite locked in, so wasn't 'in the scene' (as everyone's always doing with AE's 3D tracker), before it, and the image, zoomed out at different rates.

Downloading the clip and examining it, you've evidently suffered from Variable Frame Rate footage that's not been recognised correctly.

The Mediainfo from the YouTube version shows this:
    Bit rate                                 : 2 091 kb/s
    Width                                    : 1 920 pixels
    Height                                   : 1 080 pixels
    Display aspect ratio                     : 16:9
    Frame rate mode                          : Variable
    Frame rate                               : 24.000 FPS
    Minimum frame rate                       : 24.000 FPS
    Maximum frame rate                       : 24.094 FPS
    Color space                              : YUV
    Chroma subsampling                       : 4:2:0

No idea what you started with, but stepping through the beginning, there are several identical frames, then it skips a frame, then duplicates a few more, then skips. Not sure if this was you trying to do slowmo, but the frame distribution seems odd.

Even so, there are multiple places where you should be able to get a good lock on two points to track and tie your text into, as shown here, which Hitfilm decided was a constant framerate clip at exactly 24fps when it imported and exported it.

Width                                    : 1 920 pixels
    Height                                   : 1 080 pixels
    Display aspect ratio                     : 16:9
    Frame rate mode                          : Constant
    Frame rate                               : 24.000 FPS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEbVHhTfriE

It might be worth putting your source slips through something to transcode them to the correct, constant frame rate, then relink them in Hitfilm after also setting its project properties to something normal. You might have to go in and tweak a few things, but the results should be slightly better.

• You did great with those quality shots and good angles.

• @triem23 oooooo yes I would love to do some crane shots. Yeah I’m excited, I got it yesterday and been playing with it and wow even with the kit lens the low light performance is so much better. I’m getting an adapter so I can use wifeys lenses hehe.

I will be getting a gimbal for the M100, most likely a a1000 or a g6 Plus since they range from 200-275. She is the one getting super excited about the package deals she can do lol.

@clevertagline Dang you caught the vertical stretch I noticed it myself after they already had it. I watch that video a million times and I didn’t catch it. I can’t remember even resizing that clip for any reason. Thank you for the feedback :) 

@palacono I did do a double track you and my older brother(3D artist) have a great eye. I really did think I had done a pretty good job but I was incorrect. Though I have used hitfilm for a while I’m definitely still learning. 

On the video frame rate do you think it’s because of the codec that the iPhone uses.  Also when I exported it I had a few clips that were at 60fps but not slowed down. I didn’t use the speed effect or any effect  to slow down the footage. I just change the clip from 60 FPS to 24.

Thank you for all the feedback

@roven  Thank you and thanks for watching it 

• Maui, the VFR thing is totally because it's a phone codec. Hitfilm tries to interpret VFR (most NLEs don't), but it can miss a lot for boring techie reasons.

This video covers the boring techie reasons ,then talks about transcoding and gives examples of tools. For 23.97, don't use Handbrake. I didn't know at the time Handbrake screws up 23.97.

• ...or it will when Triem23 links the video. ;)

Maui, actually I made a mistake when tracking in that example myself on the 'Chair' one. You need to set the first point near to the centre of where you want the text to be. The second point is used for scale, rotation and needs to be on the same plane and far enough away for the differences to be big enough for Hitfilm to calculate them with a high degree of accuracy.

I made the mistake of putting points on the two ends of the chair back, which means the text floats as it scales because Hitfilm is scaling up the 'space' as well as the text when you offset it from the tracking point. The first one should have been in the centre of the back, and the anchor point of the text should be in the centre of the text as well. Then any scaling is symmetrical about that middle. It's the opposite for 'callouts', where the text needs to be to one side.

You should also always put your text as large as you can in a separate comp, then use that comp, scaled down and tracked on the image. This is because Hitfilm redraws text as the size and position changes and the edges get very noisy if you have it in the same comp as the track. When it's in a separate comp, it's 'frozen' and at a large size it scales down nicely with extra Anti-Aliasing thrown in for free.

• @Palacono Just read your note about the proper way to do a two-point track. I've only tried that once a few years back, and did exactly what you said not to do: put the track points on both ends of the thing I was trying to match, then wondered why the scale of my attached layer wasn't matching the source. I nearly slapped my forehead when you pointed out that the first point

• Sorry for the late reply @triem23 I’m hoping the codec with the Canon M100 will work wayyyyy better with hitfilm.

@palanco wow thank you, yeah I will definitely do that with the title sequences now. 

@clevertagline thanks 

• Maui. It's still mp4, so you'll still benefit from transcoding, but at least it won't be VFR. 

• @triem23 watched the video and I will be doing this from now on. Thank you for making awesome videos 

• I also watched the video and found it really useful, i like the idea of decoration from that video and will implement it after renting the necessary things from the party rentals while managing events.