Music/Sound Effects/Animations

edited December 2018 in HitFilm Express Support

Hey guys,

I am a huge fan of modern music like trap, and I would like to know if there is a way to recreate animations like this? (See in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kx1QIlGmhPo)

I already purchased the Motion: Audio Visual Pack!

Thank you!

Comments

• Maybe not that exact look, but something somewhat similar is definitely doable. I don't have much time to mess with the idea, but was able to come up with this as a quick initial test:

https://youtu.be/mfIH7snVg8A

I might play with it more later, but with the number of things on my plate, "later" could be months down the road.

• Hey, thank you for your fast response! That looks quite nice, what settings did you use?

• This consists of several nested comps:

Base
    Add an audio file. Add a white plane. Duplicate this plane, and on the top copy, add the Audio Spectrum effect. Set its Audio Input to point to your sound layer. Hide the lower plane temporarily, then tweak the start and end frequency values in Audio Spectrum to target a range that works for your track, and change Render Mode to Fill. Unhide the solid white plane and drag it down so that between 1/4 and 1/3 of the top of the frame is blank. Drag the plane with the Audio Spectrum effect up until its peaks appear in the gap at the top.  Mess with the Height of the audio spectrum effect so that the peaks of the waves don't clip outside the top of the frame.

At the top of the stack, add a grade layer, then add Polar Warp to the grade. Set Rotation to -90, Range to 90, Wrap X to Reflect, then play with the End Radius value to adjust the size of the effect in the frame. The peaks still have hard edges, but we're not going to fix those here.

Color 1
    Make a new comp and drag the Base comp into it. Add a black plane below it, and a grade layer above it. On the grade, add the Posterize effect, setting Colors per Channel to 2, and Smooth to .01. Now crank up the Smooth Source property, and the hard edges of the audio spectrum "hills" will begin to smooth off. In my test, I set this to about 65. Finally, add Demult to the grade.

Color 2
    This is a copy of Color 1 with a few quick tweaks. First, I added the Fill Color effect to the Base layer, picking a strong color that I wanted for part of the outline. I also went into the Posterize effect on the grade and increased Smooth Source to a higher number (69 in my test). Higher numbers round off and smooth the hills even more.

Color 3
    This is a copy of Color 2. Changed the fill color, and increased Smooth Source on the Polarize effect even more.

I only did three colors, but feel free to add as many as you want

Assembly
    This is a new comp where all the pieces come together. Drag in all of the color comps and stack them in the order you wish, with Color 1 (white) at the top. For all of the color comps except Color 1, open the Controls and check the "Mute" box so that only Color 1 plays audio. Also add a slight scale to all of the comps below Color 1. In my test, I scaled Color 2 to 101% and Color 3 to 102%. Also delay each subsequent layer by one frame, so Color 2 is delayed one frame later than Color 1, Color 3 is one frame later than Color 2, etc.

The final step is to add whatever you want on top of this. I made a new comp with a white plane and Polar Warp to create a circle, and set its radius just larger than the other elements, and put this comp above Color 1. At the very top I added black text.

•  Thanks!! This is awesome! I never thought you could do something like this in Hitfilm, but you showed me the the way how to animations like this! Man, I'm so happy right now, thank you so much for your time and your detailed explanation!

Rxsto

• My pleasure! I look forward to seeing your take on it!

• Well, I'm not really happy with that result, but I learned a lot by doing your "tutorial"! Currently I'm recreating the video with another style, but it is the same effect! I'll probably post that video too!

But here you go, that is my final result: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vgf_F_uYrWk

• Pretty cool, though I have a hunch I know why you're not happy with it: it's too "jittery" (for lack of a better term). It's something that kinda frustrates me as well. The way the Audio Spectrum effect responds to the sound is very precise. It doesn't create the smoother rise and fall of the spectrum peaks that your earlier sample shows. That's one of the things I want to find a solution for going forward, and it's definitely going to take some time to work out. Not sure if the Audio Spectrum effect has controls for that kind of thing, or if I'll have to come up with a workaround.

• edited December 2018

I was able to spend a few minutes playing with a possible solution (I can't do what I need to do today until the rest of the house is awake), and it seems to work pretty well. Here's my latest test:

https://youtu.be/nHbhlcYP3wQ

All I did was add the Echo effect to the plane in the Base comp that has the Audio Spectrum effect. I set Echo Time to -.02, Number of Echoes to 8, and Decay to .7.  This affects what the Posterize effect does to smooth things off, allowing the peaks to decay more gradually.

Another thing that would help would be to feed the Audio Spectrum effect a custom version of the track that's been equalized to focus on the frequencies you want to trigger the effect.  Unfortunately adding the Equalizer effect to the audio track in the Base comp doesn't affect how Audio Spectrum reacts to the sound, so it would have to be a separate track you would need to put the audio into its own comp and process it there (EDIT: though in a quick test, HitFilm's Equalizer didn't prove terribly effective at the task, so I still recommend making a separate track with the help of dedicated audio software).  That also means you'd have to mute all of the color comps and add your un-processed track to the main assembly comp.

•  Alright, thank you for your detailed help! I'll try that one soon too! I came up with another effect:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Alzx50-fGIg

I'm very happy with how that looks, but I'll probably test around with that other effect too! Again, thank you for your massive help!

Oh, I've got two questions left, probably hard to answer. But is it possible that specific comps can react to the music with like increasing the size of the object? And is there any way to create a particle effect, that all particles move to a specific direction, and speed up when the music changes?

That would be awesome!

So, thank you so much for helping me out,

Rxsto