Set Matte Not Working Properly

edited December 2018 in Express Support

Hi Guys!  New around here so please bear with me.  I have downloaded Hitfilm Express for a Christmas House Mapping project and so far it seems awesome!  I just seem to be having some trouble getting the Set Matte effect to function properly.  I thought I had finally figured it out and it was working on one clip so I attempted another in the same way and that did not work and when I went back to the one that was working it then wasn't.  So it seems to be something strange going on.  I am using a Dell Inspiron 15 7000 Series 7559 which should have more than enough power to handle running Hitfilm without issue.

Thanks,

John

Comments

• Put the thing you are attempting to use as a Matte in its own Composite shot and point Set Matte at that, or put it at the bottom of the layer stack, put a Grade Layer above it and point the Set Matte Effect at the Grade Layer.

• Make sure you have your Playback Settings adjusted properly as well...

https://youtu.be/umHH_3FYWaw

• edited December 2018

Thanks for the quick reply guys!  I will try those things.  Just so you know what I am trying to do here is the tutorial that I am following.  It was done in After Effects and I am trying to transfer the concepts over to Hitfilm.  Maybe you guys can take a look.  Maybe what I am trying to do cannot be done the same way as in After Effects.

https://youtu.be/bUtdMcoOcVc\

Thanks,

John

• That tutorial is using "Projection/Projector Mapping." in Hitfilm Express this method requires the "Composite: Toolkit Pack" (currently on sale for $9.99).

Here's a Hitfilm tutorial on setting up the 3D set. 

https://youtu.be/RIa71QIxi6M

There's a part 2 and 3 in that series covering mapping effects in 3D space with Projection and object removal with Projection. 

https://youtu.be/I6RDSvv2AXI

https://youtu.be/zvlAS9mAyGE

• edited December 2018

Triem23 thanks for the reply.  I would gladly purchase that pack for $9.99 but after watching the 3 videos I am not sure if you understand what I need to do and therefore I am not sure that pack is what I need.  Were you able to watch the tutorial I posted?  It was not about moving camera angle or 3D type stuff.  Way more simple than that! I just need to get the set matte effect working properly.  The tutorial using After Effects shows it using track matte in After Effects which I think has a somewhat different definition in Hitfilm.

Thanks,

John

• edited December 2018

Palacono that worked!  Why do you need the grade layer?  In fact what is a grade layer?  So now I am almost more confused!  Lol! 

Thanks,

John

• @preciousgem When you tell Set Matte to use a given layer as a matte source, it looks at that layer's content before any effects that have been added to that layer.  The two processes that @Palacono mentioned are ways to get around this.

Turning the layer into a composite shot, and moving all effects into that nested comp, changes a layer with image information plus effects into just a layer with image information only, so everything is fed to Set Matte.

The other way is to put a grade layer above the layer with the effects, and target the grade instead. A grade layer lets you apply effects to the cumulative result of all the layers below it. However, even if you don't add any effects to a grade layer, it still effectively becomes a "baked" version of all of those lower layers. That means you can target it with Set Matte and know that everything done on the layers below it will be included.

• @jsbarrett has properly explained why the Set Matte needs a Grade Layer or needs to be embedded in it own Composite Shot.

A Grade Layer forces a render of all layers below itself, then passes that render to the Effects engine. This is done so effects added to the Grade Layer are basically applied to everything below it. As jsbarrett showed, there are other uses as well, like "baking in" effects. 

In Ae tutorials, they use "Adjustment Layers." Grade Layers are the same thing  

To be honest, I didn't watch the hour-seventeen tutorial you linked to. However, the title and intro to the tutorial say it uses camera projection. Palacono answered your question about Set Matte. Jsbarrett explained why Hitfilm's Set Matte requires the source layer to be on a grade layer or embedded comp. I answered your question about transferring the Projection concepts to Hitfilm. :) 

• If you find any of this confusing, add your voice to the wishlist to have the option of an 'automatic' version of the Grade Layer applied internally in those effects where it would be appropriate; such as Set Matte.

AE has had this option for a few years for its Adjustment Layers - the Adobe equivalent  - so you can avoid a lot of the faffing about by just selecting that in the drop down menu of the effect in AE when you point it at things that won't work without one.

• Thank you all so much for the excellent and quick responses!  @Palacono that makes perfect sense why it seems easier in After Effects!  @jsbarrett excellent explanation!  @Triem23 you are right!  My bad for not pointing to a particular segment of the video!  I did not really expect any of you to watch the whole thing but I did forget to point to a particular segment!  If you can take a look at about 35 minutes to 40 minutes that 5 Minutes segment should show what I was really asking.  Again my apologies for not pointing to that directly in the original post!

Thanks,

John

• edited December 2018

Glad that our comments helped to clarify things for you!

On a totally unrelated note, do I still appear labeled to some as "jsbarrett" and not my new username? Not sure if the errant tagging is due to some systems caching my old name and confusing people, or maybe just habit ( @Triem23 )

• edited December 2018

I was kind of wondering what was up with that.  I just used @jsbarrett because @triem23 did and I thought he knew something I didn’t!  Lol!!!

Thanks,

John

• @CleverTagline just habit. Trying to break it. What can I say, I see your handsome goatee in the badge and still think jsbarrett.