Insufficient GPU memory error

Im using the demo version and its saying insufficient graphics memory.... I am above the requirements 

Comments

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator

Check your drivers. Remind us of your GPU again? 

• @Triem23 its a gtx 950 m i7

• What is the size of the image being edited that gets the warning?

• @NormanPCN i dont know it was one of the Imerge youtube tutorial files 

• @Andersen01498 can you post the full error message/screenshot please?

It would also be useful to see the diagnostic information. You can get this by opening Imerge and pressing Ctrl+Shift+D on Windows or Cmd+Shift+D on Mac.

• @SamuelMorris its odd that I cant reproduce it 

•  No problem, do you remember what the dialog box looked like? Was it a yellowish bar at the top of the viewer, or similar in layout to most of the other dialogs (canvas settings, import and the like)? Do you remember what you were doing in Imerge at the time?

It's also possible that another application you could have had open at the time was using GPU memory leaving Imerge with less to work with.

• @SamuelMorris it was similar in layout ui color

• @SamuelMorris here is the error popup( I was downloading another program this time around when it popped up) https://drive.google.com/file/d/177cjGJMz_sOT4OzpHFoMGgDxSQ8_RaZq/view?usp=sharing

• @Andersen01498 the good news is that that specific dialog is more of a warning than an error. The not so good news is that your graphics card is reporting that is has 2GB of memory. That is within specification, but is only supported for images and canvas of up to 24MP. The two green screen images in the tutorial files are slightly over 22MP so that will be pushing the limits a bit.

Could you post the information from the diagnostics report (Ctrl+Shift+D on Windows or Cmd+Shift+D on macOS)? That will help me check that your card is reporting the correct information (a quick check shows that the GTX 950m supports up to 4GB of memory).

@SamuelMorris Imerge is probably different enough under the hood from Hitfilm where what I'm about to post probably isn't related, but I logged a Hitfilm bug earlier this year with @Ady where my 8GB Nvidia 980m only reports 2GB to Hitfilm. I don't know if it was ever confirmed  but, since a 980m supports four displays my initial thought was the "8GB" card allocated 2GB each to four display buffers. Then I left it to the devs, cuz I ain't a coder. But I wonder if Andersen's 950m is allocating 2GB to two display buffers? Just a thought. Something to ask Nvidia? 

• SamuelMorrisSamuelMorris Staff
    edited December 5

@Triem23 While developing with graphics cards has taught me not to be surprised about anything, I doubt it would split the memory that way. It's more likely to be a driver issue. Or it's possible that this specific 950m really does have access to 2GB of memory, in which case it's quite likely another program was using some of it at the same time.

@SamuelMorris fair enough. Actually  your comments suggests things @Andersen01498 can try!

Andersen, open up the Nvidia Control Panel. In there you can specify which programs use which GPU. Give Imerge, Hitfilm and other NLE/VFX/Photo editors and games the Nvidia, but check for things you might have open in the background, like a web browser. Some things grab the Nvidia that can be forced to the Intel. Browsers, Word Processors, PDF readers, even Media Players like VLC. 

Dunno if it'll fix the problem, but it will make a difference if you often have a web browser open and the browser is on the Nvidia  

• edited December 6

@SamuelMorris ;  here is the report 

program:
    code: imerge-pro
    version: 1.2.0
    activation:
    licenseFilePath: C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Local/FXhome/Imerge Pro/Imerge Pro.license
    graphics:
    vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
    renderer: GeForce GTX 950M/PCIe/SSE2
    openglVersion: 4.0.0 NVIDIA 417.01
    glslVersion: 4.00 NVIDIA via Cg compiler
    maxTextureSize: 16384
    Platform name: NVIDIA CUDA
    Platform vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
    Platform version: OpenCL 1.2 CUDA 10.0.132
    Device name: GeForce GTX 950M
    Device vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
    Driver version: 417.01
    OpenCL version: OpenCL 1.2 CUDA
    OpenCL C version: OpenCL C 1.2
    Number of compute units: 5
    Maximum clock frequency: 928 MHz
    Global memory size: 2147483648 bytes
    Maximum allocation size: 536870912 bytes
    Maximum constant buffer size: 65536 bytes
    Unified memory subsystem: False
    Global cache size: 81920 bytes
    Global cache type: Read/Write
    Global cache line size: 128 bytes
    Local memory arena size: 49152 bytes
    Local memory type: Local
    Image support: True
    Maximum 2D image dimensions: 16384x16384
    Maximum 3D image dimensions: 4096x4096x4096
    Maximum read images: 256
    Maximum write images: 16
    Maximum number of samplers: 32
    Maximum size of kernel arguments: 4352 bytes
    Maximum work group size: 1024
    Maximum work item dimensions: 3
    Maximum work item sizes: 1024x1024x64
    Endianness: Little
    Supported queue properties: Out of order/Profiling
    Supported extensions: cl_khr_global_int32_base_atomics cl_khr_global_int32_extended_atomics cl_khr_local_int32_base_atomics cl_khr_local_int32_extended_atomics cl_khr_fp64 cl_khr_byte_addressable_store cl_khr_icd cl_khr_gl_sharing cl_nv_compiler_options cl_nv_device_attribute_query cl_nv_pragma_unroll cl_nv_d3d10_sharing cl_khr_d3d10_sharing cl_nv_d3d11_sharing cl_nv_copy_opts cl_nv_create_buffer
    Compute capability: 5.0
    Registers per block: 65536
    Warp size: 32
    GPU Overlap: True
    Run time limit: True
    Integrated memory: False
    All devices:
    GeForce GTX 950M (gpu) (NVIDIA Corporation)
    Intel(R) HD Graphics 620 (gpu) (Intel(R) Corporation)
    Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7500U CPU @ 2.70GHz (cpu) (Intel(R) Corporation)
    displays:
    - \\.\DISPLAY1, 1920 x 1080 (available 1920 x 1030), 1.0 device pixel ratio
    additional DPI info:
    - is per-monitor DPI aware? yes
    - system DPI: 120
    - main window DPI: 120
    - main window scaling factor: 1.3

•  @Andersen01498 That does suggest you have a 2GB version of the GTX 950m, which is why that warning pops up to warn you that there is only enough memory for 24MP images and canvas. It is only a warning though, so as long as you are aware about the limits of your graphics card you should be fine.

Another suggestion is doing what @Triem23 suggested but in reverse, attempting to force Imerge to use the integrated GPU in your i7. If this works then you may have access to more memory (if I remember correctly Windows allows you to use up to half your RAM). However there will be a trade off in terms of performance.

• @SamuelMorris... would there be a way to upgrade the nvidia 950m gtx to the 4gb instead of the 2gb

•  @Andersen01498 Unfortunately not.

You should be fine with projects under 24MP. If you wanted to use images greater than 24MP then as above I'd suggest trying to use the integrated GPU instead assuming you have enough RAM (though currently I'm unable to test to see if this would work as I don't have access to the right hardware, not that it would break, it just might force the use of the 950m).

• @SamuelMorris Thanks for the help I really appreciate it!