Size of video changes on export and it shouldn't

Hello, I'm desperately trying to export a video in one of the ungodly sizes required by the AppStore for app previews, but HitFilm doesn't seem to agree with what I'm asking it to do.

I need the video to be 1920 x 886 pixel, my project and export settings are both this exact size, but after exporting it, the video is 1920 x 888, which the App Store does not like at all.

Has anyone had a similar issue? Is there some way I can fix this?

I can't change most of the export settings because the App Store is very strict about it. Down here is a screen of what the preset looks like:

This is the project settings:

And this is the size of the exported video:

Thank you for your help!

Comments

• @MartinaPorro Which version of HitFilm are you using? I can't reproduce in the latest version (10.0).

• edited November 2018

It isn't the 10.0 . I can't believe I hadn't thought of checking for updates, I've been wrestling with this the whole day. Thank you so much for your time!

I will try in a moment

• Even after updating to the latest version I could find on the website, it still does the same.

I did install the 10.1 though, could that be an issue?

• This issue is still present even with the latest version of hitfilm, I'd like to know if there is a workaround? 

• Tagging @CedricBonnier and @NormanPCN ;

I believe mp4 is compressed in macroblocks of 8x8 pixels. A properly encoded mp4 should have vertical pixel dimensions that cleanly divide into a multiple of 8.

888 divides cleanly into 8.

886 does not. 

I do not believe this is a Hitfilm "bug," but a limitation of mp4. 

Cedric, I tag you because I think this might be something "unfixable," since it's technically not a problem.

Norman  I tag you to sanity check me. You're more knowledgeable than I on codecs. 

• I was not able to reproduce the original report and I still cannot. I can export 1920x886p29.97 MP4/AVC. I uninstalled Express so I can only try Pro these days.

@Triem23 A modulus of 2 is allowed. The compression may not be as efficient. Also, the output frame can be sized differently than the encode. I have seen some 1920x1088 videos that the output is 1080. 1088 is divisible by 16 which is the full size macroblock of AVC. A full size macroblock is divisible down to 4x4 in many different sizes.

• @NormanPCN thanks, man. That's why I have you check me. :) ;) 

• @Triem23 

"Cedric, I tag you because I think this might be something "unfixable," since it's technically not a problem.

Norman  I tag you to sanity check me. You're more knowledgeable than I on codecs. "  

Pikachu, I tag you...!  Did I miss the announcement of FXHome's new online game PokeDev?  

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator
    edited December 2018

@tddavis I never want to see Metacode vs Metacode again.*

*I'll explain that joke. There's a Metapod vs. Metapod battle in the original series. Metapod has no attacks, and only a single defense action. The line "Harden Metapod, harden like the wind!" was spoken. They time lapse the sun across the sky. Both trainers pass out from heatstroke. The punchline is, obviously, "I never want to see Metapod against Metapod again."

Look, guys, Pokémon was what was on between Batman: TAS and Batman Beyond, and I had the lobby TV on in the hotel (I was front desk clerk) for the kids. Don't judge me! 

• @Triem23 ; Judge? No, never...  Total judgment-free zone here. :) I debated a full 24 hrs before posting the attempt at a joke and decided it was too appropos to pass up.  All the times my kids were watching I never caught the metapod line but man, it was close to edge of decency, wasn't it?  And, btw, how'd you get the accent over the e?  I can never figure those special characters out.  I barely manage emojis.

• @tddavis I did a copy/paste from a website with the accent a couple of times to teach my phone's autocorrect... 

• I started having the same issue. Previously I was able to export to 1920x886 but after the latest update HitFilm Express started to export everything as x888 (I also uninstalled and installed the older version but It exported x888 also) The project is set to 1920x888, the export settings have either forced resolution or 'from source', and when I export, the export preview window says 1920x886, but when I check the file resolution in windows from file properties, It reads 1920x888. I also opened an older project of mine which was previously successfully exported to 1920x886, but now it came out as 1920x888. I had to download the 7 day After Effects trial to make the deadline. With it there were no problems. Any ideas how to fix this?