Ingite Pro crashes Vegas Pro 16

Hello,

I face the fact, that VEGAS Pro 16 cannot start while Ignite Pro (Version 3.1.8110) is installed on my system. De-installation of Ignite Pro solves the problem. Vegas Pro crashes while generating the ofx plugin library during the start and then generates a report, that indicates, Ignite Pro causes the crash. Hope soon for an update of Ignite Pro, which solves the problem.

Comments

• I've been tinkering with a lot of video editors for the past two months and my first suggestion is to go to preferences and see if it has GPU acceleration enabled. This is a cause of a lot of crashing for a lot of people. Considering that the most expensive version of Vegas Pro comes with Ignite Pro, it should work.

I recently purchased the Vegas Pro 365 subscription and just canceled it right before the 14 day mark and got a refund. I found it disappointing. 

However, I installed the free version of Ignite Pro (Express) and it worked great. In fact I liked the Ignite Pro Express effects better than the Vegas stuff.

Before I even installed Ignite Pro Express I had a huge problem with Vegas Pro crashing. I was using an nVidia 1050ti card and if the graphics acceleration was enabled with that card it crashed like crazy. Sometimes it would crash right off the bat. When I turned off gpu acceleration it stopped crashing. So I would recommend turning off graphic acceleration and see what happens.

A lot of other people complain about crashes and freezes with Vegas Pro if GPU acceleration is enabled.

I recently bought a used AMD RX 580 based card and Vegas did run fine with gpu acceleration turned on with that card. What I am finding is basically all the big video editors run better with AMD cards than nVidia cards because they all use OpenCL heavily and nVidia is not fully utilizing OpenCL. This just seems to be universal. This seems to include all OFX video editors and Powerdirecter, which is not OFX.

•  It's not Universal, I use several nVidia cards on different machines with Vegas (14 and 15, not 16) and Ignite Pro 3.1 and it works fine.

• Which nVidia card are you using? I'm just saying that with a 1050ti and the default gpu acceleration enabled, Vegas 16 crashed like crazy.

• That single card may well have issues,  but you wrote: "What I am finding is basically all the big video editors run better with AMD cards than nVidia cards because they all use OpenCL heavily and nVidia is not fully utilizing OpenCL. This just seems to be universal. This seems to include all OFX video editors and Powerdirecter, which is not OFX."

It's not Universal.

• Hi,

I have the same issue.
    If I install Ignite 2017 Express, then VP Edit 16 crashes as soon as launched.
    I disabled the option to use the GPU acceleration (I have a GTX980) but things are just the same.
    No idea about how to progress....

Regards

Roberto

• edited December 3

Most Windows Pro NLEs support Nvidia better than AMD. CUDA on Nvidia cards outperform OpenCL on AMD, and Nvidia has - in general - more powerful GPUs. Editors like Premiere Pro, Resolve, and others will favor CUDA on GTX and Quadro cards. They will not use OpenCL unless you force it, which makes no sense whatsoever. Comoaring OpenCL performance across vendors is, therefore, worthless. 

Avid supports Nvidia better than AMD, as well. Plugins from vendors like Boris will accelerate with CUDA on Nvidia cards. 

The only NLEs that tend to favor AMD are the "lower end professional" and particularly many Windows-only editors with code bases that haven't seen as much maintenance. Typically these are Prosumer editors that sit between the consumer and "high end professional" NLEs. Vegas is one of them.

They had CUDA support in the past, but it wasn't maintained, so it now only works with legacy cards. Nvidia cards are problematic with GPU Acceleration in Vegas, in general,  as a result. Intel and AMD - older and new iGPUs and dGPUs are more stable and work properly. 

The Vegas developers refuse to release a list of certified hardware. I moved to Resolve as a result. With so much software running better with Nvidia on Windows, it makes little sense to gimp 10 applications just for Vegas; when better alternatives exist, anyways. 

The statement that "all the big video applications run better with AMD" is completely false. "All the big video applications" come from cknpanies that can afford to hire developers to implement proper CUDA support, which completely reverses that assertion. 

You have to not have used many of them to come to that conclusion. 

Vegas Pro has longstanding issues with its support and use of GPUs independent of the merits of any particular brand. It's just mediocre software. 

I have never really felt a huge difference in Vegas with GPU Acceleration on and off, but it gets buggy if I have it on with the GTX card selected. For example, effect adjustments do not live update. I have to close the effect editing window before the preview will update (obviously not an acceptable workflow).

On macOS, OpenCL is deprecated and things are moving to Metal. Final Cut, Premiere Pro, and Resolve are already on Metal... because the co.panies that make the "big video applications" are quick to move on these things. 

Once Resolve 15.1 allowed me to round trip with Sound Forge, Vegas Pro was over for me. 

• For me: Vegas renders ~2x faster with GPU Cuda support turned on than forcing' CPU Only' and I haven't experienced any stability issues because of it.