General Notes and a Print Dialog Bug

Getting around pretty well so far but have a few suggestions I've noted so far as well as a significant bug in the print dialog. I'm able to work around it manually, but it happens each and every time.

Notes: 

1. There is no ready made canvas for 8.5x11" prints, nor is there a way to create or save custom canvases - this would be great as presently I need to manually create a canvas each time. I've set the default canvas to the required dimensions as a workaround so it is chosen whenever I create a new blank canvas but if I want to change the orientation, I have to manually type the values again, so it would save a lot of time (especially at an event) to have a "Letter" option.

2. The Tooltips are difficult to read on a full HD screen and are virtually impossible to read on a HiDPI display

3. In the print dialog, there should be a "Zoom to Fill" option as the "Fit" option leaves white space if the ration isn't 100% correct

4. Resizing screen - I see that CTRL-0 (on a PC) zooms the window to fill to the background, but I haven't found one yet that zooms (or unzooms) to the foreground. Does this exist? When importing some foreground images, they can be very large compared to a print sized background and it requires manually zooming out (with the mouse wheel or CTRL and + or - keys) to find the corner handles to manually drag the scale to match the canvas.

Print Bug

If you modify the print margins to any custom value, or select "None" and decide to switch back to default for any reason without shutting down the software and starting a fresh session, the default (assuming "auto") are reset to a value that results in a 0"x 0" image, requiring a manual intervention once again. If "Show Margins" is turned on, the entire preview window turns red.

There is lots to like, especially the speed. Good job overall and looking forward to the next release...

Comments

• Hey @HatMan2K.

Thank you for the feedback - it's much appreciated. It's nice to hear you are getting on well with it and liking it. Few responses for you:

"There is no ready made canvas for 8.5x11" prints, nor is there a way to create or save custom canvases"

We will add a preset for this. Ability for users to create custom canvases is on the roadmap for the future. We have a few things to get done first - stay tuned.

"The Tooltips are difficult to read on a full HD screen and are virtually impossible to read on a HiDPI display" 

Yup, this is a straight up bug. We have been aware of it, its annoying and it is being worked on around other stuff.

"In the print dialog, there should be a "Zoom to Fill" option as the "Fit"

Ok, noted, we will log that and consider it for a future release.

"Resizing screen - I see that CTRL-0 (on a PC) zooms the window to fill to the background, but I haven't found one yet that zooms (or unzooms) to the foreground."

Ctrl +1 zooms to 100% also. Ctrl + 2 - 200%. Ctrl + 4 - 400%. Ctrl + 8 - 800%. Having a "scale to fit  largest layer" option on the menu seems like a good idea (probably Ctrl+Alt+0). We will add it to the the wish list. Please correct me if i have misunderstood what you want here.

"Print bug..."

We will log the print bug and have a look into it.

Do let us know if you have ay further questions or feedback.

• @HatMan2K

Regarding the bug with the printer margin settings, we have been unable to reproduce that so far. Can I ask a few further questions:

- What printer are you using?

- What page size/layout do you have selected, and is this the default on your printer?

- When you initially select the printer and/or page layout, are the default margins incorrect (resulting in a 0x0 image), or does it have margins, and they only become incorrect (0 x 0) when you return to the default setting?

• @HatMan2K

Please disregard my questions above - we were able to reproduce the problem on a Staff computer shortly afterwards, and tracked down the problem.

Today's update to Imerge Pro 1.2 fixes three of the issues you mentioned, amongst other things:

- There is now a preset canvas size for 8.5x11" prints
    - Tooltips have been made larger
    - The issue with margins in the Print dialog should be resolved

Let us know what you think!

• edited October 2018

Tested 1.2 at an event over the weekend and I appreciate these fixes! All three work as expected in this update. Thanks for being so responsive.

Yes, you understand the intent of my zoom comment. In Photoshop, CTRL-0 zooms out to the "extent" of the largest layer making it easy to find the handles to adjust the size, etc. Zooming in is great for detail work as you process a project, but during initial setup or tweaking, a "wide" zoom would be very nice.

I have discovered a couple of other annoyances that could use some attention as well after handling over 1000 edits this weekend...

1. Export Settings are not retained. It would be great if the preferred file type, color space (Save for web), quality, etc., were part of the "Settings" panel and were retained from instance to instance. Presently, they have to be set for each new file.

2. Canvas Settings Bug. This one doesn't seem to be consistent, but if you click Canvas Settings and change the DPI *and* canvas orientation, the orientation is not set and you need to click Canvas Settings a second time to set the orientation, but the DPI is retained the first time. Very odd.

3. Canvas settings Bug. If you change the DPI after adding at least 2 imported image layers the image becomes distorted. In order to change the DPI (from the default 300 to 240 for example) you have to start a new project and start over.

4. Quad Warp Bug, maybe. This could be intended operation, but if it is, it doesn't make sense... If you apply quad warp to a layer with a vector mask, the mask is not warped, only the layer information. This requires the mask to be removed and reapplied to the warped layer, meaning it is *very* difficult to make changes to a warped layer containing a mask.

Hope this is useful and would make my next event much smoother! Have a good one!

• Hey @HatMan2K,

Thanks for the feedback - do keep it coming. Some responses for you:

1. Export Settings are not retained. It would be great if the preferred file type, color space (Save for web), quality, etc., were part of the "Settings" panel and were retained from instance to instance.

Like it! We will add this to the wishlist and consider it for a future release.

2. Canvas Settings Bug. This one doesn't seem to be consistent, but if you click Canvas Settings and change the DPI *and* canvas orientation, the orientation is not set and you need to click Canvas Settings a second time to setthe orientation, but the DPI is retained the first time. Very odd.

Yup - nice spot! We can replicate this and will look into fixing it.

3. Canvas settings Bug. If you change the DPI after adding at least 2 imported image layers the image becomes distorted. In order to change the DPI (from the default 300 to 240 for example) you have to start a new project and start over.

We are struggling to replicate this bug. Could you give us a screenshot of before and after or an example project file this occurs on (send it to https://fxhome.com/ask.

4. Quad Warp Bug, maybe. This could be intended operation, but if it is, it doesn't make sense... If you apply quad warp to a layer with a vector mask, the mask is not warped, only the layer information. This requires the mask to be removed and reapplied to the warped layer, meaning it is *very* difficult to make changes to a warped layer containing a mask.

This is indeed intended behaviour. It lets you mask something into a particular spot on the background. However we do appreciate your use case is a little different so will add it to the list ot see what we can do about this in future.

• Thanks again for the feedback!

I've tested #3 again and it may be video driver/memory related. I updated the video driver on the test system, an Nvidia 2GB card and haven't seen the issue since. I'm testing now on my main workstation, an Nvidia 6GB card, and have not been able to replicate the issue either. Both are now running v416.34 driver directly from Nvidia.

• @HatMan2K Ah... thats good that its no longer happening after a graphics driver update - do let us know if it re-exhibits.

It sounds like what you were seeing was when you changed the size the graphics card failed to re-render the image (due to bug in the drivers). So instead Imerge just showed the previous render, which is a different size so it appears stretched.