Import menu improvement and feedback

This discussion was created from comments split from: Canvas and Template Choices.

Comments

• @rikkiloades - the menu import option should have another option - import into an existing layer. Imagine you set up all your keying, and then you want to import additional images during the event shoot. You can do so via the plus sign in the Content section, but not via a menu action. Also - the thumbnails in the Content area are way too small imo. Why should we see the whole path there? Please rearrange that section.

Also - there is no ability to see, which images were already processed. I can understand you want your product being more widely used, but you just imo completly ruined an experience for an event photographer, to which a PhotoKey is (was) a number one product on the market. And it came without a notice ....

• rikkiloadesrikkiloades Staff
    edited October 2018

@2zonestudio Thank you for reaching out and providing feeback. It is valuable stuff for us.

"the menu import option should have another option - import into an existing layer"

We will add that to our list and look into the possibility of adding something like that.

"Also - the thumbnails in the Content area are way too small imo. Why should we see the whole path there? Please rearrange that section."

Just removing the whole filename path won't allow enough vertical space for the image to get bigger and maintain its aspect ratio. We don't want to take up too much vertical space in the content area as it will make it harder to navigate through the list of content. We will see what we can do to make it a little bigger though.

"Also - there is no ability to see, which images were already processed."

Noted - and let us know if there is anything else that would make it a better experience for you.

• Well, look - I sometimes voluntarily work as a betatester to some apps / programming langs, recently e.g. on1 Photo. I am willing to help, so my question is - do you have any beta group? Or are you fine posting here? Where should we post our findings, please?

As for your note above - removing paths surely does not make more real estate for image thumbnails, but - don't hesitate to just make them larger ;-) It was the same with the on1 masks, now they are larger. This section should be still useful, right?

OK, now new findings:

- When you import 1 image, the app asks you, if you want to adapt a canvas, which is nice. It does not happen, if you import more than one image, though ....

- Template formats - 4x6 - where can I find a 6x4 or a possibility to flip the coordinates?

- Export settings dialog - it can't be closed - does not have any cross icon to do so. You hit the Escape and the app closes ....

- All the tooltip texts are way too small imo ....

The above list is just from some 5-10 minuts of trying to become familiar with the app .... more might come later ...

• rikkiloadesrikkiloades Staff
    edited October 2018

Hey @2zonestudio

Thanks for the followup feedback - I have moved your feedback into a separate thread to keep things tidy and organised (and easier to keep track of). Continue to feedback here, thats what the forum topic is for - we do look, take note and it influences us.

"As for your note above - removing paths surely does not make more real estate for image thumbnails, but - don't hesitate to just make them larger ;-) It was the same with the on1 masks, now they are larger. This section should be still useful, right?"

Yup, we are looking at what we can do and try to balance information density so you can get enough stuff on the screen to avoid too much scrolling while at the same time making the previews bigger.

"- When you import 1 image, the app asks you, if you want to adapt a canvas, which is nice. It does not happen, if you import more than one image, though ...."

Yes, we are aware of this, its on our list to do but we have a few other things to get done first. The difficulty with the case of multiple images is if the images you are importing all have different sizes you have to handle this. Some options include:

• default to not changing the canvas size - what it does today.
    • defaulting to the biggest, smallest , first, last or most common size.
    • asking the user whether they want the biggest, smallest , first, last or most common size.
    • asking the user to choose from a list of all possible options - which could end up with a rather cumbersome UI.

We will be carefully assessing this and seeing what option makes most sense. Or providing the choice with the best UI we can think of. For now, its intended to allow you if you are just getting started with a composite with single images (the most common workflow) to adapt to the size of that image when its the first image that is imported.

"- Template formats - 4x6 - where can I find a 6x4 or a possibility to flip the coordinates?"

So when you have the canvas settings open. If you select a template which is not custom, it lets you switch between portrait and landscape. I think that is what you are looking for:

"- Export settings dialog - it can't be closed - does not have any cross icon to do so. You hit the Escape and the app closes ...."

Looks like a bug to me - thanks for catching it. We'll see what we can do to improve things here.

"- All the tooltip texts are way too small imo ...."

Yup, we agree! It's on our bug list and we are looking to fix it as soon as we can.

Once again, thanks for your feedback, this will all help us make a better product going forward.

• @2zonestudio

In today's update to Imerge Pro 1.2, we've increased the size of tooltips, and resolved the issues with closing the Export settings dialog.

Check it out and let us know what you think!

• @2zonestudio Today we released Imerge 2.0. The content thumbnails have been made almost 2 times bigger. Content also has some other useful information with them. Check it out.