Help! Loading footage, Hitfilm crashes every time!

Windows 7 Pro 64bit
8gb memory
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750Ti graphics card (drivers are updated)
K-Lite Codec Mega pack installed (after Quicktime Alt. 1.8)
Hitfilm Express 9.1.8023.7201

The clip is 29 seconds long, 1080p, and there are four versions of it, converted using VirtualDub:

MTS (original, straight off the camera; Codec: H264 - MPEG-4 AVC (part 10) (h264));

MOV (Codec: H264 - MPEG-4 AVC (part 10) (avc1)),

MOV (Codec: MPEG-H Part2/HEVC (H.265) (hev1)),

and MOV(Codec: Apple ProRes 422 HQ (apch)).

On the MTS file, HF doesn't crash, but neither does it ever finish loading the file. On all the others, it loads fine but crashes the instant the file loads. You probably have a dozen dump reports from my email address today and yesterday alone.

I discovered today that I can move the "We're Sorry" crash window out of the way and continue working! Editing, exporting, all that. (Haven't tried compositing, yet.)

So, a couple of questions:

What's causing the crash and how can I prevent it?

I've installed the Formats add-on, but MTS files never load. I had thought the add-on was supposed to allow me to work with them, is that not the case?

Thanks!

- Bill in KCMO, US

Comments

• @MapsEdgeInKC ; Since you're on Windows, I would recommend converting  to Cineform as your editing intermediate.  Quicktime in the wild is pretty much deprecated.  Cineform is native to HF now and should provide better performance (and hopefully do away with your crashes).

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator

Two notes to add to @Stargazer54's comment:

Hitfilm doesn't read h.265. (So toss that transcode).

Consider downloading MediaInfo (it's free)  and posting a full tree report here. That will tell us much about your files.

That said, QT is a PITA on Windows. The official Apple version is still 32-bit and hasn't updated since 2011. I think Hitfilm is using custom QT code on Windows, but Cineform is the better option.

• I need to get some real clarity on "Convert to Cineform". The VirtualDub2 interface doesn't read that way: I save the file as type MOV, then select "GoPro CineForm (native)" as the compression. (Type MOV = container; GoPro Cineform = codec, right? Still learning the difference.) 

So save as type, say, AVI with Cineform "compression"?

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator

Correct. Try "Medium" for Quality 

• Huzzah!, we're in. THANK YOU.

One more question: is there a setting for the audio so HF doesn't have to spend hours "conforming" it?

Oh, nope, I lied: is there a setting that will let HF continue to play the video when it loses focus? I've got a LOT of video to watch waiting for a specific moment and I'd like to be able to do something else while it's going.

• I need to get some real clarity on that. "Convert to Cineform". The VirtualDub2 interface doesn't read that way: I save the file as type MOV, then select "GoPro CineForm (native)" as the compression. (Type MOV = container; GoPro Cineform = codec, right?) 

This is what I see:

Sooooo, save as type AVI and use the Cineform "compression"?

• HitFilm's current design is to pause playback when HitFilm loses focus. Long story short, it's a precautionary measure to ensure that it doesn't try to operate on a file that might be changing elsewhere (or is being deleted). There have been numerous requests to change this behavior, but feel free to add yours to the mix if you wish.

As for your VD2 question, I believe it was already answered by @Triem23 above.