Stranger Things 3 [Orchestral] Title Sequence (Full Upload)!

Hey guys! It's been some time being on the forum!! 
At the moment I'm working on an advert so it's been taking up some time.

On another note.. Stranger Things is being filmed ready for Season 3! so I've 
Been working on a new title sequence, a lot of how it was made is based off of the original steps putting the sequence together, anyway here's the promo video :)  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLs0XPfvUyc

I hope I have found you all well and to catch you all soon! 

Tony.

Comments

• This is really well done!

• I liked how you used videos from the original intro. I think it went a bit too fast but otherwise it's very good!

• edited June 24

Hey @TopsStudios Thank you very much! 

Hi @The_Blupper This is not from the origional videos and is completely made from scratch, the origional video was used as reference for key timing (transitioning and letter positioning) :) also the tempo of the theme and scenes are identical to the origional! thank you though! :)    

Note that the promo is only for brief examples to show what it will look like for the full release within a few weeks.   

• Sweet!  Looking forward to the final piece!

• Wish this forum had a thumbs up button. Sweet looking Tony!!

• Beautiful! Is there going to be a tutorial about how you put everything together?  I've got a few guesses about some bits, but always love seeing others' approaches to things.  The HitFilm trick toolbox can never be too full. :)

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator

Like I said on YouTube, "it's perfect!" 

• edited June 29

@jsbarrett Sure thing dude, what is it you think needs explaining out of the video? It'll be based in Photoshop and HitFilm so it might be a tad difficult for folk who don't have it, Glad you like it dude! I'm unsure of twitter btw, it's very different in the targeting, did you see it come up on your feed?   

@Triem23 ;<3 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_a1lp_ygGB4 pretty much the typeface plus modding and texture (Kodalith) was influenced buy this video and other sources. 

• edited July 1

I had to re upload, the correct theme score is in there now, you can also download the track from the link in the description :)  
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JX6exdEa0hQ

• @NXVisualStudio Yes, I did see it come up, though mainly because I've made a specific list of VFX folks who I like to watch. :)

To answer your other question, I didn't have anything specific in mind when I asked if a tutorial was coming. Because you mentioned that it's a mix of Photoshop and HitFilm, though, I'm curious to know in general which parts were done in each program.  Also, do you feel that the entire thing could be done strictly inside of HitFilm, or are there areas where HitFilm couldn't do certain pieces to your satisfaction?

• @jsbarrett Hey man, some really good questions!

Photoshop was used to alter the benguiat typeface, If you look here; https://goo.gl/images/U3MhUS the letters have been 'sharpened' at the points to give it a more horror look and custom to fit the 'S' and 'T' as well as the 'G' and 'E', if you look at the HitFilm store the type face is default and the lettering doesn't align.

Photoshop was used to texture the text as well, to get the Kodalith texture you can use negative noise 'more grey and black than white' with subtle staining, yes you could defonatly do it in the software but for the average gaming rig it will be a procedural nightmare creating a lot of hang due to the individual lettering and variable iterations.

HitFilm was the main power house to tie it all together, but in short, providing you optimize each comp for each letter you can achieve high levels of detail from HitFilm alone :)

'Yes, I did see it come up, though mainly because I've made a specific list of VFX folks who I like to watch.' Blushing here! :D

• Hey guys, While making the origional score I was also making an orchestral version!  
    https://youtu.be/9hnxfsBTPCk

• @NXVisualStudio ; Sounds very sweet.  I like thew color change too for the change in mood, I suppose?  It does have a different vibe.

• @tddavis Hey man, Thank you! the color is signature so this is more of a personal thing, originally it was going to look like an old stained music sheet (sepia) almost to give it the vintage feel but I hated it instantly xD 

You're right on the mood, the origional score is hot where's the orchestral version feels spaced (cool) so the blue/purple compliments it I think!      

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator

Sepia? Ugh, no. For retri-80's titles in a pseudo backlit rostrum animation it's Red, Green, Blue, Purple or Orange. Anything else wouldn't match the 80's. 

I love this alternate version. The Blue works (and it's the color of the Upside Down, so fits the show). I really like the theme remix, but I wouldn't call it orchestral - the synths are still predominant. Tympani drums, pizzicato strings for the arpeggios, woodwinds on the melody and brass swells for the filter sweeps... That's orchestral. Yeah, yeah, picky Mike... 

• @Triem23 'Sepia? Ugh, no. For retri-80's titles in a pseudo backlit rostrum animation it's Red, Green, Blue, Purple or Orange. Anything else wouldn't match the 80's.' It was going to resemble something like this https://goo.gl/images/7XzQBY... baroque/Neo classical needles to say it didn't last long xD 

'but I wouldn't call it orchestral - the synths are still predominant. Tympani drums, pizzicato strings for the arpeggios, woodwinds on the melody and brass swells for the filter sweeps... That's orchestral. '

Oh it's orchestral alright, we have 80% of the instruments acoustically resonating ..Violas, Violins, Cellos, Basses.
    Tympani, Taiko and some Indian Drums, Harpsichord and Brass section where included in the mix although the brasses where filtered in the origional track to produce a synth like effect using EQ, there was only two synths that I kept in that mix just to keep the vibes and texture, to have the violins playing pizzicato would have it sounding like a ballet set.. it's to polite, I like aggressive Epic sound so Staccato  all the way baby.... I almost did a Catherine Tate Grandmother when you mentioned pizzicato.

'I love this alternate version. The Blue works (and it's the color of the Upside Down, so fits the show)' Beyond the picky Mike I'm glad you approve! also you're the second person to get the 'upside down' in the final making process, I tried to steer it into the purple/blue signature vibes, thanks my dude!    

• edited November 14

@NXVisualStudio ;- How did you do the glowing, and darker parts of the text?