Looking for a great camera for filmmaking

Hi, i have been searching for a new camera for making filmmaking, and i have found a few, tho i would like to hear what someone else, that maybe know a little more about camera´s than me, think i should buy or consider buying

The ones i have been looking a little at is the Canon EOS 80D and the Panasonic lumix GH5 camera, tho i think the GH5 is a little too expensive for my budget which is around 1000-1200€ 

So if anyone have any suggestions to what camera to buy (it doesn´t have to be one of the ones above) i would really appreciate it :D

Comments

• edited June 2018

The Canon EOS 80D is a very nice camera.  In the past, I have debated whether or not to purchase it.  However, at this time, I will probably wait until Canon releases a new version before I make a final decision.

For what its worth, I presently use a  Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ2500 (with V-Log firmware upgrade) as my primary camera.  For my hobbyist photographer and short filmmaker requirements, the said camera has served me well.   I am a big fan of bridge cameras, but they might not be suitable for everyone's needs.

I also own a Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ300, but it does not see much use these days.

• edited June 2018

The GH5 is a great camera but if it’s a little expensive for your budget I’d get something g cheaper and put the extra u save towards a good lens or 2. I’ve not used the 80D but hear ld iot’s great. I don’t think the 90D is far off but isn’t the 80D about 1K aswell? You may wanna look at the 800D, it looks pretty good. Just search for a 800D vs 80D video on YouTube to see what the differences are.

• Thank you very much, both of you :)

• No worries, your welcome. When you’ve decided let us know. Be interested to hear what you’ve picked and why

• Look for a used Pocket Cinema Camera, spring for some lenses, and start shooting. As you improve, upgrade to a BMPCC 4K. Then make your dSLR totin' friends jealous with your beautiful color, and ignore the jealous boneheads on the BMD forums who complain about BMD not offering 8K yet.

• 8K - facepalm. I'm still shooting 1080p and it looks great. People get carried away with the latest and greatest.

• I agree. IMO color and dynamic range are more important in the camera, and lighting is in the end what determines how good your images will end up.

• Hi, I owned the Canon 80d and it's an awesome camera! But I will say I just replaced it with the new Sony a7iii, and that camera runs around $2000 but it is far worth the money, and the low light beats out the gh5 by miles 

• Yeah low light is one thing that bugs me about the GH5, it’s not awful, I’ve used it in low light with metabones Speedbooster & Sigma 18-35 and it’s much better with that combo but I still wish it was a little better. Would love to try the GH5s out... dream camera however is the A7S iii, yeah I know it’s not out but it’s gonna be awesome

• Well, my dream camera is a Monstro, but that's a wee bit out of both of our price ranges. :)

• I also have an 80d for sale with a 18-135 is usm lens and a tokina 11-20 f2.8

• If you like the GH5 but is not within your budget,  you can try the Panasonic G85 .  Its around $900- $1000 and its has some of same features of the GH5.  

• edited August 5

Hey i hope you are doing  great, if you still want to buy a new camera then you should choose canon 80d. Because i also using this last 2 months. Its working nice and click beautiful with hd result images.

• As others already said, Canon 80d's footage is great, just be sure to get a nice lenses that match your purposes properly.

I use a Sony Alpha 6000, it's not full frame but APSC. I shoot mainly with a Sigma 30mm f/1.4 lens, which is absolutely great in low light and somewhat compensates the non-full-frame feature. The camera is small and pretty handy when using it with a stabilyzer (it's a mirrorless camera). The rig can be bought brand new for about USD 900 (averaging the camera at USD 500 and lenses at USD 400).

One feature I miss in the Alpha 6000 is the non-external mic jack (you can use the top Rode mic/flash plug anyway but still) and the ability to shoot in S-Log2 color profile which provides a flat-colored image to be color graded in post. You can still use some flat color preset in the camera itself, but not as good as S-Log2.

If you can afford it, you can go for a Sony Alpha 6300 or even 6500, which both provide external mic plug and S-Log2 features and don't cost so much more (about USD 300 more for the 6300 and a bit more for the 6500). Both also feature 1080p 120fps which is great. Sony Alpha 6000 is limited to 1080p 60fps which may or may not suite your needs (just in case you need a super slow motion footage for some reason).

Hope this helps!

P.D. I'm a casual shooter, and yes, I'm a Sony shooter whatsoever :)