The Doctor Strange Apple Effect

After about a month of experimentation, I've finally released a new tutorial on the Doctor Strange Apple Effect! I'd like to hear some feedback and such, however, I can't resist to say that I'm really proud of this one :) If you enjoyed, you can suggest some other effects, like the video, or even subscribe if you'd like to.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dskKwh5Fzfk&t=34s 

Comments

• Really nice! However, I think I would have done it by filming the apple in the same frame as the rest of the scene, then using a mask to separate you and the apple (similar to how a clone effect would be achieved). This way, the apple would physically be in the shot, instead of pasted on.

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator

@triforcefx that's a valid approach, but then you have to be very precise in taking the bites and getting the apple back in the exact spot. 

Both ways are valid. I haven't checked out the tutorial yet, so I might have more input later. 

• Not bad, but I agree w/ @triforcefx re: shooting the apple in the actual scene.  It does require more care in placing the apple in the right spot each time, but would lead to a better end result.

Going back to the method you used, there are a few things that I feel could be improved:

• Because you manually masked out the apple, the keying effects to remove the green background aren't necessary.
    • The lighting of the apple doesn't match the lighting of your acting plate.  It feels a bit too flat.  While this is best fixed when shooting the apple, you may be able to correct it by applying Curves in a grade layer at the top of your apple comp.
    • In the final comp, the shadow of the apple is too light compared to the other shadows in your acting plate, and the Drop Shadow effect doesn't make a shadow that matches what you would get from an actual light in the room.  To make a better shadow, I would duplicate the apple comp layer, move this between your apple and acting layers, add the Fill Color effect to turn the whole thing black, then scale and skew it (using Quad Warp for the skewing) to match the shadow angles of your acting comp. Maybe add a blur if needed, and adjust the opacity and blend modes to get a shadow that better matches your plate.
    • The camera's direction change is too sharp in your final comp because you're using linear keyframes.  Switch to either Smooth or Manual Bezier to get a more natural movement.
  • @triforcefx @Triem23 @jsbarrett Thank you all for checking out the tutorial, and more importantly giving me some tips on how to improve! I'll definitely take these into consideration when creating a new effect similar to this or using similar techniques to this.