Process Finished Unexpectedly - Hitfilm 4 Express Export Error

I keep on getting an error when I export saying that Process Finished Unexpectedly, and when I open the file, Windows says it doesn't support the file or it's encrypted. If you know, please tell me.

Comments

• Hello, I have Hitfilm 4 Express 2017 and when I try to export a video, it says Process Finished Unexpectedly and when I open the video, Windows says the file type is not supported or it is encrypted even though I use the Youtube Preset. Any Thoughts?  Please Respond 

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator

Let's start with the basic questions. 

What is your CPU, GPU, OS, RAM and storage? Are your GPU drivers current? What's the codec/format of your source video? What kinds of editing/effects are in your final video? 

• You either have HitFilm 4 Express or HitFilm Express 2017.  The latter is the most recent version.  There is no 4 Express 2017.

If it finished unexpectedly, then chances are the export is corrupted, which is why it won't play.  What are your system specs?  OS, RAM, CPU, GPU, and free hard drive space?  What is the nature of the project you're trying to export?  How long is it, and what kind of media does it contain (video/audio/stills)?  If it contains video, did you transcode before editing?  If you don't know what I'm talking about, then I strongly encourage you watch this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yqhl0mRuTng

If you're not transcoding, it's possible some issue with one or more video clips could be causing HitFilm to crash.  Before I began transcoding, I got crashes on a regular basis with any imported video.  Now it almost never crashes.  Yes, it takes some time and requires more hard drive space, but it's worth it for smoother editing and almost no crashes.

• Hello Hitfilm Team, Im exporting a video to YouTube and When I export it, it says Error and Process Finished Unexpectedly. I can't stand this and this is what causing me to stress out whenever I try to export a video. I would really appreciate it if someone could tell me whats going on or could help me with this issue. Thank you for your time for reading this. Please Reply to this ASAP.

• @FierceNikki ; Are you using an older version of Hitfilm.  Exporting directly to Youtube is no longer an option due to ongoing issues with YouTube interface uploading issues.  I think Hitfilm recommends exporting to your video format of choice on your hard drive and then log into your Youtube acct  and upload it.  Hope this helps you out and saves frustration.

@FierceNikki I'll go one step farther than @tddavis. Don't try to directly export to Youtube. As tddavis noted, everytime YouTube changed it's code, the direct upload to Youtube broke. That option has actually been removed in all versions of Hitfilm after 4, and it's not going to be fixed in Hitfilm 4.

Render to your computer, then upload from there.

• @Triem23 How do I render to my Computer?

• And By the way the Version im using is Hitfilm Express 2017, Is that an old version?

Hitfilm Express 2017 is the current version, but my guess is you're in Hitfilm Express 4. Express 2017 is when YouTube export was removed... 

Either way, this video covers how to Import and Export everything in any version of Hitfilm from v2 on (Express 2017 is v5). 

Pre Hitfilm 2017 export starts at about 12:30. Hitfilm 2017 and later export starts at 28:20.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMGpxHBKq9E

•  Omg thanks so much! I'm going to watch this video right now to see if it will help me! Thx a bunch!

• @Triem23 Hello, I watched the whole video (Just to be sure) and it seems im still confused. (Like on rendering the video) Can you give me like a certain point in the video where I could watch to show me how to do what you just told me to do? (Sorry, im 13 and new (sort of) with this. The export button is driving me crazy)

@FierceNikki pardon my momentary laziness, but I'll refer you back to the description in the video, which has time codes for the relevant sections. On a computer, clicking those time codes will jump you to the relevant section. 

Otherwise, well, that's my video, thus the best explanation I have. If you do a YouTube search for "Hitfilm Export" you'll find other videos from other tutorial creators that might have explanations that are better for you. :) 

•  In the export for me, Im not using the old export Im using the Updated export for Hitfilm Express 2017 (Like hitfilm pro) I dont think that the video is clearing up my answers on to this. I just notice that. And I searched up  Hitfilm Export and the results are giving me the ones thats 6-8 years ago or a year ago or over 5 months ago. I want the updated recent version to fix my problem.

• edited May 2018

Hello, im back after a month now. I uninstall HitFilm Express 2017 and reinstalled and everything was good again, I could upload and edit with out troubles except one, when I try to upload my new video to YouTube, it says " the project XML document is invalid" What does that mean? That didnt happened before.

• edited June 2018

When I try to export a video it says finished unexpected midway through the exporting but it's only on one of my projects it does that

I have hitfilm express 2017

• I've read the things people said above but I don't really understand it 

Someone please help or make a video about it please

• @260szalssa If you have an export problem with one project that doesn't occur with others, the problem could be any number of things.  Is that project larger or more complex than the others?

•  @jsbarret the project is 10 minutes long with a lot of effects so ok big

• @260szalssa What are your system specs? OS, CPU, GPU, RAM, and hard drive. With a bigger project, you may be hitting the limitations of your system, but it could also be a specific effect causing the problem.

Does the export stop at the same point every time? If so, make a note of the progress percentage where it stops and use that to figure out where in the timeline the problem may be. For example, say it stops at 39%. 39% of 10 minutes is 3.9 minutes, so look at the elements in the timeline at 3.9 minutes (3 minutes and 54 seconds). Chances are there will be a composite shot or two.  As a test, set the in and out points on the timeline to surround that problem area, with maybe a second or two of padding on either side. Export just that marked area. If the export still chokes, you know you've found the problem, and can begin digging deeper.

Assuming the problem is in a composite shot, use a basic process of elimination to track down the issue. Hide all layers except the one at the very bottom of the stack (or the lowest visible layer if you have hidden layers at the bottom), then export that comp.  Unhide the layer above that. Export. Repeat until you've found the layer that causes the export to choke.  Then use that same process of elimination to find the specific effect on that layer that leads to the issue.

If no single layer in a single comp is causing the problem, it may be that you've got comps on multiple tracks in the Editor timeline, and the mix of all of their effects is the problem, making the specific problem a bit harder to track down.

• edited June 2018

@jsbarret thanks I'll try that now

• @jsbarret thank you so much for the help it worked 

• @260szalssa Glad to hear it! What was the problem?

• Hello, I was making a fortnite video and when I exported it, it finished completely, the next day, I record another fortnite video and edit it and export it,  it says error my fortnite clips are an avi file, I use memes to edit it, the memes are mp3 format, pls help me ASAP,

BTW what does In-Out and Contents mean when you export, what do they do?

• @FortniteBoii1 ; I can't help with the error you're having but I can try to explain the in out points and contents.

If you have a long clip on the time line or in a composite and you just want to render out a little bit if it to see how the effects or what not look, you can set an in point at the start of the area you want to isolate and then an out point at the end and select render in/out points.  Contents renders everything on the time line or in the composite.  If you cut a clip and push it out the way to the right you'll end up rendering your clip and blank area then the cut clip.  You can see this by if the darkened area at the end of your clip indicating contents ends or out point set.  If your clip is followed by a time line the same color and you have contents selected there's something to the right on the time line.  I hope this helps with some of your question.  I'm not the best at explaining so I hope it makes sense.

• jsbarrett  Thank you so much....... for the solution.

•  I Found a Solution

Export your project normally, go to the frame where it says error. Then delete the composite shot or video from media and again import it and again edit it then export your video

• It says "process finished unexpectedly" and I've fallowed the video but still nothing works! Can you help me? 

• @BBswag21 More details are needed:

1. What are your system specs? OS, CPU, GPU, RAM, and hard drive.
    2. What specific version of HitFilm are you running?
    3. How complex is your HitFilm project? Is it a simple cuts-only edit, or do you have effects in composite shots?