Film Sensei's Stuff: Interview with Javert (June 21, 2019)

Comments

• Thanks everyone! I am planning on coming out with a tutorial on the Tron Light Cycle video complete with a Base Project File for download. It is done with the Particle Sim, so it is all procedural. All you have to do is Keyframe the Cycle Position Point and the Particle Sim does the rest!

• Excellent!!!!!!!!!! :)

• Not sure how I missed this. Looks great.... even the noise just takes me back 

• ......and forgive me for being forward, but when might this tutorial be up? I only ask as I am in the middle of my own TRON sequence for my movie, and would LOVE to use those light trails :)

• @WedgeOz Why don't you send me an email at hitfilmsensei@gmail.com. I can take care of you!

• Legendary! Thanks mate! :)

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator

@WedgeOz I'm sure @FilmSensei's project will be helpful, but I'm surprised you haven't cracked this yet. You guys are both working from the discussion in your TRON test thread. :-)

Jay, they really did come out fantastically.

• Haha...truth to tell, I haven't even tried to "crack it" lately, as I've been working on other scenes (which didn't require the light trails). Thankfully I took the easy way out and waited for Jay's input....lol. Saved me lots of time and head scratching :)

• @Triem23 Thank you. I was every happy with the result myself. You are correct.. Everything I did here was born out of the conversation in @WedgeOz's thread. That's why I love these forums... inspiration everywhere!

• Well after much trial and error (and my first REAL project using Hitfilm Pro 12), after using Hitfilm Ultimate for so long, I slowly and surely produced some light trails :). Now that my head is completely wrapped around how to make them, tomorrow I'll start storyboarding my shots for my film.

I think I mentioned earlier on my other thread, these Particle trails are going to be absolutely perfect, quicker, simpler and easier for all the wide angled shots (where there are multiple trails), yet I might still use planes for the extreme close ups (where I'm featuring my actors).

Dang! This really is fun stuff!! Thanks for everyone's input. This will drastically reduce the time it will take me to make this scene!! Cheers! :)

• @WedgeOz I am glad to hear it! I look forward to seeing what the final project looks like.

• Looking  forward to seeing it

• Check out my newest HitFilm tutorial video... Surface Studio Style Effect in HitFilm Express https://youtu.be/xZwthT9YT_U

• Really cool tut @FilmSensei . :)

• Check out my newest video... Compositing Stock Footage from Action VFX in HitFilm Express https://youtu.be/ASfVx6yPYI8

• Check out my newest video... Picture Replacement Using the Quad Warp Effect in HitFilm Express
  • Check out my newest HitFilm tutorial video... Creating a Sphere of Water in HitFilm Express https://youtu.be/6PwK0IF5epg

• Thanks for the tutorial your keeping the thread rolling with hitfilm content

• I did a Podcast with @FerraFilms ;that has been released on his YouTube Channel. Check it out!

https://youtu.be/bfHH0qS9Sjk

Other podcasts on his channel include Justin Barrett (@CleverTagline), Javert Valbarr (@JavertValbarr), VFX artist Tom Cowles, and actor Todd Bruno!

• edited June 8

@FilmSensei ,Oh man this is cool. Watching on the tube. :)

EDIT:

Handbrake converting , and screen capture fps... priceless info. Thanks. :)

• Excellent podcast. It's really interesting to hear how other people (especially from here) got into doing what they do, their approach and mindset.

I've listened to those previous podcasts and Ferra Films does get some really good guests. I asked how he managed it and he said "I ask" 

P.S. I stood in line for A New Hope... a really clear memory. I walked out the cinema with my eyes shut trying to 'force feel' my way back to my dad's car. 

P.P.S Thanks for the mention 

• @DafterThings @Spydurhank ...and I mentioned you both! :)

I tried to give a shout out to everyone I could think of while we were talking!

• @FilmSensei ,

Thank you for the much appreciated mention. :) The process of how you make and complete your tuts is awesome. Thanks for sharing that. It will help me a ton. :)

No wonder you're so good at tuts, you were a Karate instructor for like... ever! :)

• @spydurhank Thanks. I appreciate it. Maybe someday I should do a tutorial on how I do my tutorials! :)

Like I said in the podcast, I wouldn't recommend to anyone to do it like I do. My process is backward indeed, but it does make it feel more like a real, "live class" lesson. The hardest part is to be disciplined enough not to ramble!

• The reason I get so much from your tutorials is the way you engage the audience and take people along with you.
    Also you often verbalise my own thoughts and questions as I have them.

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator

@FilmSensei you probably should do a tut on doing your tuts. I've tried three approaches and find what's best for me is a bullet point outline (but a lot of bullet points ..), then just speaking off the cuff, where @JavertValbarr scripts as he dry runs, records/edits audio, then redoes mouse to his recordings. Some tutorial creators just go off the top of their heads, which is annoying when they realize 5 min later they missed a step. Anyway, how one approaches that is interesting.

Oddly enough some audience got MAD Javert does his final edit in Premiere and I use Vegas! 

• @DafterThings Thanks for your kind words, that means a lot!

@Triem23 I say whatever tool you are most comfortable using and gets a high quality job done is the right tool! I use HitFilm for everything, but I am most comfortable using it over anything else, so it's the best tool for me.

• @FilmSensei ,

You sir are correct. I need more focus so I can think linearly. I appreciate everything that I learn from you and everyone here on the forums. :) 

• @FilmSensei ; Great interview, sir.  I'm not a podcast listener but I found it very interesting. When you were talking about seeing Star Wars for the first time it made me feel old though when I realized I'm 10 years older than you. :)  BTW, Mia Sara was in Legend not Mia Farrow... Just throwing that out there.

• @tddavis Dang! I knew I was wrong about that when I said it! Thanks for the correction. The other movie I was trying to think of with Tom Cruise in it was "Taps" (with George C. Scott and Timothy Hutton).