How would you go about making Tron Legacy Cycle Ribbon Effect in HF2?

How would you go about making the Tron Legacy Light Cycle Ribbon in Hitfilm 2 Ultimate?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kn4SUk6p1fg

Comments

• Use the particals system. There's a tutorial on making light strips.
  • I have but I am not getting anything close to this type of an effect.  Most I can get is flaming cotton candy balls.
  • Switching to Atomic Particles I can only get a waving flagish type of effect using planes.  I am about to give up trying to get this effect.  Figured out how to make lava using blood spray though.

• You should do a tutorial on how to make flaming cotton candy balls.   Someday, someone will need that effect.
    :)
  • Is it even possible to get a flowing gelatin type of material / texture?   I went through a couple tutorials but was not able to get this either, best I could get were light strings but not sheets like what you see in the video and not the look and feel of Tron Legacy style light ribbons or whatever they maybe called.

• It's interesting working with the particle systems but it seems that the "particles" system is mostly clumpish material useful for clouds or cotton candy.. can't get any seamless smooth surface at all with particles but "Atomic Particles" I can get the smoother surfaces with planes but I actually need something that combines the two and I have no clue how to do that.
    Apparently you can attach points at different areas of a surface, I have not messed with that just see the option to do it though I wouldn't know how you would attach multiple points to a single surface.  Or am I looking at how this works wrong?
    In theory I can see attaching two effects, one to one point and another to a second point then attaching these points to a surface or is it you attach the surface to the points and adjust the points to where it would attach?
    I don't know, I can't figure it out at the moment.

• [quote name="I drank what?" post="36218" timestamp="1386451568"]Is it even possible to get a flowing gelatin type of material / texture?   I went through a couple tutorials but was not able to get this either, best I could get were light strings but not sheets like what you see in the video and not the look and feel of Tron Legacy style light ribbons or whatever they maybe called.[/quote]
    When I get home I'll try to do a tutorial
  • I gave it a quick try. The fading out is optional.  For the most part I like it, but I don't like how HF handled it around the curve.  Maybe there's an option I'm unaware of. Each bend around the curve to the left marks a frame and it's not rounding it out between each.
    http://youtu.be/6tCtUEfmmFw
  • Could always duplicate the particle system and then make 1 into a composite.  The particle system that's a composite would have blur on it and would be the outside thick blue part of the bars on RGBII's trail.  The duplicate particle system would be just the inner light wall :)
  • That's neat.  Mind sharing your project file rgbii so I can understand the difference between the right and wrong approach.   I am only a week into using Hitfilm and haven't gotten close to what you just showed.
    Thanks.
    MichaelJames, so you aren't suppose to start out in a composite shot and work from the layers from the get go?
  • Triem23Triem23 Moderator
    edited December 2013
    @I drank. You can put a composite shot inside another composite shot. Hitfilm calls this "Embedding Composite Shots," and there's a tutorial on the support page. I am on my smartphone right now, so I can't grab the link. So MichaelJames was suggesting duplicating the particle layer, and converting it to an embedded composite. He suggests this because you can't but blur directly onto a particle sim, but by converting it into an embedded composite, Hitfilm treats the embedded composite as a 2D plane layer, so he can add blur.
    Also, it looks like what rgbii did was to attach the particle emitter to a point, and set texture speed to 0. That way, the emitter is dropping textures like stones on a path--this is the basic techniques for doing strings, ribbons and trails in a particle sim.
    Incidentally, After Effects also lets you put a composite shot in a composite shot, but After Effects calls this "Precomping." I bring it up in case you look at After Effects tutorials and try to adapt them to Hitfilm.
    @rgbii--I am a bit surprised that Hitfilm is generating those corners--I thought it was doing sub-frame computation of motion paths--besides what MichaelJames said about embedding and blurring, is it possible shrinking the texture would smooth it out? Or maybe making the animation twice as long (to smooth it a bit) then embedding it and using a Speed filter to get it back to the speed you want?
  • I've attached it.
    The particle simulator is parented to 'Moving Point', so you can move it as needed.
    After you move it, adjust particles per second as low as you can, but still have it look right. Too low, and you see the individual particles, and too high and it takes longer to render. 
    Adjusting Movement->Life along with the Alpha under LIFETIME controls how and if it fades away.
    This was done quickly, so I'm sure there's plenty that can be done to make it look better, such as Michael's suggestion of adding some blur.
    Have fun :)
    Richard.
    [attachment=724:TronTrailTest.zip]
  • @rgbii--I am a bit surprised that Hitfilm is generating those corners--I thought it was doing sub-frame computation of motion paths--besides what MichaelJames said about embedding and blurring, is it possible shrinking the texture would smooth it out? Or maybe making the animation twice as long (to smooth it a bit) then embedding it and using a Speed filter to get it back to the speed you want?

Triem23, I was surprised too.  It seems that Hitfilm moves points straight between adjacent frames.  I guess in most cases, the distance traveled between frames is small, so it's seldom noticed, and for something like a 3d model or other object, it wouldn't matter at all.

• edited December 2013
    I like rgbii's attempt. I would add some displacement to the light wall and maybe a chrome effect with the opacity turned down as well. 
    And you dont have to use the built in textures. There is a video tutorial about how to use your own custom textures. 
    Take a look at Simon's tutorial on the invisibility effect. There are aspects of that effect that would work well with the light wall.
  • Null unit, I wanted to add some displacement, but ran out of time.  The example above doesn't use built in textures, just something simple I created outside of hitfilm.  With a little effort, I think it would be pretty easy do get closer to the video from the OP.
    edited December 2013
    For the record, I downloaded rgbii's file and played a little bit--I changed the composite properties for the TronTrail1 composite to 60 fps--this smoothed out the curve a bit more. Then I created a new composite shot at 29.97 fps and dragged the TronTrail1 composite into it as an embed--it kept the smoother curve from the 60fps--so that's another way to smooth the curve more.
    Heck, if I kept TronTrail1 at 60fps, and doubled it's length, scaling out the moving point so it moved at half it's speed, it would REALLY smooth that curve out, without any need for blurring--and, of course, I can embed that 60fps clip at "half speed" in another composite, still use speed to get the length back down to the time I want it and still take advantage of the 60fps movement curve....
    So we can work around that stairstep motion easily.
    I would play with this more, but I have about 8 source-hours of wedding footage to ingest right now.
  • Yeah, I'd add in fire at a 90 degree rotation for the displacement source layer and maybe a slight gleam effect on it to make it look more luminous and then blur it a bit.
  • Null unit, I wanted to add some displacement, but ran out of time.  The example above doesn't use built in textures, just something simple I created outside of hitfilm.  With a little effort, I think it would be pretty easy do get closer to the video from the OP.

Oh yeah, I was mainly directing my comment at the OP because he was saying how he was mostly getting cotton candy, cloud type effects which sounded like he was just using the built in textures. 

• Triem23, nice call on using the frame rate.  I put the particle simulator in it's own composite at 90fps, with the rest of the project at 30fps. Added a bit of blur, and it looks much better.
  • After fiddling a bit more, here's a smoother versions, though still not perfect. 
    Uses a higher frame rate and blur to smooth things out, and added a bit of displacement.
    http://youtu.be/aNbBR_XEF9Q
    In case anyone wants it, I've attached the updated project file. Note that this zip file doesn't include the other files, you'll need the zipfile above.
    [attachment=725:TronTrail2.zip]

Richard.
    edited December 2013
    Whoa, you can go to 90? I didn't see that in the drop-down! So, I guess you could enter custom frame rates... Like 72 (for a 3:1smoothing of a 24fps project)? Also, that version 2 is pretty sweet.
  • Yea, I tried entering 120, but it changed it to 100, so I guess that's the max. I figured 90 would work better with 30.
  • About the corner thing, have you tried changing the interpolation of the position keyframes that move the emitter? Maybe that will completely smooth the curve out, can't try it at the moment though because I'm at work...
  • Ah, dammit, Robin is right. I don't even need to boot up for that!Oh well. We learned something from it about being able to assign custom frame rates. That's useful for, say, setting up elements for speed ramps to go from fast to slow motion.
  • Robin, that was the first thing I tried, but no, the interpolation options seem to control the speed through the corner rather than the actual path. The slower speed did add more frames around the corner, but each one was still a noticable sharp bend, and the speed through the corner didn't look right to me when it was set to smoother since to me Tron bikes never seem to slow when changing directions.
    With other objects where the slower speed isn't an issue, it would help, but alone would not solve the problem.
  • Oh well, it was worth a try. This would be a nice addition though, spacial rather than only temporal interpolation.
  • SimonKJonesSimonKJones Moderator
    edited December 2013
    Yeah, currently we only have temporal interpolation options. Spacial is fixed to a smooth bezier curve. Definitely something I'd like to see have more user-control in the future.
    The framerate trick here is clever, btw. Nice work guys. :)
  • @rgbii Do you still have the project file?

@Mistery1307 rgbii hasn't been on the forum in four years. It's possible *I*have this project file somewhere, but what @FilmSensei is working on is literally the exact same thing as this project. It's just a point emitter dropping sprites as I described to you in another thread (where I suggested masking the center of the source texture for the fade. I know that works because of this thread).

Anyway if I find/have my copy of the project  I'll let you know.