JMcAllister's assorted clutter

2»

Comments

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator

Well, I didn't go into detail earlier.

Axel's method is a starting point. So particle animation can be changed to keep the drops from growing larger, and, since what Axel is doing is basically generating a control map for a Displacement effect... Well,  in the particle comp, stick a grade layer about the particles, add a Heat Distortion effect, turn diffusion down to 0 and adjust the distortion and scale parameters. That will break up the straight lines into more organic curves, while being very customizable. :-)

Might be worth taking a look at the VideoCopilot tutorial on Rain on Glass in After Effects. Axel's method procedurally generates the map that Andrew Kramer builds with some particles and animated plane layers, then uses Turbulent Displacement (Heat Distortion) to get the organic look. Then, in Hitfilm, a little tweaking with Caustics should get the same look ad the CC Glass.

And, of course, the particle sim allows forces (that can be keyframed) to generate wind.

Axel's method isn't perfect, but with more tweaking, it looks great. I've used it a few times for adding blood animations to videos or for custom "lens grunge."

Axel published his tutorial in October 2013. In November 2013 Hitfilm 3 Pro was released with the Rain on Glass effect. I think this might be a technique that Axel pushed out the door when it was only 90% complete because it was about to become "obsolete."

• edited October 2017

@Triem23 ok thanks for clarifying. Sorry I took your suggestion of "play around with Axel's method" as "use this method exactly" and misunderstood.

I think I will look up that AE tutorial.

Might still try to build a rain simulator if I have time though. I still think it would be a fun exercise and I quite like the name