Clever Tagline: Animated soccer schedule (January 22, 2020)

Comments

• I have this queued up to watch later. I have guesses as to your process, but one thing I enjoy about your tutorials is that I usually guess wrong somewhere. 

• Very nicely done , as usual. :) What did you use to compose the music? Any hardware involved? I'm looking at the Akai MPK Mini Mk2 to have a play with.

• Thanks gang!

@Palacono I used Reaper to compose the music.  While I do have an Akai Professional LPK25 MIDI controller, at the time I wrote that stuff I couldn't find the USB cable for it, so I just used Reaper's virtual keyboard to figure out the notes, then edited MIDI items with the mouse.  I've got a couple AU plugins for making that old 8-bit sound, but the one I ended up using was Magical 8bit Plug.

• @Palacono the MPK Mini is a good little keyboard, but if you (like me) are used to piano keyboards, then it might take you a while to get used to how small the keys are

• @JMcAllister I'm not used to anything - just looking to play around - but even composing simple little background loops with a virtual keyboard is like torture, so I'm even more impressed that that's what @jsbarrett did! As for not finding the USB cable, I could probably knit a scarf with all the spares I have...

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator

Ah, hah! I like how you put the leg animation together. Didn't see that coming. 

• Two new guest pieces are in the works.  One is still in the brainstorming stage, the other just had the script approved.  I still plan to get more Clever Tagline tips out there, with the next one revealing some new branding elements I made, but my focus needs to remain on these guest pieces for a while because...well, frankly, we've gotten into the habit of eating, and these projects ensure that we can keep doing that.

• [This is a slight deviation from the norm, as it's not something I made myself, but I'm definitely involved.]

Back on page 1 of this thread, when sharing my background, I mentioned that I left my day job in 2012 to pursue "other work," but didn't mention that this "other work" was primarily acting and voiceover.  I didn't get very far with either one for various reasons, but still got to work on some fun projects.  On the acting side, one of my favorite roles was a small part in an independent feature film called Left, "a coming-of-age story of Elaine, a college sophomore who has a Brachial Plexus injury, and aspires to be a pianist in spite of adversity."

The film was shot in 2014.  Four years later, it's finally finished and available to rent or buy on Amazon Prime.  Definitely check out the trailer.  The script for this film really grabbed me, as did the director's demo reel.  I haven't seen the final cut yet, but I hope to check it out soon.

• edited April 2018

Coming soon: smoky title tutorial for HitFilm Express

https://youtu.be/GPhgs1lJOuM

Must be exciting when a long-ago shot film both is released AND gets distributed! 

Smoke title? Set Matte is your friend. Nicely timed wipe. Is the smoke element doubling as the wipe matte, or did you use something else? 

• Set Matte is a pretty small part of it, but the bulk is other stuff.  The wipe isn't what you probably think it is, but I can say that it isn't driven by the smoke.  All will be revealed in due time.  It's my next ProductionCrate tutorial, so I can't let the cat out of the bag just yet.  :)

• Nice. I look forward to seeing the tutorial!

• Very cool nice !

• Wrapped the smoky text tutorial yesterday, and it went live today on ProductionCrate's channel.  Let me know what you think!

http://youtu.be/7EFXTrHP8CM

• @jsbarrett ; I watched it earlier today at ProductionCrate and I thought that was you, but I wanted to wait until you put a thread up here to be sure. :)  I thought it was very well explained, of course, and definitely can see it being super useful.  I have not yet walked through the steps yet though.  I did go ahead and download all the wisp pack to have ready.

• Very nice!  Look forward to giving this a try.  I can see lots of uses for this technique.  @jsbarrett ; Thanks for doing all the leg work!

• edited April 2018

I thought the tutorial, results and idea were all brilliant, but the presentation wasn't up to your usual 'jokey' standard.

It seemed a little downbeat in a few places and I couldn't really hear the smile in your voice.

"I wasn't happy..." "Although..." "I kinda liked it, but.." instead of "Good, great even; but not yet Awesome!" etc.

It could be down to the number of hours you say you spent producing the result - which you mentioned more than once... - in which case: kudos for powering through it and delivering a great tutorial. :)

• Saw this and loved it, nice use of the effects together and end result is very special indeed, in and lots not forget this, a free bit of software.

I have to agree with @Palacono. I think this ended up being a much tougher effect than you initially thought. I relate. Good techniques, good explanation. Viewers should be able to adapt this to their own work. 

So, in the effects stack with all the distortion and displace effects... Add another Displacement  effect (or two) on the text at the end and set smoke (any, all... Dealer's choice)  to the source layer (this might require an embedded comp with smoke over 50% gray). Then some of the distortion on the text is driven by the smoke itself. I might replace the fractal noise Displacement with the smoke ones.

Also, with the proper add-on pack, or in Pro, one can use Smoke Distortion instead of Heat Distortion.

• @Triem23 I used Smoke distortion effect in my Conan short, I wanted to give the still image of Conan sitting on the chair some life and the image already had smoke so I added the smoke effect to it and then as the memory images fly in, they are distorted using the Smoke Distortion effect.

• edited May 2018

Thanks for the feedback.  Every time I do one of these, I learn something new, and not just about HitFilm.  In this case, I learned something entirely different that was pointed out by the comments from @Palacono and @Triem23, although possibly not in the way they thought.

@Palacono mentioned that it's not up to my "usual 'jokey' standard," which I can definitely see in certain places, though I don't believe it's from the complexity of the technique and how long it took to work it out.  It did take a little more time than some other things I've done, but not as much as some (like @Triem23 ) might assume, and then there was a gap of about a month between working out the process and producing the tutorial.  Because of that gap, whatever mental fatigue or drain I might've felt from the experimentation phase didn't leak into the tutorial production as far as I know.  If anything, what might've leaked in was possibly some unrelated stress I was experiencing at the time I wrote the script.  Whatever the cause, my intention wasn't to comment on the struggle per se.  Frankly, I wanted to keep the tutorial from becoming ten minutes of "add this effect, set this property to X, set keyframes precisely here, etc." and instead make it more of an overview of the elements involved, and a reminder that some effects aren't pure paint-by-numbers.  In other words, I was trying to encourage more experimentation and less straight copying of values, timing, etc., though I can see how my wording might've come across differently.

But I don't think it's just the wording that contributed to the difference in tone compared to earlier stuff I've done.  I also don't feel that my vocal delivery was really that different from earlier pieces.  It took a while for this to click, but one element that I think might be a more significant contributor to the tutorial's more somber/serious tone is the music.  The piece I chose for this was selected purely because of how well it matched my vision for the opening sequence.  I wanted something subtle and mysterious, and I think it works for the opening.  However, by letting that track continue through the first couple minutes of the tutorial -- and bringing it back for the end -- it definitely sets a more somber tone for the whole thing, even when the music isn't playing.  The track I normally use for my own stuff is more bouncy, playful, and light.  If I'd only used the somber piece for the intro and switched to the lighter one for the rest, I have a hunch it would come across completely differently.

• edited May 2018

TBH, I didn't (consciously) notice the choice of music, although it may also have been a factor. I usually watch tutorial videos on x2 or x1.5 and only back up and slow down when required, so sped up music sounds a) more upbeat and b) easier to ignore.

To try and be more explicit: it was more the combination of the spoken delivery (25%?) and the choice of words (75%?) that I noticed. More glass half-empty than half-full in quite a few places. Once you ignore, twice you subliminally notice, third time you consciously notice and on the fourth occasion you wonder if you should call someone... The impression I got was that I could almost imagine you'd had to edit out a couple of <sigh>s in the VO.

So, I hope the unrelated stress you mentioned has been dealt with satisfactorily. :)

• First release under the new HitFilm TipFilm branding!  Nothing terribly earth-shattering, but it answers a long-overdue request:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFnz3WcmZoM

• Nice, the use of the point layer really is the top tip.

Love the logo animation! I think keep a version of the Clever Tagline logo, however. Channel name and show name?

Otherwise this is the kind of simple, elegant hack I love to learn. This is my second favorite Hitfilm technique of the year. Jay's write in air is my fav. That's another amazing one. 

I give myself number three for the Sandman Dissolve. Gotta finish the addenda video. 

• Stargazer54Stargazer54 Moderator

@jsbarrett Well done as usual!

• Yay! Nice one. Some great 'easter eggs' too and very cool dots to boxes at the end. :) Neat fix to the black sphere problem instead of my brute force demult or RGB key, or whatever I tried; I should have RTFM like you did. Thought you'd do a shadow too though.

Shadow: Duplicate arrow comp, set Sphere Z-scale to 0. Add color effect of choice to change the color of the flat duplicate.  Maybe some blur? Set layer blend to Multiply and adjust opacity.

Just a thought. :)