Star Trek Voyager Intro (Zach Alan's Productions Page: June/27/2018)

Comments

• Oh, and my AT-AT is in a different thread @Triem23

Have you seen my latest post? I think it was of my re-rig with the new model released by Hitfilm...

• @ZCC_Productions  Competition or not, if you build it, we will watch! I would be interested in a comparison of both versions as well.  You had to overcome different issues with the first model than when you used the Hitfilm version and they both worked out very nicely.

• @tddavis glad your interested 

I was just thinking that the competition gives me even more of a reason to try to make a tutorial...

• Oh, it's a great idea to be sure, but one I'm definitely not qualified to participate in.  Everything I know about Hitfilm was through the tutorials of others. :)

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator

@tddavis yeah, well, the majority of what I know about Hitfilm came from other's tutorials as well. ;-) To a certain extent "Hit-U" tutorials are compiling all the little bits of information scattered through other tutorials and this forum and combining them into one video. 

Also, to be pretty blunt about it, a lot of tutorials are adaptations or remakes of other's tutorials. Two different tutorial channels in the same week did "subsurface scattering" effects, and they were both just remaking the VideoCopilot tutorial on the technique. 

If ZCC did a tutorial on AT-AT rigging, I would certainly watch it, but it would be fundamentally the exact same tutorial as, well, part of what is now next week's Hit-U, or Aiden's animation rigging tutorial. (It would also largely be a video version of one of my posts in the AT-AT thread) I'd want to see if ZCC came up with any good/better hints on keeping the feet from "sliding," or if it's just trial/error/refine. 

But totally make the tutorial, because different people explain identical things in different ways,and one explanation might work better for one person than another. And you might win a thing. 

• @Triem23 thanks, I will start working on the tutorial soon then...

The foot slide fix I think I discovered on accident. I will explain in the video, but my animation isn't entirely accurate, partially because it can't be. Originally, I had it a certain way and didn't mess with the 'formula" for the keyframes. But, when Hitfilm released the Blender animation, I tried to replicate the movements, so I tried changing up the keyframes. The foot kept sliding, and at first I didn't know why. I'm pretty sure it has to do with the first keyframe of a step and the last having to be at the same angle, but opposite. For example, if the hip is rotated -20 degrees at the start of the step, it has to end on 20 degrees. 

There are many tips and tricks I have discovered along the way, so stay tuned for the tutorial. 

• @ZCC_Productions @Triem23 I've really love to see the thread showing the animation within HitFilm! I don't suppose you have a link to it do you?

@OliThompson

https://hitfilm.com/forum/discussion/42134/at-at-3d-model-point-rig-in-hitfilm#latest

The last page has ZCC's second-gen shot using Olav's gorgeous model, point-rig animated in Hitfilm. The first page has the discussion on point rigging (dude, seriously, my first post in that thread is a tutorial in itself), and the first attempt, which for reference was less that 24 hours after the thread started! 

Somewhere in the middle is the cute, fully composited railroad crossing scene. 

@ZCC_Productions I repeat, to date that's the best point rig animation I've seen in Hitfilm. I said up front I wouldn't want to try it myself, cuz I thought it would take three or four days to get a really good walk cycle, and you basically did it in one. 

The only issue I forsee for your tutorial is getting all the info into your time limit. It's a complex rig, and if your tutorial is equal to the animation, it'll be a frigging-rigging masterclass. 

• @Triem23 Maybe a 2 part series, one for rigging and another video for animating?

Also, since you did help me A LOT along the way, I would like to mention you in the video somewhere, maybe at the end of each video and put a link to the forum thread... What would your prefer I say, your name, your Youtube name, both?

•  After Hitfilm mentioned creating the Marvel intro in their Q&A, I decided to give it a go myself.

The pictures representing the comics are just frames from a Skittle's commercial I did for fun with a friend of mine. I plan on changing these, but I don't have any pictures to use at the moment...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5j9Zl4Fzmo

What do you think?

• edited April 2017

I think this was done amazing, looks just like the Marvel intro, did you watch a tutorial or did you do this on your own?

• @ZCC_Productions  I agree with @HIS_Films that is very well done.  I am also curious as to your process there.

• Thanks @HIS__Films

I did it on my own. In Hitfilm's Q&A, they very briefly described what to do,  however most of it I figured out myself.

A lot of the techniques I probably learned from other tutorials, but as far as I know, there is no "How to create a Marvel style intro in Hitfilm" video. (But maybe I will make one eventually if anyone is interested) 

• You should make a tutorial of this, then show it to HitFilm! Maybe they will give you something?

• Thanks @HIS__Films and @tddavis

The project is a bit "messy" at the moment, so I will refine it a bit before making a tutorial. Glad you're both interested. 

Yeah, good Marvel logo. The only thing 'wrong' with it is you listened to Kirstie and Oli's mistake. The images in the Marvel logo don't flip off, they flip ON. 

It's like riffing the pages of a book and having them falling on top each other. 

Two more notes about the Marvel Logo--optionally, instead of sliding images in/out, move the anchor point to the tops of the images, make them all 3D, then rotate them all in on the X-axis. 

Of course Hitfilm's halftone effects can get that comic page look. 

Speaking of tutorials this would probably be shorter/easier than AT-AT rigging. 

• Thanks for the tips @Triem23 ;

This is still a somewhat early version, and I did realize that the pages go the wrong way... I will try what you said. And this probably would be better for my first tutorial. 

• Wow, I didn't know about the halftone effect. I will have to play around with that and see what I can do. It seems to look good with the cartoon effect...

It does! 

Here's my own "Marvel" intro, although I was doing the 2006-2009 version. 

https://youtu.be/grfIT5hF6Xo

• @Triem23 nice. I like how you re-used music from the first Iron Man film. That's more than can be said for Marvel themselves

@JMcAllister - Well, since it was the "Iron Man" style intro I was recreating... I just used a Youtube rip of that intro and built over it. ;-) Gave me the right music, and it gave me something to look at to see how many frames they took to bring in each new image.

• @ZCC_Productions and @Triem23

I might have a legit theory on this one, I'll let my head do its thing and get back to you, If I have it right the comic strips will cover the 3D text from the sides.

Also nice work on the test videos!

• Thanks @NXVisualStudio , if you could figure that out it would be great!

@NxVisualStudio are you playing with environment mapping, Caustics or both? Or neither? 

• @ZZC_Productions Wow, really impressive seeing the AT-AT animation you managed to create! :O Must have taken a lot of time and patience but it's really paid off.

Also, the Marvel intro you've made is brilliant! :D

@Triem23 You're totally right! I definitely got it the wrong way round in the Q&A!...oops

@OliThompson happens to us all, sir. :-) 

• Has anyone happened to figure out a way to have the pictures cover the 3D text from the sides yet? @Triem23 @NXVisualSudio ;

In the mean time, here is a TARDIS dematerialization effect using atomic particles with audio interaction. I used the wrong sound effect, but what do you think?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=euj9LPi8x9Y

• @ZCC_Productions  It's the Tardis!  How can you go wrong?   A little Tardis is always good.  Looks pretty cool.  Am I to understand the audio clips drives the particle animation without a ton of keyframing??  That's nifty in and of itself! I never even would have noticed you using the wrong sound if you hadn't mentioned it.

• edited April 2017

Thanks @tddavis ;

Yes, the TARDIS audio drives the particle motion.

• A few questions about text and 3D extrusion:

- How can I make images wrap onto the sides of the 3D extrusion, like in the Marvel Intro?

-  How can I give the 3D text layer and extrusion a metallic look, like seen in some of the  Doctor Who intros? (I know how to do the texture, but not the reflective metallic material look)

Any help would be greatly appreciated!