Large JPG import crash

Hi,

I am having trouble using a large JPG file (48MB). When I drag it to the timeline for a composite shot HitFilm crashes.

If I reduce the image size it works fine but I need it very large for a zoom effect. I can’t see any limitation on JPG file sizes in the online documentation.

I also tried importing the image as a PNG (even larger file size) and again HitFilm crashed.

Can anyone give me any pointers?

Comments

• AdyAdy Staff

T0NZ1883 - Sorry you are having trouble with the software. I don't see any error reports from your account, did you send one to us?

Could you additionally supply some information about your system & maybe upload the file somewhere so we could take a look please?

CPU:
    RAM:
    GPU:

Thanks,
    Ady

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator
    edited June 2016

As a side note, I believe that images larger than about 4000px across are downsampled to 4k. @Ady is this still correct for Hitfilm 4? (4160x3112 to be exact) 

T0nz for the moment, let's assume I am correct. In this case, what I have done is clipped 4000x3000 segments from the larger image then spaced them out as a mosaic in my comp, then parented everything to a point. 

Again, I am not 100% if this is the case in Hitfilm4, but it's the workaround I've used in HF2 and 3.

How large is your source image? Largest I have personally gone is 8k x 4k.

• Hi Ady,

Sorry should have included specs in my opening post.

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K CPU @ 4.00Ghz
    RAM: 16.0GB
    GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti

I did send the error report previously but not with my details. I  have now reproduced the issue and sent the report.

Triem23 Thanks for the information and it's something I'll look into if I can't get it working (although I'm fairly new to HitFilm and I'm not sure how to parent to a point). The JPG is a whopping 21506 x 12098!

• edited June 2016

Actually with the downsampling I don't think this is going to work in any case. t's a bit disappointing and looks like I'll have to attempt to segment the image.

• How does HitFilm caching work anyway? If it's anything like Photoshop, then could the lack of RAM crash the program?

@T0NZ1883 - Here's a tutorial you may find useful on the subject: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esP4VxMyG3s

edited June 2016

Wow! 300 megapixel image! 

Yeah, you'll have to break that up. 

I'll assume Kevin linked a good tutorial, but I'm more text-oriented.

So... If you have Photoshop the segments are easy. You can reset the grid to 4000x3000 increments, turn on snapping, then set the marquee tool to a fixed 4000x3000 size. Drage the marquee, crop image, save as (do PNG. DON'T recompress to JPEG), undo, reposition marquee, save as, repeat. Yes, some segments end up as long strips. (maybe slightly downsample in the paint program? Shrinking from 12098 tall to 12000 tall won't loose much data, but will take six segments out of the final image. Or, go ahead and make 4000x3100 segments. Either way.) 

In Hitfilm you can drag in all your images from the file browser. Now, here's the tricky bit. In Express your max Composite Shot size is 1920x1080. In Pro it's 4160x3112. This means you can't see your entire image at once at 100% zoom... So, this is why I recommend 4000x3000. Nice round number. In the Transform properties for each image you're going to need to change the position of each layer. 

Let's back up. In your paint program, shrink your image down to 10% put a 400x300 grid over everything and grab your text tool. Find the segment closest to center and label it 0,0. The segment to the left is - 4000, 0. Above is 0, 3000. Right is 4000, 0. Below is 0, -3000. Up left is -4000, 3000, etc. Keep filling in the values for each segment. Also, label each segment with it's file name. Save this reference image out, bring it into Hitfilm and put it on top of the other layers. Or, draw a crappy grid on a sheet of paper and fill in the values. 

Now, in Hitfilm, go into the Transform properties for each segment and enter the position value for each segment. 

Create a new point layer. Click your top segment layer,then Shift+click the bottom layer. Then, to the right side of each layer's name is a dropdown that says "None" use this to select your point layer. 

Everything is parented. 

Now, to do your zoom, you change the scale of the point! 

Change the scale of your point to about 8%. You should see your entire mosaic on-screen. 

Now, chances are the mosaic isn't centered. Let's fix this. Drag the point around until your mosaic is centered on screen and create a new point. Change the scale of this new point to match the first point. Reselect all your segment layers and reparent to this second point. You can delete your first point and reference image now. Save your hard work. 

I am assuming you want to scale around the center of your image. If you're zooming in to something off-center then modify these steps so that the focal point of the zoom is centered before creating the second point. 

Either way, once this is done you animate by changing position, rotation and scale of the point. The will keep all your segments aligned. 

Finally, once you're done animating, upload the project here so we can see it! 

Last note. Are you in Express or Pro? Express might down sample images to 1920x1080... In which case you have to do 1920x1080 segments. Maybe do a quick test with only two segments first. If you save a 4k x 3k segment and do the offset then parent and shrink and the alignment is off that proves you need to do 1920x1080 segments. Since you'd need 24 segments for a 21k x 12k+ image you really do want to do a two segment test before committing. 

• Aladdin4dAladdin4d Moderator

@Triem23 Is there a reason not to use the Slice tool in Photoshop? Just asking to see if I'm missing something because I would select the slice tool, right click the image and choose Divide Slices, set the number of slices then Save for Web choosing images only, background image, all slices and PNG.

Actually I lied I'd probably use the Gimp Guillotine  but if I was going to use Photoshop........

@Aladdin4d I've never used the Slice tool. That sounds a lot easier. 

• Aladdin4dAladdin4d Moderator

@Triem23 It should be but I figured you knew something I didn't and it shouldn't be done that way ;)

Nah, the Slice tool was really put in for tiling backgrounds back in dial-up days. I didn't do web stuff then, so it's a tool I just forgot about. 

The only disadvantage I can see to the slice tool is it will make even slices, I think. This will give strange numbers for slice dimensions.  He'll need six slices across, assuming 4k media works. (21506/6=3584.333) Since the Marquee tool can be set to a specific dimension I thought a nice round 4000 would make the stitching in Hitfilm easier. Plus I worry that a fractional pixel will be dropped? Or it has to stagger, adding a pixel every three slices. Now the segments are uneven... Can the slice tool split on a specific size? Let me open photoshop and look. 

Now, if the OP doesn't have Photoshop then certainly GIMP GUILLOTINE is the way to go. Free! 

I have confirmation from Cedric on staff that the max size for media is 4160x 3112. Go for 4000x3000 slices.