THE HITFILM WISHLIST: What Features Do You Want?

Comments

• @AxelWilkinson This feature is still not documented. Ctrl modifier for a drag and copy. "Refining your edit" is the topic these modifiers are documented that I can see and it (Ctrl) is not there.

• ...and while my brain is on this, I'll repeat a previous similar request.

Allow Ctrl+Drag on transitions on the NLE timeline. Action is the same as Ctrl+Drag of a clip. Copy the transition and then let me drop the copy somewhere suitable.

• CNKCNK
    edited March 15

@NormanPCN said

"Since the zoom slider control has more zoom levels/positions on the zoom curve, then the 20 levels the mouse wheel offers is kinda limiting with the current zoom curve being used."

My suggestion as a more convenient workaround is you add a additional shortcut for the 33 increment zoom accessible only when scrolling on the slider. 

Perhaps not true for you, but i work using a draw tablet (huion h610) and i utilize the hard and soft keys, so i only use the keyboard for typing and nothing else. Zooming with a tablet with 20 steps is kind of nuts. Its manageble with 33 but its not great and it could be better.

Having this extra shortcut should in theory be super fast to implement as a workaround until the steps are increased. It certainly would be more convenient for the time being.

Suggestion: Add an additional zoom shortcut for the existing 33 steps. Currently theres only a shortcut for 20 steps ((CTRL + -)CTRL MW UP/DW).

• @NormanPCN @CNK I think improving the timeline zoom is something we've looked at internally and should hopefully have fixed in a future release.

• I understand that .GIF importing is already on the list, but I was wondering if there was any particular reason it hasn't been implemented yet? I don't mean to sound demanding or rude at all, and I don't know anything about the source code or what language HitFilm is based on, but the execution of it doesn't seem all that difficult, at least in concept. If there is no exact reason why, I can completely understand. Either way, cheers for making a great program.

• At this point I personally feel fine with the features in Hitfilm and feel there should be an update that mainly focuses on performance. But 3 things I want specifically is 1. the playback not stop even if all I'm doing is increasing my desktop audio. I say this because I know the main reason it isn't implemented is due to "performance issues". Second is an option for background rendering. That should be pretty self explanatory. Something like that Final Cut has. And lastly/third an option to automatically transcode imported footage to either quicktime, dnxhr, etc. 

I'm pretty sure a lot of people will disagree with me but this is from my experience of using hitfilm as 90% editor and 10% compositor on a laptop. 

• @pokeprsn

I think the main reason .gif import hasn’t been added is because I don’t think there is much of a demand for it, even though it does come up from time to time.

The other issue is that .gifs aren’t exactly videos, but they aren’t exactly photos either. A GIF importer would have to figure out how to deal with the strange .gif  framerates and how to synchronize them to HitFilm’s frame-based time clock without them changing speed, among other things. Would it be incredibly difficult to implement? Probably not, but it’s not as simple as flipping a switch either. It still takes time, manpower, and (most importantly) money to develop. 

At the end of the day, the more people who want it, the more likely they are to implement it. For now, if you really want to use .gifs, use a .gif to .mp4 converter or something similar.

• edited March 17

Hitfilm needs the ability to import vector assets...  This is crucial especially when you are working with team members that are not using Hitfilm.     I will be willing to pay more for Hitfilm pro if its a licensing issue. 

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator

@Andersen01498 while limited, I do note the Boris 3D unit should import eps and ai vectors. Direct support would be nice (svg, anyone?), but there is an option for some use. 

• @Triem23 Yeah I know about the Boris 3D unit so why cant Hitfilm Pro do it directly?  

• Support For Blackmagic RAW and maybe Canon RAW Light. And make the Hitfilm editor as powerful as Premiere Pro.

• @BedRockProductions ;

“Make the Hitfilm editor as powerful as Premiere Pro” really isn’t helpful. What specifically are you missing from Premiere that you would like implemented into HitFilm?

• CNKCNK
    edited March 22

I also want to point out that Premiere Pro crashes far more often than HitFilm regardless what's under the hood in terms of optimisation. When it works, it's good. But it's incredibly buggy and those devs do almost nothing to correct this, they just sit by and enjoy the monopoly. I've used Adobe since CS3...

HitFilm needs improvements in editing and also more convenience like better zoom. Overall though, HitFilm is far beyond Premiere because it doesn't do visual effects at all in a layer based timeline. You need After Effects for that, which adds another $30 on your MONTHLY bill, yes, those 2 programs ALONE are $60/month, or $40 with a 2 program bundle. The value just isn't there, and it's not industry standard, at least not in Sweden. In my 'past life' as involved in live TV and features, nobody used anything adobe what so ever, it was nuke and davinci, mac people used final cut. Sony Vegas also wasn't used much in this setting but in any case, obviously not in any way a scientific comparison.

The HitFilm devs are known to implement features wanted by our community, but their dev team is small, their marketing team fairly average, and most importantly, they just don't have the time and money to consistently work like say Black Magic, which is usually my comparison since people think HitFilm are on that level - it's not, just 200 devs short.

• Having nested timelines would be a nice feature to have....

• +1 for markers. They are really important for syncing video cuts and effects with music and sound!

• Sometimes I have a problem using Hitfilm Express, as my timeline is always full of different files it's a big deal when you want to exclude one of these because you can't find where at the timeline that file is in use. The software just shows you a random message about it being in use but not the exact location of it, this way you need to spend too much time checking each second of the timeline to find it.

There is any chance to have this feature in the next release ?

*Sorry for the broken English

• @Onsly Unless they’ve already implemented something like that before you asked, the feature you asked for will almost certainly not happen in the next release. Devs usually plan out the features they want to release for each version well in advance (sometimes a year or more in advance). HitFilm 15 is deep into development. The features they want to add are likely locked down and being worked on right now. Then they have to do loads of bug testing to make sure it all works. Even if they took your idea to heart, you wouldn’t see it till v16 at the absolute earliest and it could very well not show up till v17 or higher.

Not saying it’s a bad idea, just trying to temper your expectations!

• edited March 24

+1 for "Convert multiple editor shots into a single comp. (TheDigitalMedia)"

But what I'd like even more is:

- Convert a piece of the timeline into a comp shot (including all the layers in that time range).

- Allow copy-paste from editor timeline into a comp shot.

- Have comp shots support transitions (maybe by converting them into keyframes?).

Or really just anything that would make adding a custom transition less tedious. right now in order to not mess up your timing you need to: cut the video clips and audio in ALL layers before and after the transition time, add each one into the comp shot by exporting it or making its own comp shot, Create the transition, remove all other cut clips from the timeline.

Just seems like a lot of work for something that is supposed to be parallel to dragging a transition effect into the timeline.

• @animangovideo I'm sure someone will be quick to correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe transitions are in the composite timeline because that is not the purpose of the composite. It's designed for comping a shot, not multiple shots.

• @TheBenNorris but the only way (i know of) to make a custom transition is by using a composite shot of at list 2 shots.

• @animangovideo I'll reply on your other thread to keep the discussion out of the wishlist for now.

• I would need an audacity effect which opens audacity with the chosen audio. The audio effects of Hitfilm are very limited. 

And expressions like in After Effects

• Firstly, really enjoying HitFilm!

I think a game changer for animators would be if there was a time remapping feature. Being able to remap the specific images in an image sequence would make this so perfect for non-vector 2d-animation compositing. And also for cutout animation, being able to change assets (mouth shapes etc.) using this same technique.

• Hi,

In Media properties panel and in Media list in Media panel, it would be nice to add File date, just after file name for example. (or anywhere but without increasing height display file in Media list.
    By now, you are not able to say when the files/videos has been created.

Another thing which would be good is to get the possibility to sort Media (in Media list) by date.
    Ok, most of the time sorting them by name is ok if you have only one camera.
    If you have 2 cameras, sorting them by name is useless.
    Better choice is a sorting by created date.

• I want to be able to select clip at playhead

• Hitfilm Express user:
    1. More refined zooming in on timeline.
    2. Not to pause if I click somewhere else or chance volume 
    3. Multiple timelines in one project

• Adding Effects to 3D unrolled layers.

I've just read a discussion explaining why it's actually impossible, but I hope it is possible to figure out a way to make it possible.

I also know the depth layer workaround, but if you're working with loads of particle systems (e.g. atmospherical dust), it's kind of impossible because everything is interacting

• Display (and edit) Speed/Duration clip in 'Control' tab under 'Clip Properties' section.

When a Speed/Duration is applied (right clic on a clic on Timeline and then Speed/Duration choice) there is no way to see quickly speed applied at various clips!! (Except to check it with right clic and then choose 'Speed/duration')

Would be nice to add, this speed information in 'Control' tab under 'Clip Properties' when a clip is selected in Timeline. Quite usefull when you mostly have timelapses clips in timeline.
    By this way you can check easily applied speed on each clip.

A good thing would be also to edit this Speed/Duration in 'Control' tab under 'Clip Properties' section.

• edited April 3

I would appreciate the option to import MKV videos. I the format OBS so I don't lose footage if there's a crash.

• edited April 6

+ 1 To customizable timecode effect - it would be great to change the font, its size (not scale) and text alignment... it will also be great if the effect could turn its plane background to transparent, with no need to use blending modes.

+1 to the 2D grids, guidelines and snapping to them - not only for layers but for masks as well