THE HITFILM WISHLIST: What Features Do You Want?

Comments

• "You want things quick not adding an effect that you will later be getting rid of.  "

+1 The need to add and dig down to remove is silly. Can you do it. Yes. Would you want to.

Some kind of viewer option/overlay grid for 2D would be nice. Some obvious choices are title/action safe and some selection of grid densities.

On the talk of the grid effect. That effect should have some presets. All it has is "block".

I know the effects list has some presets using the grid effect but those should be in the preset list of grid itself. I presume when effects were allowed to have 'internal' presets that it fell through the cracks that these were not copied/included in the grid effect preset list. On that note, the grid effect should have some other common grids as presets. 2x2, 3x3, etc. These may need to be resolution specific like the title safe effects list presets. If true, and likely is, such a situation illustrates additional complications of using the grid effect for resolution independent concepts like title safe, or 3x3 grids.

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator

@Andersen01498 would you rather have a workaround for now or no workaround for now? Grids in the viewer would be better, but, for now you have to build your own. At least by saving a preset you don't have to keep rebuilding it. 

• @Triem23 is right that there is already presets in the presets section of the effects panel that provide different title safe effects already laid out @Andersen01498. At the very least, it provides you with a solution for now.

• @Triem23 I hadn't thought about using it as a preset, that's a good idea in the meantime! I would like it to be something I can toggle and leave on all the time though, like title safe (Mentioned by Andersen, thanks!) and mouse co-ordinates (which HitFilm does have and I use it quite a bit for this same reason). I do use the layout panel a lot, although I think it needs to be able to smart-sense and space items that are  different sizes equal distances apart, I.E. I often have several different words on different text layers, but it can only space them on one edge or their centers.

I think I've said this before, but a built in timer that automatically logs how long you've spent with a project open, like Final Fantasy (video game) used to. It would be extremely useful in billing clients, as I wouldn't have to remember to time myself.

And this brings up again, grade layers on the timeline would be amazing.

God bless! - Winter!

• Also, It would be cool to have a "select all in and out" function on the timeline, where you could set an in and out point, select everything between them, and move them without having to scroll up and down separately on the audio and video tracks if you have a lot of layers. Similar to the "range selector" tool in FCPX

• Oh snap + 1 to that @HillsideMedia ,

That would be very useful. I'm trimming the length of my Comp timelines frequently. :) 

• @spydurhank ; After Effects has that function too and I would love to see an option where you can crop to work area just in case if you have made your comp too big.  

• Better tooling for Audio, including VST Support and the ability to use external audio editors (like WaveLab or Sound Forge).

Until then, I only use it for motion graphics (usually standalone stuff, or creating "templates" for friends).

Getting timelines in/out of the application is also not practical unless you use VEGAS Pro, which I have no urge to start doing again - ever.

• This has probably already been suggested, but no way I'm searching this entire thread.

I just would like for Text properties to be keyframable, that's all.

• It would be nice to have an option where we can open with Hitfilm and instantly start working without the splash screen and set up settings.   I do very short screen recordings and edit them down to show my clients what I'm doing and I need something efficient.  

• +1 to andsersen's idea there, having the splash screen every single time is rather cumbersome for me personally. 

i also would love to see the ability to customize the colors of each ui element in HitFilm Pro, similar to the ui settings in Blender. this would make it so people could make high contrast themes if they're colourblind (like me) // and would just generally be pretty simple to implement imo. this could be under "interface", similar to where the light/dark theme setting is in Express right now.  

• Team FXHome - @Tag user forum issue becoming just a tad bit annoying. The erroneous semicolon being placed after the user name is breaking the notification. Something has changed in the forum code. Are you using a Plug-in to tag users or is it a Vanilla base function?  Has the code been compromised or changed in the past 6 months? I'd like to help assists in finding the gremlin. 

• Team FXome- This forum needs the ability to automatically place pictures here instead of finding a place to upload our pics and get the link.  Links are asking for trouble here.  Having this ability will keep this forum a much safer/less spam environment for everyone.  

• edited February 10

+1 on that. I use postimages.org, which is free and without limits. Postimage even has plugins for website forums but apparently none for Vanilla.

Postimage has a Windows tray utility which makes it super easy. I hit printscreen, select the area I want to capture, they upload and then give me a link I can use with the Hitfilm forum. If I did not have something simple like this image host ability I don't think I would bother posting an image. It is not my duty/business to manage online storage for the FxHome forum. 

• @GrayMotion @Andersen01498 @NormanPCN improving the forum is something we are actively working towards and something I've mentioned a few times in the past. Substantial improvements are hopefully coming, but we are not sure when, since most of our attention is focused on our software.

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator

it would be a great feature. if i could hide entire window while rendering process is running. because it certainly drain at least 20% of the total load used by hitfilm over cpu the entire process

a button that kill the Qt web view and just leave a green completable bar and a stop button + a window restore button. so far from the charge of the workspace being showed with he rendering panel both same time as far as possible...

i am developer by the way

• For those who solely use the forum, users on the subreddit have requested:

- Multi-point gradient in HitFilm

- An improved time-code effect

• It was already mentioned, "Fast Start" checkbox for MP4. I have to reencode each exported video in handbrake...

• edited February 26

Hitfilm was till recent my daily driver. But because i recorded my mic seperate from my ingame sound it would be nice to import videos whith multiple audio tracks. Now i have to drag them all seperatly, then delete 1 video. This works except with composite shot because i cant link a audio line to another videofile.

So my question is: please insert multiple audiotracks and make it possible to link different files to eachother so you it is easier to paste (spoken)text in compositshot

• edited February 27

With the recent spate of forum threads on export duration issues, I'll post here that I think it would be better that Export default to timeline contents rather than the In/Out duration.

The timeline defaults to 5 minutes, the in/out defaults to the timeline full range. If one does not change the in/out then that is what the default export gives someone regardless of their project duration. I don't think that makes sense to most people. It is not uncommon to never touch the in/out range. If one wants to export a subsection of their timeline I think most would think I need to do some special option/setting/difference in export. Just plain old, Export, is more intuitive for my whole timeline.

•  I'll 1+  @NormanPCN ; in spite of using this software for several years I still find myself making this mistake and wondering why my 30 sec project takes several times as long as it should to export.

• Another +1 for using “Export Contents” as default, or giving two quick-export buttons on the main screen... in-out and contents

• While my brain is on the implemented feature whose default seems odd/wrong for real world use track, I'll repeat some previous comments.

--

Playback pause quality modes. I absolutely love the ability to get a beautiful paused view quality (everything on, including motion blur). But then Hitfilm stabs me in the eye with restrictions that always use the paused quality setting when it should use the playback setting. Thus making me turn all that paused beauty off. In other words, the play/paused quality tradeoff feature becomes effectively useless.

• RAM preview should have a preference for play/paused mode use. RAM preview is a complete and total waste of a users time. It is a workaround for the fact VFX often too compute intensive for typical hardware and real time playback. It would be excellent to have ram previews build as fast as possible and yet still have the lovely(slow) paused quality. Less time wasted waiting for a ram preview to finish computing. I get why people could want paused/full quality ram previews. Thus one can have a preference.
    • Scrubbing should trigger playback quality and not paused quality. How is scrubbing not playback? Who does not want scrubbing to be as fast as possible?
    • New feature for play/paused. Have adjustment (dragging) of any property in a layer (controls panel) trigger the viewer to the play quality mode/setting during a drag operation. With this we get more responsive viewer updates while dragging an effect property. Resolve/Fusion has something like this and it is very nice.

---

While I am at it, I will reiterate the following old somewhat related comment.

While on the subject of quality. What the heck is antialised (AA) doing on the resolution menu. AA is not a resolution. Especially as HF only does MSAA. It is a visual quality choice and should be an option among the visual quality options now offered in HF6.

Okay prior to HF6, Hitfilm did not have quality options but HF wanted to offer AA for use during edit. Putting it on the resolution menu made some sense given the features offered at the time. IMO, Now with the quality options in HF6 it makes little sense where it is. Just because previous versions did it a certain way does not make it "right" going forward given the new feature offered.

Moving it could also allow AA in Half (any) resolution. This can be useful when you must use Half rez for better playback. Yes, AA adds overhead and reduces performance some amount. That said, Half+AA, especially at 4x, can perform better than Full with no AA, and it can look better. **3D models will look better with AA at half rez.** They get really jaggy at 960x540 (half 1080). Text (layer/clip) would look better as well.

It seems, the whole idea of this HF6 play/paused quality feature it to give us users the flexibility to balance quality with playback performance. So why then stab us in the eye by removing the flexibility for us to find a sweat spot compromise (visual<->performance) for our specific projects and hardware.

• The ability to edit Blackmagic RAW natively would be really cool (If the software doesn't already do that). If not, some integration like HitFilm is currently doing with Vegas might be a good idea. I know pro workflow would combine the 2, but if that was the case, Resolve came free with the camera and does pretty much everything I would need. I would much rather stick with HitFilm Pro if I could.

I would also love to see a color grading episode from Ryan Connolly using only the tools in HitFilm, if the opportunity for a collab comes again!

Finally, this is really basic but it is honestly one of the top 2 features that have made me think about switching, and it has put me in a jam several times so I will mention it again. I really need to be able to adjust stereo, mono, multiple audio tracks on one file, etc. We do not always have control of the circumstances of filming, and literally every editor should have the ability to adjust at least stereo to dual mono and delete L/R. It has cost me some significant time even knowing about workarounds.

I always appreciate the development that does into this program! I have had access to both Adobe CC and the full Resolve for a while now but I love the way this app operates and the continual updates. I am hoping that some more updates specifically towards editing will be included to round the program out a bit more. thank you! God Bless! - Winter!

• Composite shot ideas!

It would be good if composite shots could be selected in the Media panel and viewed/edit in the trimmer just like a normal clip. It would help when your workflow (like mine) is to get all of your selects or clips straight out of the trimmer to keep the timeline tidy.

It would also be good if composite shots had a few less limitations;

1. Less restrictions on moving things in/out of composite shots. In my workflow for green screen work, I often need to make a composite shot out of a composite shot that is already on the timeline. Also, the new amazing text tools would be even better if we could make a composite shot out of a text layer. I am sure this particular thing is way more complicated to pull off than I would think.

2. The ability to export a composite shot AS a composite shot, not a project, even if it has pre-comps in it. This would really blow the lid off of some template possibilities, and re-using composite shots in new projects, but with the ability to customize everything. Not sure if templates have the same issue, but if they do, same thing!

3. The ability to comp multiple clips off the timeline, automatically creating layers (So if you're working on the timeline, and decide something needed to be a composite shot you can just do that. Depending on how this was done, you could even handle nesting clips this way, and just make them layers in a comp  instead of an extra hidden timeline.

Thanks! God Bless! - Winter!

• A forum thread prompted me to post this gain.

--

Zoom scale curve. Way too fast initially and then super slow at the end (zoomed in). Vegas has the best zoom but let's not go that far. Resolve has a very very similar zoom function to Hitfilm, but is way easier to use since it does not have this crazy scale curve.

Zoom points 5 minute timeline. 5:0;0, 2:09;0, 47;19, 23;12, 15;18, 9;04, 7;28, 6;13, 5;18, 3;06, 2;21, 2;10, 2;02, 1;26, 1;21, 1;17, 1;15, 1;13, 1;11, 1;10. Bottom of the scale is a one frame change. Mid(!) scale, 11 frames. Half the zoom levels a couple of seconds view and smaller. Woof. Not useful. Dragging the zoom slider has more levels but is still too fast/jumpy at the low end of the scale due to the curve slope.

Suggestions.

Change the curve to something linear. At least much more linear.

Don't waste so many zoom levels from 5 seconds down. Having half the zoom scales below a 5 second view does not make sense. I think we users understand that when zoomed in a lot we know are going to be doing a bunch of to timeline scrolling due to being zoomed in so much. We need more zoom scale points/stops at the longer end so we can get a good view without the need to frequently scroll. Also, short clips don't show well at outer zoom scales.

If we are zoomed way in we expect to be doing some timeline scrolling due to the short time range. What we need are more zoom levels at the opposite end so we can get a reasonable timeline view and not need to scroll the timeline.

Since the zoom slider control has more zoom levels/positions on the zoom curve, then the 20 levels the mouse wheel offers is kinda limiting with the current zoom curve being used. It is quite easy/fast to spin that scroll wheel. So having more increments to the wheel does not seem problematic. A better/no curve scale is far more important.

New Feature. Have a zoom to fit feature. e.g. Timeline scaled and scrolled such that the in/out points fill the available timeline view as best as possible. If/when HF has timeline marker regions, then we can select a region and do a zoom to fit on the region duration. Quick and easy.

• A few questions/ ideas for future updates:

- will there be grade layers for the editor timeline?

- will there be the possibility to create multiple editor timelines (like nested sequences in Premiere Pro)?

- will there be a "drag and copy" - tool for the timeline?

- will the 3D-Camera-Tracker be released as an Express-Addon?

- will Express support Third Party Plugins (VideoCopilot)?

- change of a comp length to its contents with just one (or two) clicks, without having to adjust the comp lengt       manually

- the audio waveform is not loading when playing the timeline and getting into a new area that has to be loaded again (see my latest support request)

• TheBenNorrisTheBenNorris Staff
    edited March 9

@SliceLetsPlay A lot of these are things that come up a lot, so we are looking at them for the future. I will trust support to deal with your bottom point, but as for the "drag and copy" tool, if you hold shift control whilst dragging that should copy your selection.

• "...if you hold shift whilst dragging that should copy your selection."

I believe the proper modifier key is the Control (Ctrl) key. At least for me that is the key for a drag and copy.

• @NormanPCN ah yes, you're correct. I'll update my comment.