THE HITFILM WISHLIST: What Features Do You Want?

Comments

• FXhomeBenNorris  "...Workspaces feature under the "View" menu"

Doh!

• Separate temporal interpolation for in/out. It seems to me you can't set a "smooth in" to a keyframe in conjunction with a "constant out", unless I'm missing something. This is something I commonly use in other animation programs - ease motion into a keyframe then hold to a stepped jump, or some radically different output motion.

• Monitor editor timeline audio in Comp.

I'm trying to do a music video so I'm animating everything to sync to a single audio track in the editor.  I can't find any way to monitor the main audio from the editor when working on comp shots, which is driving me crazy. I'm having to switch back to the editor, measure the relative time into the comp before the next beat I want to hit then set my keys to that time in the comp. I've got edits every 1/2 second so this is taking a l...o...n....g time. 

• edited September 9

@AndyQ you can use a « smooth in » key frame, copy it to the next frame and set the copy to constant.

+1 for more audio functionalities. For all music videos or anything related to audio syncing, it would be greaaaat to be able to play audio and put markers on the fly... composite shots could have a time offset to keep a reference to their position in the editor, so the markers you create in the editor would appear in all the composite shots. Would really help...

• Deweak  @AndyQ you can use a « smooth in » key frame, copy it to the next frame and set the copy to constant.

That's two keyframes taken to do the job of one ja? 1/30th of a second is a long time for many organisms...

•  I know I sound like a broken record because I've brought it up before, but the two features I'd like to see above everything else is the ability to import xml/aaf and some sort of collaborative feature.

• I’d like for there to be a way to show all the key frames stacked together as you can with the U-key in after effects. This feature makes it very easy to adjust the timing of different elements that are dependent on the timing of other elements.

• WardedFilms "I’d like for there to be a way to show all the key frames stacked together as you can with the U-key in after effects. This feature makes it very easy to adjust the timing of different elements that are dependent on the timing of other elements."

Defs totes...

• 1) Preview (RAM preview) in background please. If I'm running a lengthy RAM preview on a Comp I'd like to be able to check my email or read the news whilst I'm waiting, not sit there scared to touch anything 'cos the preview render will stop.

2) if I RENAME a COMP then please show the new name in the editor timeline

3) separate in/out temporal interpolation curves for keyframes, so I can have a stepped ("constant") key on one side and a smooth key on the other, or any other combination. 

Thanks!

• +1 to all of that @AndyQ

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator

In response to @AndyQ ;

1) part of the reason RAM Preview stops when Hitfilm isn't the focus is that artists might be working in a file in a different program that affects a Hitfilm Project - perhaps I'm in a photo editor tweaking an image in my Hitfilm project. In this specific use example I might edit and save media in use in the RAM previewing project, which could crash Hitfilm. Personally, I think the devs have erred on the side of caution, and they may change the behavior in the future, so I'm just pointing out there's a specific logical reason for the current behavior. 

2) Name changes auto propagating is potentially problematic - especially now with publishing. For example, I often use multiple copies of a Composite Shot on a single timeline. Each of these duplicates is renamed according to function. Now I might change the name of a Comp after putting it into use, but I don't want Comp Shot name changes propagating. At least not in Composite Shot timelines. This is a bit of a lose/lose. No matter which behavior Hitfilm supports, a certain amount of users will want the other option. Now, manual rename of clips on the Edit Timeline would be a helpful feature!

3) Use Manual Bezier. That's why it's there. 

• "1) In this specific use example I might edit and save media in use in the RAM previewing project, which could crash Hitfilm."

It would seem to me that if Export can operate background in Hitfilm, then so can RAM preview. If you mess with a source media file while either of those functions are operating, then both functions will have the same issues. It is trivial for an app to stop someone from messing with a file while they are using it.

• I'd love the ability to reference/embed text like we can reference composites in other composites. I do a lot with titling, and will sometimes have multiple comps (using the same text (e.g. movie title) that, if I want to change it, I have to change it in each comp separately. It isn't a huge inconvenience, but it seems like something for which the pieces are there already.

An alternative would be to be able to restyle text in an embedded comp. What I mean is if I have a text layer in Comp B, in Comp A I'd love to drag in a copy of Comp B and change whether, for that instance/layer, it's filled or outlined, color, typeface, etc. Right now I'm recreating the opening title from He-Man and the Masters of the Universe and am working a lot with multiple copies of the same text but with different style settings.

Thanks for reading.

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator

@NormanPCN agreed, hence the "...devs have erred on the side of caution."

• It would be very cool if you add the Neon Path effect for Vegas Pro

• edited September 12

Could you add support for video clips with multiple audio tracks? say, an MP4 file with the video clip, but then it has two audio tracks connected with it. (OBS lets you save different audio sources to different tracks which I use so my game and microphone audio have separate controllable volume!) Thanks, and thanks for the best free editor ever!

• @JacobKK - support for files with multiple audio streams was added in HitFilm 13. When you import the file, you can choose which stream is imported with it. If you want both, import it twice, selecting a different stream each time.

• Triem23  1) part of the reason RAM Preview stops when Hitfilm isn't the focus is that artists might be working in a file in a different program that affects a Hitfilm Project...", "2) ..... I often use multiple copies of a Composite Shot on a single timeline. Each of these duplicates is renamed according to function......", "3) Use Manual Bezier. That's why it's there. "

Hi Triem23, addressing your 3 points:

1) I don't buy that explanation - files can be locked for overwriting, or cached copies can be used. Regardless of that, what's stopping me editing that same media from another machine over the network? As others have pointed out, if rendering can work as a background task (and "pre-rendering"), then why not RAM Preview?
    2) a composite is a single "object", so it should be able to have a name and you should be able to change that name. There's not much point in renaming something if every instance of it retains an older name. If you want the feature of renaming instances of an object then that should be separate data. e.g. each comp on an edit timeline can show "Composite Name: Instance Name". A Question though: I can't even figure out how to name an comp clip on the edit timeline! How do you do that?
    3) Again, don't agree with this, and neither do most other software developers, as I can't think of a keyframing app that doesn't let you set different preset in/out types. I also don't see how a "manual bezier" can drawn to create a stepped  ("constant") input or output, nor why I should have to fuss around drawing bezier curves even if they could be made to work when the whole point of preset curves is the speed of adding common easing/switching interpolations. 

Cheers!
  • edited September 23

"There's not much point in renaming something if every instance of it retains an older name."

Agreed. I would say no point.

Hitfilm could trivially ask if we want to propagate a name when we change the name in the media properties dialog. Choices for the user are always better.

• I would like to have some highlighting in the media panel that shows what has been used in the editor or comp and what hasn't. I was working on a project and brought in more assets than I needed. After I finished, I wanted to clean out the media panel of unused assets but it was hard to determine what was used and what wasn't. Now I noticed that when I tried to remove an asset that was being used, I received a message saying that it was currently in use. But it would be nice to have some kind of visual indicator.

• tomkane18 : "I would like to have some highlighting in the media panel that shows what has been used in the editor or comp"

Agreed, also perhaps a right-click menu option to "locate in timeline/comp" option as well (although it'd have to deal with multiple locations). As a model I might suggest Adobe Indesign, which lists a "Links" panel for linked media such as images, which may be used in multiple locations. It has a single media item name  but that is expandable to show list all the instances and what "pages" they're on.

• Vegas had such a feature. A right click context on a timeline item for something like, select in media panel is a reasonable way to go with that. Focus the media panel and scroll to make sure the item is in view.

The other way is a problem since Hitfilm has multiple timelines. Historically Vegas only had one timeline and a right click context menu to, select all timeline items associated with the media panel item, can work. With multiple timelines, maybe just a popup dialog with a list of timelines where the media panel item is used. Maybe allow a double click of one of those items would focus/open that timeline and select/highlight the timeline items associated with the media panel item.

In Vegas I have used the right click context menu thing going both ways.

A right click media panel item to simply delete all unused media items is a nice cleanup feature to have. I have used such a feature in Vegas.

•  Can we please have multiple timelines so we can have multiple versions that would help.  

2nd we need the ability to drag folders into the media panel because its a pain to open up the folder and shift select all the files we want.  

• 2x👍👍 for the ability to drag folders into the media panel.

• edited September 20

I really really love Hitfilm and the upgrades it's been getting, but I feel it still lacks some basic control. I keep popping over whenever there's a new version and it still isn't quite what I'd pay for.

• Keyframes: shortcut keys to reveal any/all set keyframes in a project or on a layer (like U in AE).
    • Keyframes: with the above shortcut key, please reveal ONLY the properties with set keyframes on them, so we don't have a full screen of attributes that we don't need.
    • Keyframes: on an already keyframed property, for example Opacity, if the last keyframe was at 100% and I'm at a new location in the timeline where i want to set 100% again, can I please be able to drag the Opacity value up and a new keyframe is automatically added, rather than dragging the value below 100% and then back up again to 100%.
    • Snapping: holding down Shift while dragging a layer/keyframe should cause it to snap to edges or other layers/keyframes
    • Parenting: connect a layer's individual properties to another layer's property so that the child property inherits directly from it's parent (a pickwhip style thingy would help tremendously)
    • Scripting: way to manipulate properties via script (and please don't create a "new" language for this, javascript/python should do fine)
    • Keyboard Shortcuts: create or allow us to make our own keyboard shortcuts AND save them as a preset, so we could easily port over from AE and share those presets with friends e.tc..
    • Keyboard Shortcuts: also shortcuts to access individual properties such as Scale, Opacity, Position....so we can get to them quicker without having to click through 25 items
    • Compositor: It took a little getting used to, "<" and ">" to scroll frame by frame - okay, but not having a "Shift + >" to skip 10 frames is unacceptable, 10 frames is a basic unit when compositing!
    • Editor: So I've just noticed after selecting 4 layers and dragging them to a new position, the layers get deselected!! meaning to move them again I have to start selecting them one-by-one! Please let the selected items only deselect when I say so (clicking elsewhere in the timeline).
    • Editor: While I'm playing the timeline, ANY click inside of Hitfilm will stop the playback, PLEASE PLEASE look into this, In the Compositor too

I'll keeping adding to this list and reposting the whole thing, some feature requests I think are basic necessities, I fail to see how new releases come out before these " minor tweaks" to an already amazing software aren't  implemented. (Like the last feature on my list)

• @CholaSimmons if you search the forum you will find a couple of your requested features are due to known bugs we are currently working on, most notably the selection issues in the editor which definitely should not be happening, and is a regression introduced in 13.

• This forum? thank you for your response.
    Could we maybe have a way to vote for feature requests on this site so that you guys can see our most desperate cries?
    Also, do you have a roadmap for the public to see? sorry if this is common knowledge here, there's like over 2,300 posts :P 

Magnificent piece of software though, can't wait for it to become what we all expect B-) 

• @CholaSimmons there is no doubt that this post has became a (78 page long) mess, and we are looking into ways to improve the way users can help us decide on upcoming features. We do not have a roadmap as far as I'm aware unfortunately.

• edited September 23

@TheBenNorris , There is a discussion over on the Ambassador/beta tester/moderator forum, specifically about @CholaSimmons last post. 

One of the guys on that thread actually mentioned a voting feature or poll being implemented for prioritizing feature requests and a few other things, this was a few months ago though and hasn't been mentioned again so far. but someone is at least thinking about it. :)

I would personally vote for dropping everything and prioritize on getting better gpu performance and especially multi gpu support for when I want to put an insane 3D scene together. :)

@CholaSimmons , Anyone can currently write/script OFX type plugins for Hitfilm although I admit to having no knowledge on ofx plugins or using them. Also, if you know c++ and or python you can write plugins/addons for 3rd party 3D applications to create a bridge between your 3D app and Hitfilm. I've done this with Blender, Hitfilm Pro, Hitfilm Express and VEGAS POST, my method is universal and can be applied to any 3D app with the help of  an experienced programmer. 

• Please add the ability to actually select the waveform in the trimmer, its a lot more intuitive that way.  Just in general the editing capabilities in Hitfilm need changes.    Its way faster to edit in Premiere then in Hitfilm!!!