THE HITFILM WISHLIST: What Features Do You Want?

Comments

• @NormanPCN +1 on auto-scroll, though there was a recent complaint somewhere in the forum about the current auto-scroll feature in the Editor timeline when placing/moving items. Seems it's a bit too sensitive.

As for how to deal with the lack of scrolling now, I posted a workaround in another thread.  If you have a scroll wheel on your mouse, you can roll that while holding down the left mouse button, and the track list will scroll. No need to move and drop, scroll, move and drop, scroll, etc.

• Can't remember if I requested this already, so I'm doing it now.

I would LOVE the option of setting the value of certain time-centric effect properties -- things like the time offset properties in Clone, Echo, and Time Displacement, just to name a few -- using actual time amounts, including frames.   These types of properties currently require a decimal-based value representing the number of seconds of offset, which makes no sense considering that navigation in the timeline is in seconds and frames, not decimal values.  If I want an offset to be 17 frames at 24fps, I would like the option of typing "0:17" instead of whipping out a calculator (app), doing the math, and hoping that entering 0.708 (rounded from 0.7083333333333333 because these fields only allow three decimal place precision) will do the job.

• @jsbarrett

When it comes to the visual effects side of things, I prefer to use frames in effects settings, etc. Since, I already know what frame rate the project is in. When going back to the Edit, I would like the choice to continue to work in frames or timecode. As a VFX artist, I prefer frames as it's more precise.

• I would love to see a "Framerate-workflow" more like it is in final cut.
    Examples: 
    1. I have my timeline set to 30fps, but one clip filmed in 120fps and i want to make it slow motion. If I add this clip to the timeline and make 'right-click' -> 'Speed/Duration' and change it to 25% it is not fluid. It seems like it uses a 30fps version of the original clip.

2. would be nice, if the duration of a clip changes, when changing the speed.

• edited July 17

"It seems like it uses a 30fps version of the original clip."

It seems like it, because that is what Hitfilm is doing.

Hitfilm is unique and castaway on an island here. It's more than just final cut.

"Seems it's a bit too sensitive."

Not the only thing a bit twitchy.

• Two things I desperately want:

1) An equivalent of ctrl-K from premiere.  Wherever the timeline cursor is at, hit ctrl-k and it will slice through ALL the clips in all the layers.  It gets so tedious constantly selecting the clip(s), switching to slice, actually *clicking* things, etc.  So many extra steps.  Move cursor, ctrl-k, done.  I want this more than anything - it drives me crazy not having it!

2) Ability to nudge a clip or audio in the timeline single frames at a time, to get things aligned perfectly.  I would use this all the time when synchronizing audio from an external device, but it's generally a nice feature to speed things up I feel

• @MaxxF 1 pretty much already exists- it's the "Slice Selected Objects/Layers" shortcut.

• @JavertValbarr That's what I've been using, but it still requires the extra step of selecting the various clips (which can include several extra clicks and scrolling depending on how the project is laid out).  It would be so much more useful, in my opinion and usage, to just have it slice regardless of what's selected or not selected especially since that's the behavior in Premiere and also in audio DAWs I've worked in.  I can certainly see why it might be good to slice only selected layers, but man it's super annoying!

• edited July 20

Being able to create SubClips for use with Proxies (Pre-Renders now) and general editing.  Selecting a chunk in the Viewer and right clicking and 'Create SubClip'  would be handy.

If you load in a large file, but only want to use a small section of it in the editor, it's inconvenient to have to Proxy (pre-Render) the whole thing for speed reasons. Being able to - even fairly roughly - cut out a chunk you're going to use and only worry about editing that would be much more efficient.

As an example: in Vegas you do this when stabilising a clip section to avoid stabilising the whole thing when you're not using it all.

It's also just useful to be able to cut up a longer clip into sections, even if you don't Proxy/Pre-Render it, as you can just separate out the useful bits, which then makes editing with them a lot more efficient.

You also then View and edit the Subclips further before using them on the Editing timeline.

Here's a video for a very old version of Vegas explaining how useful SubClips are.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mm25Q-Pvrc8

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator

@Palacono subclips are useful, agreed. 

Hitfilm workaround: since you trim the section you want as a subclip, convert it to a Composite Shot and Pre-render that! Yes, I know it's that extra step, and media bin folder management to keep things clean. Stil almost the exact functionality as sub clips. :) 

•  @Triem23 Oh rats. That means that's not going to happen. :)

There's a very good video here, which if you have 4+ hours to spare - or 2+ at x2 viewing speed - explains what you need to do to edit efficiently. Basically fewer steps to do everything. His analogy is it's like doing Speed Runs in video games: you need to do the absolute minimum to get the job done in the shortest possible time, so fewer steps should always be the goal to improve productivity.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6ERELse_QY

• Aside from all these features there is one that most of us really need....multi-user workflow where more than one person can work on a project at the same time through the internet or a Bluetooth connection.

• edited July 23

Markers in Hitfilm would have made my life much easier this morning

(Yeah I know I've requested it before, but I'm gonna keep requesting stuff every time I think "I wish Hitfilm had (x)" while working in Hitfilm)

• I'll pile on with the marker thing. Feels good to scratch an itch. At least while you are scratching, but then you pay for it later.

I'm not sure if I mentioned this in a previous marker request. Markers that can have names are way more useful than some faceless blob marker somewhere on a timeline. You have a marker sitting at 1:30. What does that marker mean? If the marker has a name then it is in your face obvious.

Example: (obligatory Vegas screenshot)

The above are Vegas regions (marker with a time range). In Resolve these are markers with a duration. Resolve markers are only halfway there. No names.

I know I have previously requested that if we have markers we should also have regions (markers with time duration). Accessory uses for regions beyond timeline documenting and snap points. Setting in/out range. Setting timeline zoom and position.

• To be able to quickly enable/disable audio layers in composite shots, in the same way that we can currently enable/disable every other type of layer.

(I'm pretty sure this has been suggested before as well)

• I have two requests:

1) In the "End Credits Crawl" effect, it would be really nice to be able to re-order the Elements. It's a nightmare to realize after the fact that you want the music credits to go before the sound effects, etc. 

2) The ability to use a 3D model as the source for the particle simulator effect. Right now, neat things can be done with the models in "3d plane" mode, but if you could use a 3d unrolled object, the possibilities would be limitless. Seriously, it would be awesome.

• edited July 29

im using pro 2017 and just discovered how useful filter command is inside composite shows. 

probably as ive only just seen someone use it in a video tutorial.

My request is thus.

You have an option highlighted. You type in the search say Op (opacity) and the highlighted option you had has gone.

Please leave the highlighted option and the search results together.

edit: found u can put multiple searches together but for speed and no loss of thought process my request is still valid. its just a wee little tweak.

• The forces in the particle simulator should have the ability to display a viewer transform widget like the emitter does. This for the center property on global forces. The particle sim layer transform widget is displayed when most properties are selected. The emitter transform widget is displayed if any property in the emitter shape group is selected. Similarly I would say the same would/could/should apply if any property in the force Shape group is selected. At least when the "center" property is selected.

It is really hard to adjust the position completely in the blind with just numbers. A viewer widget is useful. That is why they exist. So why not for forces as well.

Also, the force shape "center" property should allow attachment to a layer.

A point layer would of course give us a transform widget. Additionally we can select multiple layers/points and the viewer shows the transform widgets for each layer. This allows us to see and move those widgets in relation to each other, in the various ortho views, without guessing and/or trial and error.

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator

@NormanPCN ;

'Also, the force shape "center" property should allow attachment to a layer...'

Same with cubic Deflectors and an Emitter with a "Target" trajectory should be able to target a point.

Otherwise +1 everything Norman said and a repeat of a long-standing hope for spherical deflectors and forces. 

• ...and markers. 

• Take all my +1s. :)

• edited August 8

Multi camera Editing (like Premier) would be an awesome feature. (yes i know the workaround,                                                                                      but its a pain in the ......................... ).                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       fill in ^blank^to personal taste.

• Resolve has dynamic folders in the media pool. The ability to automatically fit media in to folders based on the file attributes. I found this very useful when merging media taken from two cameras, spread over several days.

I could have them all automatically go in to folders based on which day they were taken. Would love to see this in Hitfilm Express

• I would love some better functionality for color correction and LUTs (color LookUp Tables). As someone who does heavy color correction, I have a ton of luts saved on my hard drive. While hitfilm is a great set of products, I have seriously considered switching to the Adobe suite strictly for the color correction features. When you use a LUT in something like Premiere Pro, you have a ton of options to change the LUT's settings. When you use a LUT in hitfilm, at you're able to do is change the visibility of it, and even then that's only able to be done if you apply it to a grade layer. It would be great if hitfilm had some of the color correction and LUT capabilities that the Adobe suite has.

• A continuous timer option so that the text scrolls continuously and I don't have to do as much tedious keyframing

• edited August 15

A feature where text options (spacing, ect.), are able to be keyframed.

• @Coldamic

You have more options with DaVinci Resolve if its LUTs and color correction you're looking for. And DaVinci Resolve has a FREE version.

• @ToddGroves true, but that means I would have to learn an entire new software. I would love that option to be in Hitfilm 

• The ability to import folders themselves would be nice.

• Folder import would definitely be nice, especially if HitFilm would create a bin structure that matched the folder hierarchy.

And handled raw formats like CinemaDNG and RedCode elegantly; the folder containing the media should import as a clip for both.

And interchange import/export would be nice, especially AAF. :)