THE HITFILM WISHLIST: What Features Do You Want?

Comments

•  Thanks,  I'm still new to this. 

The space bar for play is not  working for me. 

• Support for layered exr buffers/aovs for 3d artists.

Maybe the 4th time is the charm unless it can be added in hitfilm 2017. :D

• While looking at the new Vectorscope feature I find it pretty hard to read the color limit values. They are just tiny little dots.

Consider the following where there is a target box, the box center being the legal limit and the color of the limit denoted by one or two letters at the box center.

I don't really use the Vectorscope. I have mostly just used the Waveform scope in the past but I thought I would mention this anyway.

• Something else to add to the collection is an update to the color management. Some of this might already be possible and if so, sweet... otherwise:

1) Being able to specify an output color space (e.g. Rec709, Rec2020, Dolby, etc -- being able to select a monitoring LUT would also be pretty sweet, especially once I get my system color calibrated finally ;) )

2) ACES support -- great for facilitating interchange between people and applications. 

• Can an option be added to the Depth Matte Effect to generate a matte from a different camera then the viewing camera? Or a different axis? e.g. to generate height maps for ground fog, murky water, etc.

• edited June 2017

I've been using HitFilm 4 express for about a month, and 2017 Pro for a few days. Here is my wishlist of things that I noticed while working on several short videos.

Audio tracks

• When using ctrl-click to add a keyframe on the volume bar, it should be easy to create it without also moving it unintentionally. So if the audio is currently at +0dB in the entire track, I should be able to ctrl-click to add a keyframe at +0dB. Today, that is nearly impossible, because ctrl-click will create a keyframe based on where the mouse click occurred.
    • When dragging a keyframe, add the ability to constrain it so that it can only move horizontally (to change the frame it affects) without adjusting it vertically.
    • Allow more than +12dB volume increase. Some of the lower quality footage I grab from my phone or GoPro is too quiet, and +12dB doesn't make it loud enough. Better recording is the real solution, but some footage can't be reshot.
    • When dragging the volume bar or a keyframe, a tooltip displaying the current value would be helpful.
    • I would love an option for the waveform peaks to be as tall as the track if they are hitting 0dB. Basically I want the RMS amplitude to use the full height instead of just half.
    • I would also like the waveform to show the effects of volume changes. If I increase the volume of part of an audio clip, I would waveform for that section to be taller.

Export Presets

• The only way to see the configuration of a built-in export preset is to make a copy and then attempt to edit it. I had to do that to figure out the difference between YouTube and Vimeo export presets[Implemented HitFilm 2017]

Editor

• RAM preview of portions of the editor timeline would be very helpful for previewing transitions.
    • Slow-motion - if I import 60fps video into a 30fps timeline, setting the speed to 50% should use all the frames. Since I usually only want to slow down a portion of a clip, the workaround is very cumbersome (slow down the desired portion of the clip on the timeline, duplicate the source clip and override the files fps setting, match up the slowed portion of the clip on the timeline with the fps-overridden file, replace the original video of the clip [optionally keeping the stretched audio])
    • Slow-motion - the trimmer does not work for media with overridden framerate. If a 60fps video is set to 30fps, the trimmer will say "could not play frame" for the last half of the video.
    • Markers - it would be nice to be able to add arbitrary markers to video/audio that the magnetic operations would snap to. For example, adding a marker to a tempo/key change in a music track. It would be more awesome if the markers would be magnetic toward each other. So, I could mark a beat in the music and mark an action in the middle of a clip, and then drag the video so that the action and the beat line up.

Media

• The orientation metadata of a video should be honored. Video taken on an iPhone, for example, will appear upside down when recorded with the volume button on top.
    • I would love an easy way to view the media panel large, with a quick way to restore it again. I can use the "float panel" option to pop it out and then resize it, but when I hit the dock button the panel doesn't re-dock where it started.
  • It would be useful to be able to generate particles from an imported 3D object's vertices, faces, UV texture (and modulate particle color from UV texture).

e.g. instancing trees, grass, rocks on a 3D terrain.

• +1 on

• the Ctrl+Click to create a volume bar, or opacity bar keyframe to not move the value. just create keyframe.
    • keyboard modifier to constrain bar keyframe movement. horiz and maybe vert.
    • tooltip during keyframe drag to know the value being set.
    • ram preview in editor
    • markers and regions on timeline. mostly NLE timeline.
  • Good  morning / afternoon / evening everyone!

It's my first post on the forum so firstly I'd like to thank you for this great piece of software!

1. When I select the layer I'd like to see an option to expand all the properties (position, orientation etc) that have keyframes enabled. It would come in handy when you have a few layers and want to sync their keyframes. I'm having problems finding this option/shortcut so it makes me think it's not yet implemented, hence my post!
    2. Option to see multiview (top/left/right/perspective/camera) on the second screen (currently I can only see the active camera view on the second screen). To that, it also would be nice to see the actual scene on the second screen, when you've selected any other view on the main screen - for example when on the main screen I have 2 views (let's say back and perspective) the second screen doesn't update when I play or scrub the timeline.

More ideas to come.

Thank you once again!

• Another Editor request I forgot:

• Add an option for the End key to go to the end of the last object on the NLE timeline, rather than the arbitrary "end" of the timeline. I've learned to hit "End, Page Up" to get there, but I don't think there is any value in End jumping to the arbitrary "end" of the timeline.
  • "End key to go to the end of the last object on the NLE timeline"

+1+ on that.

Ashamed to admit I never thought about an End,PgUp sequence workaround.

• When importing ProRes recorded on a Red, the files are spanned. So generally I end up with a folder per card, and any clip that's longer than 4GB is in a subfolder, because it's split into multiple clips.

My request/suggestion is to enable importing an entire folder recursively, and for Red footage span the contents of the subfolders into single clips, i.e. assemble the segments into a single clip as intended. In-camera ProRes/DNx recording is a new feature for Red. 

• I would like to add my +1 to allow any 3D object to became a deflector.

And a big thanks for the last update! The updated layer search feature is pretty useful and the Doppler effect fix among others.

• The new export screen Elapsed and Remaining fields are hard to read. IMO, it is silly to list "2 minutes and 30 seconds" literally in full. It is a waste of screen space. To make the fields readable we have to shorten and truncate the other fields which is undesireable. Also, a lot of mouse fiddling around.

Why not just list those fields in the same format as start time which fits hours, minutes and seconds into a compact screen space. As an advantage, that format is language agnostic.

• A way to lock your tracks so you don't accidently mess your project up....

• I think a way to create your own transitions would be nice, with different presets and all the fancy stuff.

• @24kmoviemaker by using the Set Matte effect, a suitable control map, and maybe some keyframes, Hitfilm can already create any custom transition you can imagine. Here's a Hitfilm 2 Ultimate tutorial on creating a custom transition. 

https://youtu.be/_-Km9CroSPw

• Amazing tutorial ! It's really interesting to see how a white background can look brighter by using the light warp and light rays effects... another demonstration that with Hitfilm, the only limit is your imagination :)

• edited December 2016

I'd like to see Play and Move to start head viewer options on the editor time line, maybe between the <.> and keyframe types icons.

Obviously include them when selecting composite shots tabs on the editor line as well.

Find it really frustrating doing a keyframe or effect then wanting to play just to see changes and having to move the mouse back and forth.

I don't always have 2 hand spare to press keyboard shortcuts.

• edited December 2016

I would also like undo and redo buttons added to the editor time line. Too much unnecessary back and forth with mouse pointer in general in HF2017. 

Also when you drag to order layers where you show a blue line where you can place it, just use the title of the layer.

Example layer 1 I want to drag below layer 2.

If I have a lot of effect options expanded on a layer so the bottom isn't visible unless I  scroll, dragging a layer below or above it is a pain.

I want to be able to drag it just under the layer title or over the bottom line for HF2017 place it above or below for me.

I find this very annoying when I got a lot of effects open and dragging layers around. 

Update: I have noticed when you move your mouse pointer to the top or bottom the mouse pointer changes to a square. If I let go at that point it snaps to where I want it.  Quick fix then can you change the mouse icon box outline to be BLUE (same colour you use for insert line) this would make it easy for people to associate it.

• edited December 2016

A Key frame Default Value icon.

Can we have an icon right side of a value that when clicked makes it 0 (zero) or its default when clicked for a current key frame?

I do a lot of effects that start off at 100% and fade to 0% and vice versa.

Dragging mouse to try and get 0.00 is a pain for the ones that have a positive and negative values.

This would speed up a lot of vfx editing for me.

I am aware of reset but that clears all key frames which I use a lot but my request is for a single key frame.

• OUT of topic

Hi all users, devs and moderators ! Have a nice evening and happy new year to all the Hitfilm community !!!

Cheers from France :)

•  Another vote for particle deflectors that are more than just a cube or a plane.  At least a sphere would be an improvement.  But preferably be able to use a 3D model as a deflector.  A sphere would be a good first step, though.

• If there is a way to convert Hfp files to after effects file, that would be great

• edited January 2017

Automatic Background GPU Rendering Option + 4K upscaling

• Multiple edit timelines in a project.

• Hi,

I'm a HitFilm Pro user and would love these features:

Performance:
    1) Better performance with both MacOS and AMD FirePro cards
    2) Support Dual GPU Cards in Mac OS (AMD FirePro D300 2048 MB)
    Tracking Camera:
    3) Fast tracking camera option such as Adobe After Effects does. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHNz5TS9ECw (2:07)

Thanks

David

• edited January 2017

I sorely miss using the Middle Mouse Button as a PAN tool for HF2017. It was very efficient to be able to quickly pan around while masking/doing detailed work in HitFilmPro 3.x.

Now in HF2017 it's become a chore to constantly switch between panning while doing any sort of detailed work.

Why was this even changed/removed?!!

Can the devs please, please, pretty please PATCH HF2017 to enable either:

1. MMB as quick panning tool (same as it was in HitFilm Pro 3.x)

2. And/Or allow us to keymap ALL possible Mouse buttons (inc buttons 3,4,5) for ANY desired SHORTCUTS.

• Warp Stabiliser

3d Camera tracker

Adjustment Layers

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator

@allenb

+1

Mocha, or use Autodesk Matchmaker, which is free and exports .ma files Hitfilm can read.

Grade Layers are Adjustment layers.