ERROR: "Failed to push samples on frame 1180"

ERROR: "Failed to push samples on frame 1180"

How do I fix this?

Comments

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator

Once again, we'll need to know your CPU, GPU, OS, RAM and storage. 

If you are on a Windows machine right-click the My Computer icon and select Properties. If you're on a Mac, give the model and year. 

Again, what's in the Composite Shot? Saying it's a Composite Shot tells us nothing. There's a huge difference between a Composite with one video clip and some grading vs something with 20 layers and particle effects. 

• Thank you so much for your help Triem23,

Here are the specs of my Mac:

iMac (21,5 inches, 2013)

Processor: 2,7 GHz Intel Core i5

Memory: 8GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Graphics: Intel Iris Pro 1536 MB

Serial Number: C02NF880F8J2

Is that what you need?

• Also, the composite shot that is taking place in that frame is basically a Superman Take Off effect.

I have a clean plate, a clip of a person jumping that I stopped it right when he is at his higher point, froze that frame and converted it into an jpg image so I could masked it and animate it to go upwards. Then I have bunch of dust clips. Also, an image of a cracked ground that I converted it into 3D (A Camera Layer was created automatically because of this) and also a grade layer where I placed the shake effect.

That is pretty much my composite shot.

I did pretty much what says in this video, but I changed the part of masking the person out so I could animated him to go up: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjF6LqppNBU

edited July 2016

Ok. @Ady I forget, is an IrisPro higher or lower spec than an HD4000? Failed to push samples errors are usually GPU related. 

I think the specs are for this model; http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/imac/specs/imac-core-i5-2.7-21-inch-aluminum-late-2013-specs.html

That 128MB Vram and shared system RAM looks like the culprit. 

Borja, I have tagged staff to confirm now that I think we have relevant info. I hope I am incorrect, but I think the issue is that your GPU is under minimum specs. I'm going to guess that right around frame 1180 is the most dense part of the takeoff when all the dirt and cracks and motion blur kicks in. From what I see on the spec sheet I linked your GPU only has 128MB of dedicated VRAM and is sharing the rest with the main system RAM. If that's accurate, then I believe Hitfilm is only using the dedicated VRAM and all of your effects and blurs are overloading the GPU. 

FYI when editing projects the viewer by default has anti aliasing off. When exporting AA is on, and that immediately at least doubles the data load on the GPU. So something that works fine in the edit can crash on export. The 'fail to push' error indicates the GPU is choking on the data. 

Borja I don't remember if I mentioned this in the other thread, but one thing to try (assuming I am wrong about being under spec) is updating your GPU drivers. There's a FAQ on that here.   http://hitfilm.com/faqs/view/10

• Thank you so much Triem23, this is being a huge help.

You are actually right about that, around frame 1180 is where the action happens, where all the dust assets and motion blur and the take off itself take place. 

Also, I already updated the system but I still get the same error.

So, what do you think that I should do?

Wait for staff response. I am 90% certain your system is under minimum specs, in which case there's nothing to be done other than upgrade your Mac. 

The only other thing I can think of is to turn off some layers to reduce the load on the GPU. Maybe turn off every "on top" of your actor and try rendering. If that works, bring the render back into your main comp, turn off actor-and-below layers, turn on above-actor layers over the rendered layers and re-render. 

Does that make sense? 

• Your idea worked perfectly. Thank you so much, it is so nice to have people like you in the HitFilm community. 

All the best for you 

• An Intel Iris is above the minimum requirements, but it is still an integrated solution, and quite near the bottom of the list of supported cards. If rendering the project in two passes worked, then it sounds like you might just be hitting the limits of what the Iris Pro can handle with the complexity of your timeline.

edited July 2016

Take a look at a Axel's proxy tutorial. 

https://youtu.be/G0eoOZSObwc

Since splitting the render up worked, you're going to want to think about proxies to split up your work. So, for a Superman liftoff shot the background, cracks in ground and dust behind your actor can all be split and proxied. Bring this proxy to a new composite as an Embedded Composite shot, and do your actor layers plus dust, debris in front of the actor. Proxy this, then embed into another Composite Shot for grading and Camera Effects. The nesting can be a pain, and you'll use a lot of disc space, but it will ease the load your GPU has to deal with at one time. 

Oh, post the shot once it's done!