Comments

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator

Well, first a get a little grumpy and say keep this in your initial thread for the topic--keeps the forum clean, and, people who come late to this thread might post the same resources as in the other. ;-) 

Ok, let me view your video now. 

edited July 2015

Watching the video, I would say your basic setup works. Very similar to the Film Riot tutorials linked in the other thread. The only criticism I have is double-checking distance. The machete swing was a bit far away from the neck. Shoot the swing first and mark a point about where the midpoint of the blade would be as reference for your target actor. That will be a more violent impact. Just mask the intersection of blade and neck, but seeing the blade emerging from the back of the neck will really sell it. 

Otherwise, layer in a bit more blood for the final impact, and add in some puddles of blood for the on-knees shot (cutting off a head=a lot of blood).

Other than those adjustments, looking good! Proof of concept works. 

• Sorry, like a clean forum as well.  Thank you very much for your input, really appreciate it.   

• Ok some points that I think need improvement.

The blade is WAY too far from the neck, looks cheap. Film it separately and roto it in partially and then back out for better contact.

Blood needs to be faster and more abundant.

Head falls the wrong way (the force would push it along the same path), and it also needs to fall faster and at a constant speed. In your footage it sort of gradually sped up in an arc.

So essentially, better contact, more blood, better falling animation, will sell the majority of the shot.

I have to disagree about constant speed, since gravity causes acceleration, but take a quick bit of footage of dropping a melon or something else roughly head-sized from head height and you can use that as reference footage to see how it would fall. 

It takes a tick under 1/5 a second for a resting object to fall 6 feet. That 5 frames at 24/25 fps or 6 frames at 30 fps. 

Otherwise, Million and I pretty much gave the same notes, but, again, your proof-of-concept shot works, so, when you shoot the actual film, I am certain you'll really make it work. 

• appreciate the input fellas!  Thanks again

• d = 0.5*g*t^2

Total distance of fall is one half the acceleration (g = 32.2 ft/s2) times the time squared.  use increments of 1/framerate for t.  That will give you the path of distance.  It does increase with each passing frame, not a constant velocity.

Heh... my 5/6 frame count was done with the distance formula, but I used metric for whatever reason... Even though I'm American and used to Imperial measurments for day-to-day, I still go metric when I start doing the physics calculations. ;-)

But, yeah, dancerchris has it correct with a better explaination than mine. :-)

• edited July 2015

@Triem23 "For whatever reasons"? I think the reason is best explained by this image: http://9gag.com/gag/aVWDYyd It uses temperature and energy as an example, but it's just the same with distance and speeds

Well I'm german though, so I'm biased towards metric anyways :D

Hahahahaha! Sad, but true.

Sign in to comment

Leave a Comment