Thunder Sounds

edited August 2011 in Everything Else
Hi,
It is storming here in the US and a little earlier I went out to the car and get something and I heard the most wicked thunder, it sounded like mulitple thunders about to break the cound barier on top of each other and it was one of the wierdest sounds ever, so how can I duplicate this sound?? Thanks, Chad
It is sort of like one long rumble of thunder about to break the sound barrier, so it is just like 14 second rumble and bang, you heard lightening breaking the sound barrier?? Never heard anything like that before in real life or on a movie!!

Comments

• edited August 2011
    The easiest way would be to get a few different recordings of thunder and place their starting points in succession slightly apart from each other. Think again about how the thunder started- with a loud bang or a slow or quick build to a climax? It's kinda hard to determine what you're looking for not having heard the same thing. You could add a little reverb which would carry the rumble longer but if over used it would take away some of the punch. If you use one recording of thunder over and over you will find that doubled or tripled up in the digital realm also tends to take away from the initial punch. It can create an unwanted flange effect but who knows- maybe that's what you heard!?!
    I hope that helps. Experiment- be thou not afraid. ;)

• The easiest way would be to get a few different recordings of thunder and place their starting points in succession slightly apart from each other. Think again about how the thunder started- with a loud bang or a slow or quick build to a climax? It's kinda hard to determine what you're looking for not having heard the same thing. You could add a little reverb which would carry the rumble longer but if over used it would take away some of the punch. If you use one recording of thunder over and over you will find that doubled or tripled up in the digital realm also tends to take away from the initial punch. It can create an unwanted flange effect but who knows- maybe that's what you heard!?!
    I hope that helps. Experiment- be thou not afraid. ;)

What I heard with the thunder sounded like thunder in a big and I mean big empty building and it sounded almost layered! I never heard anything like it. It was not the usual thunder!
  • Play around with different amounts of reverb and put several claps of thunder together in a row on different tracks. Add the reverb and adjust accordingly. Something like an empty brick warehouse wouldn't need a lot of reverb where as if it was more like a gymnasium the length of time the reverb would last would be longer and possibly louder. With an empty metal warehouse the reverb length would be somewhere in between. Let me know if you try it or maybe I could play around with some sound FX I have when I get time which is not too often for the next couple months. I'll be running sound and creating a sound design for a local theater production.
  • www.soundbible.com
  • You can download some off YouTube as well, I recon :))