KirstieT's VFX Thread

KirstieTKirstieT Staff
edited May 2014 in Filmmaking
I'm joining many of you on the HitFilm journey as even though I work for FXHOME (which is utterly amazing) I also hadn't had any experience in post production up until this point. 
It's through using HitFilm at work and helping you guys out with it that I've become really intrigued. 
I'm hoping to have the time to experiment with HitFilm 2 Ultimate more and more as time goes on, so I thought I'd put the experiments up as I go. The best thing about this community is that you're all so generous with your feedback and knowledge, so it would be great if you could teach ME a little bit about how to make my own stuff better. 
This one I did in a couple of days, stealing odd moments - it's based on Creative Dojo's tutorial (found here) which is much better than mine, but is still a great watch if you want to learn a few things. I took mine in a different direction, as you can see and tried to keep it to 8 seconds. 
I'm still not happy with it - this was my first attempt at using emitter maps and so adding the particles on top seemed like a fun and sparkly thing to do, but it doesn't quite work. The light in the text also comes in too soon and lingers for too long afterward, making the last 4 seconds boring. I'd appreciate feedback! :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jdcx5hD8oZQ&feature=youtu.be

Comments

• That's actually quite amazing! What is this volcano show about?
  • Ah, it's no show Caleb I followed Creative Dojo's tutorial to begin with and just decided to keep it in :) It's some made-up title I think.
  • Triem23Triem23 Moderator
    edited May 2014
    The last four seconds aren't boring, only the last second needs something, really.
    Remember, it's a (fake) title sequence, but you need about 3-4 seconds od a clear title. You just need a strong ending. How are you going to get rid of the text; shatter, explide, disintegration, burst into flames, flare out? Whatever.
    Looks good!
  • KirstieTKirstieT Staff
    edited May 2014
    Yeah I agree it needs something more at the end. I think flaring out would be the best idea. I'll try to do something on that this week.
    I only put this up as a status so I'll add it here. FXHOME went and did some filming for the Norfolk & Norwich Festival. I took some of the footage and tried to make it look a bit like a disaster movie, integrating sky replacement, rain on the lens, glow, camera shake and stock audio. The video below shows the normal footage followed by the VFX, then a comparison.
    It would have looked much more convincing if I'd gotten hold of some footage with screaming people instead of those casually walking past looking nonplussed - but hey :P
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtXxdHHt5vU
  • Hi Kirstie! I saw the volcano title on Friday but didn't get a chance to tell you- looks great! Although I do agree with T23, it needs a punch at the end of some kind. Maybe lava pours out of the letters- now that would be a challenge.

"It would have looked much more convincing if I'd gotten hold of some footage with screaming people instead of those casually walking past looking nonplussed - but hey :P"
    But aren't we taught to stay calm during an emergency? Just add an announcement to the audio telling everyone to remain calm (with an air raid siren in the background). :D
  • But aren't we taught to stay calm during an emergency? Just add an announcement to the audio telling everyone to remain calm (with an air raid siren in the background). :D/

Ooooh! I like that :) 
    Not that anyone would actually listen and stay calm, but still!

• SimonKJonesSimonKJones Moderator
    For the volcano text, maybe check out the recent fireball tutorial and adapt the sparks particle effect to work around the text?
    http://youtu.be/ZSarANQ11Ds
    This white paper also details the general sparks technique.
  • Triem23Triem23 Moderator

For the volcano text, maybe check out the recent fireball tutorial and adapt the sparks particle effect to work around the text?
    http://youtu.be/ZSarANQ11DsThis white paper also details the general sparks technique.

*that moment of Internet disconnect when ya think, "couldn't you just bring that up at lunch after discussing the latest" Game of Thrones plot twist, what with Tyrion really being a girl, and all that... "
  • edited May 2014
    Ooooh! I like that :) 
    Not that anyone would actually listen and stay calm, but still!

I tried to stay calm but it was difficult. Not 12 hours after I wrote that comment yesterday, I was hearing air raid sirens myself. Big powerful storm moved through the area with a tornado (at the other end of the county from me), golf ball sized hail and torrential rain so thick, a neighbor's really, really bright light was barely visible- I couldn't see the bulb at all- it was like looking through fog! One of my cats hid under a recliner for 3 hours as wave after wave of storms moved through the rest of the night. There was one point where the thunder rumbled continuously for 20 minutes! I had to turn the volume up on the tv. The river behind my house rose a foot over night......thank goodness it started very low this year.
    I thought of your vid a couple times when I paused from watching John Carter to look at the lightning display and hail. :)