Using and iPad, iPhone or Android device to control Action Pad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhy2gVT-vaA

An early version of using an iPad to control Action Pro - my favourite non-VR way to use the software. We'll be creating something similar to this for iPad, iPhone and Android in the beta before too long.

Comments

• Cool. :) If you could also use the accelerometers in the iPad / iPhone etc. might you later be able to wave one about to record motion that way too?

You could fly your iPad around the room: "Eeeeoooowwmm! Dagadagadagadag! Kerboom!"  etc. ;)

• Absolutely, at the very least you could get some very cool rotation recording from the other sensors in the iPad. :)

• @Palacono's post is clear evidence of why we need the like button.

• @BobDimarzio so true...a like button would be handy 

• @Andersen01498 since Action Pro Beta is already a paid product one could assume this would be a free upgrade for persons who already own the software, but one still has to buy-in. (Well. There will be a demo, of course.)

• @JoshDaviesCEO I would love to see Action Pro able to record accelerometer data from phones, like @Palacono suggested... in fact I had an idea a while ago that sadly didn't work because I had no way (that I knew of) to record the motion data from my phone

• I've got to understand the apps stores on iOS and Android a little more, but the intention is for the phone/tablet controller apps to be free for Action Pro.

As @Triem23 accurately points out, without Action Pro running on your desktop the phone/tablet app wouldn't do anything.

As for accelerometer data - again I need to understand what is available and how it could be functional in Action Pro (and on to HitFilm Pro).

• @JoshDaviesCEO I don't think the android app I'm thinking of is on Google Play anymore (at least it doesn't show up on my apps list). I'd pointed it out to @SimonKJones before, so it's possible he might have it installed. 

It was an animation tool for visualization. Basically it read the accelerometers on the phone and drew plotted curves on the screen. Wave one's arm around (for example) an get a drawn curve. I used to use it as a visual reference to aid in using Bezier keys in Ae or Hitfilm. Not as advanced as what you're trying to do with Action Pro, but enough to speculate. 

Most phones SHOULD have three accelerometers--one for each axis--that you should be able to get position data from. In Android there should be standard defined system calls. In one of the 2.x Android revisions accelerometer calls were standardized specifically to aid mobile game developers. After all, there are all kinds of mobile games controlled by tilting or waving the phone.

So, it's absolutely 100% possible in principle to be able to measure the movement of an Android device by moving it around while extracting rotation and position data. Zoom around the room with your phone and hook the movement of a spaceship to the path, and whatnot. 

One would assume an iPhone has the same sensors. 

But, it's a long way from knowing it's 100% possible vs actually writing the code. Still, if you have any contacts in the mobile gaming industry--especially anyone who has worked on something like a driving game where you tilt the phone--those are people who should be able to point you in the right direction. Also, talk to any contacts you have in mobile AR/VR since the accelerometers are used to track phone locations for calculation of viewpoint (VR/360 video) or overlay graphics (AR). 

• In lieu of a 'like' button........*LIKE*!

• Any more on developing an iPad version?  Looking forward to giving it a try.

• Sorry for the delay on this (please check https://fxhome.com/forum/discussion/48003/whats-happening-with-action-pro). There will be more progress to report soon, but tablet and phone integrations for Action Pro are some of my favourites.

• edited November 2018

I've not really ised tablets mucb for video work, more photo work, but, over the last 15 years I've never quite gotten over the disconnect between my hand moving on a table with the cursor on-screen, so I recently picked up a pen tablet display . It's not wireless, but runs from my USB ports.

So, this gives me two options... Either I can use the pen display as a duplicated screen 1, and draw/stylus directly on the screen, or, I can set the pen display up as screen 2 for a full-screen display.

I have this XP-Pen Artist 22 Pro monitor tablet  .

https://www.storexppen.com/buy/60.html

xp-pen artist 22 pro pen tablet display

• Yeah, we can make this app for both Windows/Mac and iOS for sure.

• The moment a (reliable) rotation input becomes available, I'M IN! It will save me hours in some of my 3D object animation, which relies much more on rotation than X/Y/Z position. Can't wait!

•  My team working on iPad and Android versions? whenever my team completed that task then I share the case study with you.

•  Is this product dead so much for the extended 6 months?  Is it possible to get a refund?

• edited October 15

Will there be an answer to

Andersen01498 ?

Any feedback: he posted on 25 September. There doesn't seem to be much activity on Action Pro, although I think it has potential to be very useful. It would be good if the demo version offered a limited 'export to HitFilm' support just to see how the integration works. Also some more detail on input options: I managed to create a csv input file by looking at the example on the home page, but it was trial and error.

• Hi @Andersen01498 - so sorry to have missed your message (thanks @pinthenet for posting). I reckon as it wasn't tagged with one of the staff members, it fell through the cracks. Our refund period is only 14 days, and as we extended the license by 6 months for free earlier this year, we would be unable to provide a refund to Action Pro I'm afraid.

Earlier this year, a tragic circumstance meant that our development team has had to shuffle around in order to deliver the necessary resource to our largest products, HitFilm Pro and Imerge Pro. Unfortunately Action Pro is the smallest of our product range, with the smallest development team and so is at most risk of delay. 

You are of course, not obliged to purchase a new version of Action Pro until a new update is released. As it is not a subscription, you won't be charged any further if you decide to end your perpetual license after the 12 months. 

We are very sorry to not be releasing updates on this software at the moment, and we are working hard internally to dedicate more resource to Action Pro and deliver more updates in the future. An update is planned to be coming out over the next few months and everyone that owns Action Pro will get that update whether they're out of their renewal period or not. @IAmJoshuaDavies or myself will be posting in this forum as soon as we have any more information about development. 

• I understand thanks for the explanation