Film Clip on Edit Timeline - Recovery of start/end times information?

I wondered is it possible to recover start and end frame numbers or time from a clip on the time line.

1. I imported videos as media
  2. Used trimmer to create clips which I placed on time line in the editor.
  3. I now want to make a composite of all these edited clips.

I know how to make a composite from multiple media but I do not know how to do the same but using trimmed clips on the editor timeline.

It seems I need to start again and import videos from media and re-trim in the composite screen?

Thats fine but it would speed things up if I could re-use the time/frame number information from the sequence of clips already on the timeline, retrim but more robotically being guided by decisions already made.

It seems a useful thing to know how to do? To be able to find start and end frame number or time information from a trimmed clip on the timeline.

Thanks in advance !

Comments

• edited February 15

@Jonnie45 While this doesn't directly answer your question about finding the start and end times of trimmed media on the Editor timeline, it will get you to the end result you're seeking of putting multiple trimmed clips into a single composite shot (item 3 from your list).

On the Editor timeline, right-click a single clip that you've trimmed.  Choose "Make Composite Shot."  In the dialog, leave the options at their defaults and click OK.  You now have a composite shot that contains the trimmed version of the clip.  Repeat this for the other clips.

Now make a new empty composite shot that's long enough to contain your three clips.  Drop in the comps you made, arrange them as you like, add effects, etc.

Not nearly as elegant as just taking several clips and having HitFilm make a comp out of all of them (which I believe has been added to the wishlist already, but may still be worth a repeat mention), but it'll get the job done.

• edited February 16

@jsbarrett

Thanks for the reply - nested composites!

Yes I have previously successfully made a composite from untrimmed videos and then trimmed them in the composite.

I am now roughing  out a sequence on the regular editor, this decision was a mistake initially but I do actually find it slightly easier to trim and arrange a sequence of clips on the editor compared with trimming clips that have been added to a composite.  I think this might be a preferred way for me - rough it out in the editor then list the clips and trim information and then do it for real in a composite so that the finished item can be treated as a single unit.

I wonder if there is any overhead in composites and therefore nested composites as this may have further advantages, I have kind of instinctively avoided nested composites on the basis that they may represent an overhead - perhaps not?

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator

Nested Composites DO have overhead as the nest has it's frame rendered, then passed to the current composite as a layer--but that's the exact reason proxies exist; to prerender a final quality video file of the relevant comp.

It's a gray area. In another thread I recommended an embedded composite shot with Fractal Noise as a Displacement Source. @jsbarrett recommended burying the Fractal under a Grade Layer and using the Grade as the Source. Both work, but with the grade, the Fractal has to calculate and render, then the grade has to render then the frame is grabbed. By proxying the embedded composite shot then a frame is grabbed from prerendered video. Faster. 

Good nesting order and smart use of Proxies are key to workflow. 

• @Triem23

Thanks - yes I intend to start experimenting with use of proxies.