HitFilm Causing Driver Power State Failure BSOD

Since yesterday, almost every time I try to use HitFilm Express for more than 30 minutes, it crashes my entire computer. The triggers range from importing images into the project to placing an image on the timeline, to even just having the program run in the background while I draw. 

It usually starts with HitFilm becoming unresponsive. Sometimes I am able to force close it, but the computer will still blue screen shortly after. These errors differ slightly, but they're all driver power state failures.

I'm on an ASUS laptop:

Windows 10 64 bit, 16gb RAM, Intel Core i7-7700 hq 2.80ghz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050, Intel HD Graphics 630 (I saw that the Intel/Nvidia combo had lead to issues in the past?)

All my drivers are up to date, I last checked this morning. I also checked for updates to HitFilm and ran a repair on it just to see.

Comments

• Your system specs given look to be more than enough to run HF. 

But what I see int the error posted is "Driver_Power_State_Failure" and "Caused by Driver: ntoskrnl.exe".   To me this suggests a deeper problem with the hardware and operating system.   Could be your on board power supply is insufficient, or there is a bug in the Nvidia driver that fritzes the OS.

Having two competing graphics chipsets might be the issue.  I believe there is a way to tell the system to use only one of the GPU's (which you will want to be the Nvidia).  Don't have that off the top of my head but I bet if you Google that you'll find it.  I believe this has been mentioned on the forum, as well.

• This is a driver causing an inconsistent power state. 

Parameter 1 - The code given indicates a driver in your system is not responding to instructions to change the power state of the corresponding hardware. I think the 'real' description is something like "A device object has been blocking an IRP for too long"

Parameter 2 - The Physical Device Object of the stack

Parameter 3 - The Functional Device Object of the stack

Parameter 4 - The ignored power state change/blocked IRP

You should be able to pinpoint the offending driver using the above parameters and going over the dmp's. If you're up for it, here's the basics to get started reading Windows memory dumps.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/315263/how-to-read-the-small-memory-dump-file-that-is-created-by-windows-if-a 

• Give me some news if any solution works for you. Same computer same problem here since NVIDIA's december driver updates.

• edited January 4

Ratou, the crashes started happening with other programs as well. No one at NVIDIA or Intel or Asus seemed to be able to tell me why, so I requested an exchange of the computer to see if it's because of faulty hardware. If the new computer I get has the same crashes, I'm not sure what to do at that point.

• I've noticed the same thing too. I'll probably do the same and switch computer entirely.
    Thanks for the info! Keep me updated if new laptop helps.

•  The problem is might be related to NVIDIA driver, so, the best is to check the problematic driver first try to boot into Safe mode and after that uninstall the driver with a problem.

Follow the steps:

• After you enter into Safe Mode > press the Windows +R key to opon a Run 
    • Type mscand click OK.
    • Expand the category and find the device with a yellow mark.
    • Right click on the device.
    • Click Uninstall.
    • Repeat the steps above to uninstall all drivers with a yellow mark.
    • Reboot your PC.

IMPORTANT: If you enter safe mode in Windows Normal Mode, uncheck Safe boot after you uninstall the drivers. Then reboot your PC. and check whether the error is fixed or not.