THE HITFILM WISHLIST: What Features Do You Want?

Comments

• Option to disable Auto expand on control Panel/layer stack so their appearance (collapse/expand) is unique.

Background: When adding effect or working with properties in the Control Panel also the layer stack expands. This makes Scrolling a bit of hell when having 40+ layers in a comp which result in 40 lines and after expaning two layers there are about 10 lines more.

Anyway sometimes it may be nice to Keep behaviour like it is now so an Option would be good instead of changing a behaiour other users might find useful.

• A looping function just like in after effects 

• Possibly allow the use of mouse clicks on the second, (or third) monitor and  not stop hitfilm from doing what it is currently doing.   My machine is graphically challenged Geforce750TI ,so sometimes my ADD kicks in and I choose to check email or this forum while loading up a ram preview, and it stops dead in it's tracks.

• I've said this before multiple times--directly to @Ady via email (twice!) in Beta, in my video first look, and on the forum, and I'll say it again with a new twist now. Also, for the first time ever, I tag @JoshDaviesCEO directly in the Wishlist, since Ady basically said via email "Mike, I agree, but Josh wants this." We all agree that one should certainly do what the boss says, so this is now an open letter to the brilliant big man, on behalf of the users. 

The new Quality Settings and Play/Pause options in Hitfilm Pro v6 are a fantastic and great idea for much finer control over the Viewer Panel, but with bass-ackwards implementation: 

• The old Viewer Quality Settings button and dedicated Resolution drop down menu were combined then moved to become sub-menus of the Options dropdown. 
    • This is confusing placement for upgrading users. Two existing controls seem to have vanished from the interface. 
    • This is non-intuitive placement for new users. Everything about managing viewer and playback quality is buried in a submenu. 
    • Most Hitfilm users, including pretty much all the Workspace presets shipped, have the interface set where flow of control running in a rough triangle from the upper left to lower right corner. Media, effects, Trimmer, Controls, etc, almost all panels are on the left side of the screen. 
    • So, the new quality controls are not only buried in sub-menus, they're buried in a "low traffic" location. 
    • I change these settings a LOT. Especially when models and particles get involved. Instead of those options  being right next to the Transport Controls and Playhead, they are now a quarter-screen away. This can add up to a lot of extra movement when animating. 
    • I'd hoped that with more use the new placement would become comfortable. Nope, after several months of use, I still hate it and consider it the only mis-step in Hitfilm v6. I actually consider it the biggest mis-step of the last four revisions--in contrast, the changes to Camera Controls in HF4 became second nature in a week. 

Josh, can we pretty-pretty please have the new Viewer Quality Settings moved back to the dedicated button they had before? That button previously had a "current/full" toggle behavior with a click/hold bringing up a context menu, so we wouldn't lose the functionality of the new submenus, but they would be back in a high-traffic area. 

Suggested additional behavior for toggling. The "Off" toggle uses "current settings."  The "On" Toggle sets both playback and pause settings to highest-quality. This is a useful toggle behavior for easy max-quality RAM previews or fine-tuning lights and materials, final grading etc. Then a single click returns to my desired (lower quality) settings for speed when animating/keyframing. That's a lot faster than having to take multiple trips to multiple submenus. I truly feel this would take this powerful new toolset and make it much more intuitive for upgrading and brand new users alike. 

• @Triem23 I agree the playback controls are confusing what is the purpose for the paused playback quality?

• @Andersen01498 this is actually a function in other software (such as After Effects). Basically "Paused" quality will never be lower than "Playback" quality. One might be playing back an animation or edit at a lower quality for maximum smoothness, but want higher quality when adjusting fine details while paused. Having the two separate quality settings should, in theory, reduce the number of times a user needs to toggle quality settings during editing/animation. Usually it does, but, now the controls are just in an awkward place! 

• +1 to to awkward placement observation.  Only recently did I stumble across an issue that caused me to go searching and finally found the adjustments I needed

• Hitfilm needs a crop to region of interest tool...this is helpful.  I wish HItfilm had this. https://www.rocketstock.com/blog/how-to-crop-in-after-effects/  

Link to clarify what I want

• edited January 1

There are a few things here that Hitfilm needs to speed up users workflow.

1.   Have the ability to drag and drop effects to the viewer window instead of dragging it to the control panel 

2.     Have the ability to lock our layers

3.  Have a crop to region interest tool an example (https://www.rocketstock.com/blog/how-to-crop-in-after-effects/

4.   Have the ability to adjust the anchor point with our cursor instead of  moving the anchor  point in the control window

5.   An option to interpret footage and this has the ability to loop footage an example (https://www.premiumbeat.com/blog/interpret-footage-in-after-effects/

6.  a pick whip option when parenting layers

7. expressions 

8.   more options with the pen tool ( I know  you can draw shapes with the pen tools but some people just don't have the time) 

9.  The ability to have stroke ability to your masks...I don't want to use the neon glow path effect, this is not an efficient way to do things

10.   The ability to right click- reverse keyframes ( once again I'm not talking about an effect)  users should be able to reverse keyframes without wasting time to put an effect 

11.  The ability to have different comp windows up at the same time... so users can  quickly know how it is affecting the other comp without manually going back to the comp tab. 

12.  real world camera settings

13.  more  real-world light settings 

14. The ability to add markers

15.  The ability to see all our keyframes in one click of a button

16.  The ability to align objects 

17.  The ability to have snapping abilities when aligning objects 

These are just a few as time goes on I will update this list to make it easier for the devs as they are looking for wishlist items. 

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator
    • @Andersen01498 ;

1.   Have the ability to drag and drop effects to the viewer window instead of dragging it to the control panel 

I'm confused here. I assume the dragged effect should go to the active layer, but, once I drop an effect, I usually adjust it, so my mouse would end up in Controls anyway... But I'll +1 this, anyway. 

2.     Have the ability to lock our layers

+21 (fingers, toes and ?? up) 

3.  Have a crop to region interest tool an example (https://www.rocketstock.com/blog/how-to-crop-in-after-effects/

The viewer window zooms around the mouse pointer with the scroll wheel, so we kind of have this, but a drag box is a good idea, so +1

4.   Have the ability to adjust the anchor point with our cursor instead of  moving the anchor  point in the control window

You can do this if the value is highlighted in layers/controls. 

5.   An option to interpret footage and this has the ability to loop footage an example (https://www.premiumbeat.com/blog/interpret-footage-in-after-effects/

Hitfilm can already interpret frame rate--right-click in media bin and select Properties. +1 for loop. 

6.  a pick whip option when parenting layers

Meh. Click/drag or use a dropdown menu. I prefer the dropdown, myself. That's me: often in large comps I bury control points at the bottom of the stack. Pick whip would involve scrolling. Guess it's 6 of 1, half-dozen of the other. 

7. expressions

I'd probably rather have more behaviors. I've seen very few expressions ever that can't be replicated with two keyframes. 

8.   more options with the pen tool ( I know  you can draw shapes with the pen tools but some people just don't have the time) 

Expand, please? 

9.  The ability to have stroke ability to your masks...I don't want to use the neon glow path effect, this is not an efficient way to do things

Neon path is Stoke. With glow. 

10.   The ability to right click- reverse keyframes ( once again I'm not talking about an effect)  users should be able to reverse keyframes without wasting time to put an effect. 

Are you referring to positions on timeline or value? Some, but not all, keyframes values can be inverted by holding CTRL and clicking on keyframe. Try it with Position, for example. I'd like this shortcut on all keys, though. 

11.  The ability to have different comp windows up at the same time... so users can  quickly know how it is affecting the other comp without manually going back to the comp tab. 

With the caveat of performance hits, +1.

12.  real world camera settings

These would be helpful, but see Essential Hitfilm 12 on my Hitfilm University YouTube channel. That entire episode is about matching Hitfilm's camera to a real-world lens. An upcoming episode will return to the topic for lens distortion. FYI, a default Hitfilm cam is 35mm.

13.  more  real-world light settings 

Expand, please? 

14. The ability to add markers

15.  The ability to see all our keyframes in one click of a button

On a layer or globally? Expand, please. 

16.  The ability to align objects 

+1

17.  The ability to have snapping abilities when aligning objects 

+1

Don't append your list, do new posts. I doubt the devs scroll, looking for edited posts. :) 

• "A looping function just like in after effects"

@Andersen01498 For those of us who haven't used AE to get your reference, what exactly do you mean by this?  Looping what and where?

@jsbarrett I think he wants a toggle where a media clip will loop if you stretch it past its end frame. Vegas and Premiere have this too. Very useful for looping media, obviously. 

• Hello,

Can you add the features that allows us to apply camera mapping on 3D models ? and also to edit meshes on it (deformation of 3D models) 

thank you in advance 

• @jsbarrett do you want me to clarify even more, even though @Triem23 was correct?

• edited January 1

@Andersen01498 No, that covers it.  Thanks to @Triem23 for the clarification.

• When you add a text layer and type, the text layer name should match the text that you are typing instead of having to manually rename the text layer

• Hi, putting Quality profiles in a more accessible place would be great. I found recently my lighting was not working and to be honest if not for Bob De Mazio telling me where to look,I would still be sitting trying to figure it out

• +1 On moving the quality selection to a better place. Like where is was before. One can still do this via a popup menu like currently implemented in the options menu.

--

While on the subject of quality. What the heck is antialised (AA) doing on the resolution menu. AA is not a resolution. Especially as HF only does MSAA. It is a visual quality choice and should be an option among the visual quality options now offered in HF6.

Okay prior to HF6, Hitfilm did not have quality options but you wanted to offer AA for use during edit. Putting it on the resolution menu made some sense given the features offered at the time. It is not a resolution but where to put an AA option. Now with the quality options in HF6 it makes no sense where it is. Just because previous versions did it a certain way does not make it "right" going forward.

Moving it would also allow AA in Half resolution. This can be useful when you must use Half for better playback. Yes, AA adds overhead and reduces performance some level. Half+AA, especially at 4x, can perform better than Full with no AA, and it will look better. 3D models will look better with AA at half rez. They get really jaggy at 960x540 (half 1080). Probably text as well but I cannot comment from first hand experience here.

It seems, the whole idea of this HF6 quality feature it to give us users the flexibility to balance quality with playback performance. So why stab us in the eye by removing the flexibility for us to find a sweat spot. 

• Seconded to infinity for the ability to loop clips in the timeline (in both editor and composite modes).  I'm currently working on a project where I need a 1-minute piece of footage to loop for several hours and there doesn't seem to be any way to do this except to tediously cut and paste the clip over and over in the timeline.

• edited January 2

@dankoernergmailcom  cut'n'paste the clip  5-10 times in a comp. Copy that comp into another one. Cut'n'paste it 5-10 times. You now have 25-100 versions. Copy that to another comp and cut'n'paste as many times as you need. It soon multiplies up. Not ideal, but a bit less tedious. If you need variation you could have multiples of some of the lower level comps, or the mid level ones .

• @Palacono as you said not ideal...a person should not have to take the time to cut and paste 

• The ability to mark clips in the Media panel would be nice. When I go through and find the clips that I want to keep, they usually get lost in all of the bad takes. Maybe a small flag button next to every item? An extreme would be the ability to assign a color to items (etc. Blue for the ones I want to keep, red for the ones I absolutely can't use).

• Ich wünsche mir eine deutschsprachige Unterstützung für Hitfilm - für die Software und insbesondere für die Tutorials. Die englischen Videos sind für meine Sprachkenntnisse zu schnell.

My wish: support for German language in Hitfilm - for the software and especially for the tutorials. The english tutorials are at most to fast for me to understand.

• +1 for @Triem23 Suggestion of moving the quiality Settings. It should be clearly for the user - especially new users - when some Things are not shown because of the actual Viewer Settings. What if you Keep the Profile where it is AND make a few Icons at the old place so the user can recognize (because some Icons are "greyed") that some Things will not Display with the actual Viewer Settings.

• +1 for uncomplicating the quality profile process.  And putting the buttons were they were in 2017.  Also, unless someone has a compelling reason that these  parameters should be completely user customizable  thus allowing the unaware to hose things completely.  Please limit it to the  factory choices. Also, Fastest (to me) is absolutely useless since all generated aspects ie extrusions  etc  are not shown.

@BobDiMarzio true, but fastest is of most use to Vloggers and Let's Play. Sometimes you wanna kill all effects and just check the video edit. It's not something I would use often, but it's good to have as an "effects bypass" toggle.

I'm also all for customization. With those controls buried in File>Properties a lot of users will only use the factory defaults. For myself, I don't remember offhand how I adjusted things, but I did customize one level. 

As I've pounded away on, I love the feature concept, I just don't like the menu placement. People on slow to medium GPUs will want to cycle viewer options a lot. Especially if, say, messing around with spydurhank's insane 1.5m poly X-wing with 4k or higher textures! 

• @Triem23 Yes, I can see that. however, I must admit that I do not know what "Let's Play" is.  For me I find that Fractal noise black hole type effects bring my machine to a halt.  I need to upgrade my woefully outdated 750TI. What is your opinion of the GTX1070?

@BobDiMarzio Let's Play is the inexplicable practice of watching a screen capture of someone else playing a video game. Something I don't understand as an old man...

The 1070 is probably the power/price winner right now. The 1080s are significantly faster, but not enough to justify the price increase unless you really have money to spend. 

• I customized the Quick level. I enabled lighting for that quality level. I can't ever see myself using fastest but Quick with lights could be good when shadows (draft) become burdensome. 

• Use the mouse wheel for zoom in/out in the editor/composite shot timeline

(like the viewer panel).