THE HITFILM WISHLIST: What Features Do You Want?

Comments

• @SNRSE

Composite Shots are saved to your Media Bin, which can be added to other Composite Shots.  Just like any media you have in your bin as well. Is that what you're looking for? If so, you can already do that. You just have to drag them from your Media Bin into your new comps. Pretty straight forward.

• edited December 2017

"It's impossible to edit text layers that are below other text layers without moving the upper layer's text box out of the way."

Vector drawing programs have worked out this concept for some time. 'This' being the selection of an item from multiple items that overlap. Hitfilm could do something similar. Often a modifier key to sequentially move down the depth/hierarchy selecting items below one that is "above".

• @NormanPCN +1 to that. If you've selected a specific letter that's only on one text layer then to have the 'empty space' of a layer above to be selected is frustrating as we STILL have no Solo. I also previously wished for the Layer tab to do something more useful than remain there after you've tracked something and think Hitfilm's broken - and redundantly allow you to create masks. Being able to edit text there ( and see/ manipulate other layers hidden at the bottom of a layer stack) would be very useful.  

• Hit Film:

1. Object per layer, multiple events.

Adding several segments in one layer in the compositing module. https://hitfilm.com/forum/discussion/45550/can-i-trim-a-timeline-object-in-a-composite#latest

2. Global Keyframe

The ability to change the position of the keyframes in a collapsed view.

Imagine that you have a way to see if an object has or not a keyframe in a specific position. This can be helpfull to select a range and move it in the timeline. It is not to change properties, only position (therefore duration)

You can click on the triangle on the left to see (and edit) the global keyframes (red elipses), and you can select just some of them (red rectangle), this will select in reality all keyframes in that time segment (orange rectangle)

Global Keyframes

Forum:

Some primitive basic search engine.

Better category sub-structure. For example:

User gallery:

- Work in progress

- Finished projects

HitFilm Techniques:

- How do I...

- Share a tutorial, tips and tricks.

•  masking: add the possibility to import a svg vector file or eps or whatever to create complex masks, hitfilm uses points and bezier curves to create masks, importing vectors that uses these would not be that hard

• edited December 2017

Grouping (not merging) clips on the Editor timeline.

Select clips -> right-click clip -> group clips

and

Right-click clip -> ungroup clips

Then you can drag all clips at once instead of having to painstakingly make sure you've selected EVERY single clip you need to move, without having selected any that you don't. Right now, if you drag clips and don't realise you made an error with clip selection until hours later, you may destroy a carefully-edited clip (by dragging something on top of it) and have no way to get it back without editing it all over again. (Incidentally, couldn't we have an optional warning/prompt for when we're about to destroy a clip by dragging another one on top of it?)

Grouping clips was suggested on the first page of this thread yet I don't see it on the list. It would be incredibly useful.

• edited December 2017

The ability to mute a specific audio clip on the Editor timeline...

WITHOUT lowering its dB level (we might already have this set exactly how we want it),

WITHOUT making it into a composite shot (we don't need everything to be a composite shot when we just want to temporarily mute something),

WITHOUT muting the entire audio track (we may have other audio clips we want to hear on that track), and

WITHOUT having to add a new audio track for this purpose (unnecessary clutter).

• Speed effect: 

I Need to use it very often (educational Videos of soccer Scenes). I found two ways to do that:

Using Speed/Duration: Slowing down Speed it Shows Frames for longer, not inserting any calculated Frames. Thats what I Need but I can't keyframe it over time.

Using the speed effect: Slowing down it seems its inserting Frames which are a blended Version of two ones making the Video look more blurry. But I can keyframe it.

Wish: Add an Option to the Speed effect so I can decide wether I want intermediate Frames to be inserted or not.

• +1 to that, as it's been mentioned before.

Same applies to 'Normal' text and Generated>Text; have the same options in both. The 'old' text has features not in the 'new' one.

• Hi, my wishlist so far:

- means to accurately trim on sound in the trimmer (moving and/or scalable waveform in the trimmer, with line indicatin where the playhead is?) -this for both audio and video media.

- markers in the edit timeline.

- fullscreen preview (for comps, of from in-point to out-point on the edit timeline)

- while it is possible and easy to copy-paste effects (grading) from one clip to others on the timeline, it is not easy to change said grading aftewards (it has to be modified clip by clip). A "grade layer" that could be trimmed and duplicated on the edit timeline would be nice.

- pressing "Alt" while using the roll-edit tool would make L and J cuts even easier and faster.

• edited December 2017

@Cervier

"- pressing "Alt" while using the roll-edit tool would make L and J cuts even easier and faster."

In fact, you can do this already without selecting the roll-edit tool. With the default select tool (arrow) already active, you simply hold down ALT and click on the end of the audio clip to make your J or L cut. Of course, you have to make sure you've trimmed the video portion to make room for the J or L cut.

"- means to accurately trim on sound in the trimmer (moving and/or scalable waveform in the trimmer, with line indicatin[g] where the playhead is?) -this for both audio and video media."

Why would you want to trim sound in the trimmer window without having the video clip in the timeline? What purpose would that serve if you don't have an adjacent clip to trim the sound to?

• @Cervier

fullscreen preview (for comps, of from in-point to out-point on the edit timeline)

Requires Pro 2017 or v6, but implemented.

@ToddGroves remember, one might be trimming sound fx or music media for audio tracks 2-?.

• ToddGroves

a)

"- pressing "Alt" while using the roll-edit tool would make L and J cuts even easier and faster."

In fact, you can do this already without selecting the roll-edit tool. With the default select tool (arrow) already active, you simply hold down ALT and click on the end of the audio clip to make your J or L cut. Of course, you have to make sure you've trimmed the video portion to make room for the J or L cut.

No, doesn't work. Pressing ALT allows to "trim in" either track (video or audio) leaving a gap, but doesn't allow to "trim out"  into the adjacent clip (like the roll edit tool does)

b)

"Why would you want to trim sound in the trimmer window without having the video clip in the timeline? What purpose would that serve if you don't have an adjacent clip to trim the sound to?"

Because when looking for a specific part of an audio piece (word, effect, whatever), it's much easier to look for a shape on the waveform. It's easier for whatever you have to do, really...

• edited December 2017

- while it is possible and easy to copy-paste effects (grading) from one clip to others on the timeline, it is not easy to change said grading aftewards (it has to be modified clip by clip). A "grade layer" that could be trimmed and duplicated on the edit timeline would be nice. - @Cervier

While grade layers in the editor hasn't been added yet, since HitFilm 6 you can right click a clip and select "Paste Attributes" or "Remove Attributes" to add / remove / update your grading.

Attributes: HitFilm now offers the ability to copy a group of attributes from one clip and apply them directly to another, or your whole project. Forgot to grade your first 10 clips? Now you can grade one and easily apply the same grade to the rest. - from this page: https://hitfilm.com/hitfilm-pro/features/#editing

• @CedricBonnier

Thank you. Being able to "remove attributes" from a selection of clips is certainly close to what I would like . I'm looking forward to that feature being implemented on Express (I'm using HFE 2017).

• @Cervier

"No, doesn't work. Pressing ALT allows to "trim in" either track (video or audio) leaving a gap, but doesn't allow to "trim out"  into the adjacent clip (like the roll edit tool does)"

Actually, "trim out" does work. You have to make sure that the video of the clip your "trimming out" the audio of has been shortened. And that the audio of the clip you're covering over has been trimmed as well.

• ToddGroves

Maybe it's because I'm on Express 2017? But it doesn't work. Of course I was trying on clips that have been shortened (for the ones I want to "trim out"). Regarding the adjacent clips I want to "trim onto", it shouldn't matter, but it so happens they had been shortened as well.

And I've also tried from both the audio and the video tracks.

• when will be a track padlock option ? I think this is nearly the most useful option when compositing.

• @Triem23

Cervier was talking about J or L cuts. Not music. So I'm assuming there's a video attached to the sound. In which case, using ALT is appropriate in Express or Pro.

• The ability to keyframe the speed, in the end, crawl effect, I had to make a comp shot and use the speed effect and that is kinda annoying..

• A setting that can be enabled/disabled in the options menu that (when enabled) sets the playhead to the cursor's location upon left-click.

(A feature I greatly miss coming from Vegas.)

• My whiny demands are as follows...

I'd like to be able to turn off mask extension handles so they optionally do not appear in any circumstance. 

Say a checkbox in preferences which turns mask extension handles on (same as now) or off, in which case the extension handles would not appear during mask operations.

The problem I'm hoping can be solved is this.  The extension handles tend to appear in a random manner quite often, and when they do appear they appear on top of the mask point.  This forces you to deal with the extension handles, even if you didn't request them, and don't want them.

The default could be just as it is now.  A checkbox in preferences could turn off the extension handles for those who find them to be in the way. 

Oh, also, I'd like all future versions of Hitfilm to be personally delivered to my home by Diane Lane.  Thank you.

• +3 for Dianne Lane. 

• edited December 2017

Speaking of masks....

I would like to be able to marquee select mask points, then a bounding box appears around the selected points. With which I can transform, scale and rotate the selected points to my heart's content.

I may have mentioned this before. But, I thought it was worth reiterating.

Oh yea, and +3 for Diane Lane.

• edited March 23

more creative transitions in HitFilm express  presets  

swich  
    glitch
    shake
    camera hand
    zoom ( creative in out) (found that in hitfilm)
    ink
    roll 
    spin 
    push (found that in hitfilm)

• Please add Surround sound support!

I see it is already on the list so +1 to it.

• Some kind of warp stabiliser?

• edited December 2017

+1 Surround Sound (I bought Vegas Pro 14 on Humble Bundle for 17€/20$ for 5.1 editing if someone is interested)

+1 warp stabilizer 

+1 global keyframe

• even if it seem impossible, some integration with Da Vinci Resolve? (I mean like vegas)
    • Follow path and move around surface behavoiours for particle simulator  (for text, 3D models and PNGs)
    • lock mask position, so we can move the layer while mask stay in place

• @Andersen01498

Do you mean, besides the stabilizing you can do with Mocha? A warp stabilizer separate from Mocha?

• @ToddGroves You can't stabilise with the mocha that comes with Hitfilm. You'd need to upgrade to Mocha Pro.

Sign in to comment