Ignite for Houdini?

I'm noticing they have Ignite plugins for DaVinci Resolve and Nuke, both nodal based software. Does anyone know if FXhome has an Ignite plugin for Houdini?

Comments

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator

They do not. Perhaps in the future. That said, this is doubtful as Ignite is pixel-based effects for layer-based editors and compositors while Houdini is procedural, node based 3D software. I don't think Houdini is OpenFX compliant, so, chances are against it since this would be a ground-up full recode. 

• Hey there. Thanks for the response!

I was figuring this was the case, that there is no extant Ignite plugin for Houdini, but figured I would ask the community. However, I still wonder if it is possible. I think Houdini is OpenFX compliant (just not Open Source). If Ignite works in DaVinci and Nuke, not sure why it could not work in other node-based software like Houdini. Although, perhaps Ignite really just enhances the editing aspects of these softwares (DaVinci and Nuke, that is). Houdini does not really have a built-in timeline for editing clips to be enhanced.

That said, it is possible to go the other way. Instead of a HitFilm plugin (Ignite) for Houdini; a Houdini plugin (which they call Engine) could potentially be created for HitFilm:

http://www.sidefx.com/docs/hengine2.0/_h_a_p_i__overview.html

Tell me that wouldn't be sweet to have a 3D creation package that could integrate into HitFilm, if you so choose?

If for no other reason than word association, Ignite and Engine would go together nicely. (smile)

• "If Ignite works in DaVinci and Nuke, not sure why it could not work in other node-based software like Houdini."

Nodes are not relevant. OpenFX is a frame based, pixel based plug-in framework. Nodes, track or layers mean nothing. They are just different ways to organize a video stream which is a stream of pixel based frames. OpenFX has no idea what a track, layer or node is. It knows what a frame is.

As Treim23 stated, these pixel based effects operations are not applicable to 3D modeling.

A Hitfilm example. You cannot apply effects to a 3D unrolled model layer in Hitfilm. This is because the unrolled 3D model layer is a pure 3D model and not raster/pixel based. Effects only operate on 2D pixel frames. Only once a 3D unrolled model is composited does it get rasterized (converted to 2D pixels). But then the model is mixed in with whatever it was composited with.

•  ...sooo, you're saying there is a chance for a Houdini plugin for HitFilm?   Cool. (smile)

Seriously though, thanks for your response. Obviously, programming is not my thing.  

...But to clarify, I was not thinking the 2D effects and 3D modeling would coexist at once. I thought HitFilm Pro has this great capacity for 3D space (which includes that ability to unroll a 3D model layer), and that this was a potential way in for a modeling platform like Houdini. I imagined the integration would entail launching a Houdini UI separate from HitFilm, like mocha pro, and the 2D effects would be applied on the back end once the modeling is brought back in to HitFilm and composited.

...This post was me just wondering out loud. On another level, one might ask why attempt to integrate the two. You could build all the effects HitFilm offers in Houdini and Houdini has compositing capabilities. Yet, unlike HitFilm, Houdini is not known for its ease of use (Houdini is also rather pricey, with an annual license and such, even for the plugin).

Anyway, thanks for indulging me.

Cheers!

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator

Never say never, yet that depends on if there's enough potential overlap between the markets for both companies to spend the development resources. 

As a side note forum mods aren't FXHOME staff, but user volunteers, so I merely speculate. 

• It is possible... if SideFX decides that it's worth it. Houdini's compositor is a lot more powerful than it has a reputation for, since for most of its users it's just a fringe benefit.

A Houdini Engine implementation for HitFilm would be cool, since Houdini has one of the best dynamics engines out there, and an incredible procedural particle animation system. 

It's gotten a LOT easier to use lately, too.