Using and iPad, iPhone or Android device to control Action Pad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhy2gVT-vaA

An early version of using an iPad to control Action Pro - my favourite non-VR way to use the software. We'll be creating something similar to this for iPad, iPhone and Android in the beta before too long.

Comments

• Cool. :) If you could also use the accelerometers in the iPad / iPhone etc. might you later be able to wave one about to record motion that way too?

You could fly your iPad around the room: "Eeeeoooowwmm! Dagadagadagadag! Kerboom!"  etc. ;)

• Absolutely, at the very least you could get some very cool rotation recording from the other sensors in the iPad. :)

• @Palacono's post is clear evidence of why we need the like button.

• @BobDimarzio so true...a like button would be handy 

• @JoshDavisCeowill will this app be free?

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator

@Andersen01498 since Action Pro Beta is already a paid product one could assume this would be a free upgrade for persons who already own the software, but one still has to buy-in. (Well. There will be a demo, of course.)

• @JoshDaviesCEO I would love to see Action Pro able to record accelerometer data from phones, like @Palacono suggested... in fact I had an idea a while ago that sadly didn't work because I had no way (that I knew of) to record the motion data from my phone

• I've got to understand the apps stores on iOS and Android a little more, but the intention is for the phone/tablet controller apps to be free for Action Pro.

As @Triem23 accurately points out, without Action Pro running on your desktop the phone/tablet app wouldn't do anything.

As for accelerometer data - again I need to understand what is available and how it could be functional in Action Pro (and on to HitFilm Pro).

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator

@JoshDaviesCEO I don't think the android app I'm thinking of is on Google Play anymore (at least it doesn't show up on my apps list). I'd pointed it out to @SimonKJones before, so it's possible he might have it installed. 

It was an animation tool for visualization. Basically it read the accelerometers on the phone and drew plotted curves on the screen. Wave one's arm around (for example) an get a drawn curve. I used to use it as a visual reference to aid in using Bezier keys in Ae or Hitfilm. Not as advanced as what you're trying to do with Action Pro, but enough to speculate. 

Most phones SHOULD have three accelerometers--one for each axis--that you should be able to get position data from. In Android there should be standard defined system calls. In one of the 2.x Android revisions accelerometer calls were standardized specifically to aid mobile game developers. After all, there are all kinds of mobile games controlled by tilting or waving the phone.

So, it's absolutely 100% possible in principle to be able to measure the movement of an Android device by moving it around while extracting rotation and position data. Zoom around the room with your phone and hook the movement of a spaceship to the path, and whatnot. 

One would assume an iPhone has the same sensors. 

But, it's a long way from knowing it's 100% possible vs actually writing the code. Still, if you have any contacts in the mobile gaming industry--especially anyone who has worked on something like a driving game where you tilt the phone--those are people who should be able to point you in the right direction. Also, talk to any contacts you have in mobile AR/VR since the accelerometers are used to track phone locations for calculation of viewpoint (VR/360 video) or overlay graphics (AR). 

• In lieu of a 'like' button........*LIKE*!

• Any more on developing an iPad version?  Looking forward to giving it a try.

• Sorry for the delay on this (please check https://fxhome.com/forum/discussion/48003/whats-happening-with-action-pro). There will be more progress to report soon, but tablet and phone integrations for Action Pro are some of my favourites.