Imports capping at 60fps

Hi guys,

So I'm having trouble with some footage I took on my iPhone on the slow mo setting. I've got the files on my computer, and I've downloaded QuickTime - but when importing the .mov files, they said they were @ 60fps, I know this is not true as iPhone slow mo captures in 240fps. 

The video plays at 60fps normal speed, but if i reduce speed to 25%, I'm on 15fps, instead of down to 60fps at 25%, had the original frame rate been kept in tact.

Tried converting to mp4 and importing with the same result.

How do I import keeping the original frame rate so I can slow mo at high fps?

Comments

• I suggest to use MediaInfo and post the results here.

If Hitfilm recognizes it as 60 fps and when playing the clip it plays normal instead of 4 times slower then it obviously is 60 fps. Double checkt it with MediaInfo.

• Hey there,

MediaInfo Results are as follows for an example of one of the videos:

General
    Complete name : D:\Video Edits\Raglan Wrong Skate\Bail 1.MOV
    Format : MPEG-4
    Format profile : QuickTime
    Codec ID : qt 0000.00 (qt )
    File size : 32.9 MiB
    Duration : 7 s 120 ms
    Overall bit rate mode : Variable
    Overall bit rate : 38.7 Mb/s
    Encoded date : UTC 2018-01-27 02:15:38
    Tagged date : UTC 2018-01-27 02:15:45
    Writing library : Apple QuickTime
    com.apple.quicktime.location.ISO6709 : -37.8001+174.8648+004.017/
    com.apple.quicktime.make : Apple
    com.apple.quicktime.model : iPhone 6s
    com.apple.quicktime.software : 11.2.1
    com.apple.quicktime.creationdate : 2018-01-27T15:15:38+1300

Video
    ID : 1
    Format : AVC
    Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
    Format profile : High@L5.1
    Format settings : CABAC / 1 Ref Frames
    Format settings, CABAC : Yes
    Format settings, RefFrames : 1 frame
    Codec ID : avc1
    Codec ID/Info : Advanced Video Coding
    Bit rate : 38.6 Mb/s
    Width : 1 280 pixels
    Height : 720 pixels
    Display aspect ratio : 16:9
    Frame rate mode : Variable
    Frame rate : 239.986 FPS
    Minimum frame rate : 218.182 FPS
    Maximum frame rate : 240.000 FPS
    Color space : YUV
    Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
    Bit depth : 8 bits
    Scan type : Progressive
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.174
    Stream size : 32.8 MiB (100%)
    Title : Core Media Video
    Color range : Limited
    Color primaries : BT.709
    Transfer characteristics : BT.709
    Matrix coefficients : BT.709

Audio
    ID : 2
    Format : AAC
    Format/Info : Advanced Audio Codec
    Format profile : LC
    Codec ID : mp4a-40-2
    Source duration : 7 s 175 ms
    Bit rate mode : Variable
    Bit rate : 100 kb/s
    Channel(s) : 1 channel
    Channel positions : Front: C
    Sampling rate : 44.1 kHz
    Frame rate : 43.066 FPS (1024 SPF)
    Compression mode : Lossy
    Stream size : 87.1 KiB (0%)
    Source stream size : 87.7 KiB (0%)
    Title : Core Media Audio

• I edited some iPhone slow-mo footage on an older version of HitFilm Express, and it worked fairly reliably, though the current version (Express 2017) is behaving a tad differently.

What you're supposed to be able to do is edit the media properties (click the gear icon for the item in the media bin) and change the frame rate to match the "full speed" rate, which will force the clip to play all frames.  For example, I've got some clips captured at 120fps.  After dragging them into HitFilm and changing the rate of the media to 30fps, it should play all captured frames, so that one second at 120fps now stretches out to four seconds at 30fps.

That's what an older version of HitFilm did seemingly-correctly.  The current version is behaving a little differently.  When I drag in my 120fps clip, it reads it as 60fps (as @Myarj indicates).  Changing the media rate to 30 in HitFilm does slow things down when it's dropped onto the timeline, but it looks like it's going from 60 to 30, not 120 to 30.  It's actually dropping frames from the footage and treating it like 60fps was the original rate, which it definitely wasn't.

As a test, I transcoded the clip using MPEG Streamclip into Apple ProRes 422, forcing the output frame rate to 120fps.  Importing that into HitFilm properly read the 120fps frame rate, and forcing the media rate to 30 played it at the proper slower speed on the timeline.

Transcoding iPhone footage should be done anyway because (reasons given by Mike in the video below).  However, this is yet another reason to transcode: to make sure that custom frame rates are seen correctly by HitFilm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yqhl0mRuTng

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator

@jsbarrett, note that the OP:s footage is VFR. While Hitfilm tries to correctly parse VFR, it can get confused. And cameras up to 240 fps are still relatively new. To quote a Clever (Tagline) Man, "... another reason to transcode."  :) 

• This looks like a bug in HitFilm, thanks for pointing it out, I'll have a look later. In the meantime transcoding to constant frame rate will work.

• Bit of a noob so not quite sure what you mean by transcode to a constant frame rate, I will google and give it a go anyway. If I don't post again I'm still figuring it out!

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator

Watch the video Jsbarret linked. It tells you why you need to transcode and covers multiple tools for doing it. 

• CedricBonnier any progress on the matter?  I've noticed the same using it nearly 5 months later?  Does anyone know if this the same issue using the PRO version of hitfilm

Sign in to comment

Leave a Comment