At 6:30 on the Prism Film by Corridor Digital

edited February 2012 in Filmmaking
Afternoon and sorry if this has already been covered.
There was cool effect applied to the Prism jump which you can see at around 6 mins 30 seconds. Once the guy appears in front of the soldiers the effect of the 'Prism Jump' creates a force shock wave that shoves the soldiers away from him.
I was thinking that this was maybe done with maybe the Displacement or Shockwave effect. Does anyone know if that was the case.? I've got a piece of film where I would like to create that sort of shock wave (none filmed against a green screen so it's all on the same piece of film) but just can't get my head round it. Would I add as a new layer etc.?
Any advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• I did a similar effect in Extraction Protocol. It's quite subtle and is hidden behind the Icarus explosion effect:
    http://youtu.be/2ODeo6EGbSY?t=1m33s
    I did that using a plane with a cloud effect on it (to give it some texture), then used that to displace the video layer. A bit of masking and animation to create an outward circle shape created the 'shockwave' appearance.
  • edited February 2012
    Perfect thanks for the reply Simon. I shall look forward to giving that a go this weekend. So am I right in that the displacement layer was placed on your plane with the cloud layer.?
  • No, the displacement is added to the video layer itself. Then you need to set the displacemnt source to the plane. You can then disable visibility for the plane layer.
  • That makes sense actually. Awesome, thanks Simon I'll look forward to having a proper bash at this
    Thanks for the reply

• No, the displacement is added to the video layer itself. Then you need to set the displacemnt source to the plane. You can then disable visibility for the plane layer.

That is a cool effect. The blades that came out and the guy stab the 2 guards, was that done with a HF effect?

• That is a cool effect. The blades that came out and the guy stab the 2 guards, was that done with a HF effect?

Tbh, I must say I loved the effects in that short film by hitfilm, especially the X-ray vision ones, but the in,y effect I didn't really like was the blood bit at 1:38 , it just didn't seem right, I would have maybe added a small squirt or nothing, but other than that, I thought the effects where awesome, especially that shockwave like effect mentioned above! :D
    In the prism bit with the shockwave thing, do the particles wave around the shockwave if so, it may have been some kind of displacement thingy, or jf they dont, it'd be what Simon said :)

• That is a cool effect. The blades that came out and the guy stab the 2 guards, was that done with a HF effect?

Tbh, I must say I loved the effects in that short film by hitfilm, especially the X-ray vision ones, but the in,y effect I didn't really like was the blood bit at 1:38 , it just didn't seem right, I would have maybe added a small squirt or nothing,

The blades were physical props. HitFilm was used to hide and reveal them to make them look like they were popping in and out of Christopher's arms. I did actually do a separate test, a long time ago, with entirely CG blades created in HitFilm. It worked pretty well, and I imagine would work much better now that we've got motion tracking, but having physical blades was always going to be easier and more effective.
    The actual stabbing shot is also a comp. The guards were shot separately to the agent with the arm blades. This enabled Christopher to properly stab downwards with the blades without actually injuring the other actors.
    I'm hoping to put up a second behind-the-scenes video soon with lots of before/after comparisons.

Sign in to comment

Leave a Comment