Comping additional elements

Sorry but I'm sure this is a really simple question but for the life of me I can't get my head round the solution.
OK, I have some video of someone looking out to sea and I want to composite some tall rocks coming out of the sea in the distance. I ideally would also like to keep the sky that has been filmed.
I have my image of the rocks that I want to composite into the shot but this has elements that I would like to remove (sea, sky etc). This is where I'm now scratching my head. Would the easiest option be to mask round the rocks I want to use and then composite them in as normal..?
Sorry if this sounds really stupid and simple (I'm blaming it on my cold.!)
Cheers
Jay

Comments

• Hi.
    Yes, you can simply mask out the unwanted parts of the image, drop it on the other image and compose it, so it looks like if it was part of the original shot. To do this, just play with the available color correction filters, maybe a little bit of "tint" with linked colors to the original image (this adapts the lowest/highest color to your rock image). You may post the two images here, so I/we can take a look on it...
    Regards,
    Marc
  • If the rocks are a still image, then use Photoshop (or Gimp) to mask out the unwanted bits. It will give you much greater control than using video masks, especially if the shape of the rocks is uneven or rugged. You can probably handle it all in HitFilm if you want, but creating an alpha in Photoshop is how I would go about it.
  • Great stuff. Thank you to the both of you for the advice. For some reason today I just couldn't get my head round it.!
    Thanks again
    Jay
  • Make sure you show us the results. :D

• Hi.
    Yes, you can simply mask out the unwanted parts of the image, drop it on the other image and compose it, so it looks like if it was part of the original shot. To do this, just play with the available color correction filters, maybe a little bit of "tint" with linked colors to the original image (this adapts the lowest/highest color to your rock image). You may post the two images here, so I/we can take a look on it...
    Regards,
    Marc

How do you, "linked colors to the original image (this adapts the lowest/highest color to your rock image)."?
  • edited November 2011
    Hi.
    Tinting your effects is just one possible solution to make it looks like more realistic. Try the following:
    - Drop a tint filter to your effect layer (or greade a new grade layer above the corresponding layers)
    - Use the pipette to 'steal' the lowest imagecolor for black
    - Use the pipette to 'steal' the highest imagecolor for white
    - Play with the Tint-Amount property
    - Add aditional filters to adapt the brightness and/or for further color corrections
    [img]http://hitfilm.monkeybits.de/community/forum/images/tint.jpg[/img]
    Regards,
    Marc
  • Nice tip, Majahr!
  • Sorry, Simon... but thats not just nice... ;-)
    These are the Things i always beg for... ;-)
    GREAT, Marc, many Thanks! :-)

Sign in to comment